Jerry Cans Plastic vs Metal

harbinger808

Adventurer
I use 4 Scepter MWC 20liter water cans along with a Lifesaver 20liter to use just incase. I'll be buying 2 Scepter MFC 20liter fuel cans soon and need to start thinking of a storage system for my vehicle. I'm really impressed with the quality and sturdiness of the Scepters.

M35A2

Tinkerer
I'm naive. What are the issues with it, would water in the plastic inside my truck be ok?

Plastic leaches nasty chemicals; that's the issue. Not an easy one to escape but I do what I can.

BTW, my steel Jerry cans all date to the Korean war and they are all just fine.

rathvona

Observer
yea i may go with steel, there way cheaper than the scepters, ill figure out a way to cover them or something. Unless i find some cheap plastics on eBay.

BajaRunner

Bandito
Scepter MFC (Plastic) jerry cans all the way. NATO style. You get what you pay for. Drop them, drive over them, throw them in an open fire, they are indestructible. Nothing against steel cans, they are great too, but I think the plastic are better overall in holding up against the elements and impact.

Woodsman

Adventurer
Another vote here for Scepters. I've used plenty of metal cans but have now settled on Scepter MFC. Nothing seals like a Scepter.

Yarjammer

Wellreadneck
I have metal ones from Crown since I needed ones with a lip on the bottom. I believe they are the only metal ones you can still buy new that have the old non-CARB spouts. They've been on the back of my JKU 24/7 for about two and a half years in the elements. The powdercoat has oxidized a bit, but they are still in great shape otherwise. They seal tight, don't oilcan like plastic in high heat, and don't rattle when you properly secure them.

I'd love to hear why Scepters are supposedly safer than metal. (Not being an *****, I'm actually curious.)

MOguy

Explorer
I have been using the Scepter MFC from the 90s until present both as a Solider and now civilian. I have never had a problem with them. They don't leak and can taking some serious abuse.

Plastic leaches nasty chemicals; that's the issue. Not an easy one to escape but I do what I can.

BTW, my steel Jerry cans all date to the Korean war and they are all just fine.

Below is the info from Lexington Container, an online reseller for Scepter.

Scepter Military Water Can 20L - 5.28 US gallons

Manufactured to Original Military Spec!

Scepter Military Water Cans are the real deal folks not cheap knock off military water cans.

Description:

Scepter's MWCs (Military Water Cans) are BPA (Bisphenol A) free. BPA is a key building block organic ingredient in some polycarbonate and other plastic materials, but it is not an ingredient in either HDPE or LDPE, the materials used in our MWCs.

The longevity of a MWC - being plastic - is 15 years and beyond, and during that period there is no risk of plastic leaching into the water. In principle, the water can should be for transport and short term storage.

Keeping in mind temperature when storing will have an impact on the longevity of a clean water supply.

Capacity:
20 Liter - 5.28 US gallons

Dimensions:
Height: 18.8” Length - 13.7” Width - 6.8”
Weight: 4.32 lbs

lugueto

Adventurer
I use plastic cans, mainly because it was what I first saw when I had the need to buy them.

These are Blitz cans, when filled to the proper lever they don't leak even when its hot out. My altitude changes are too low to take into consideration. When I go fishing, Yamaha outboard tanks are used and these are also plastic, extremely well built. I don't pay much attencion for the spout on a fuel container because I use an self-siphoning hose, but the Blitz spout is simple to use and works without leaking.

I also use plastic containers for water, even though I understand the downside, I find it hard to avoid it.

harv3589

Adventurer
We use the plastic scepter cans and I really like them...tough and pour nice. I have a couple fuel ones and a couple for water.

robgendreau

Explorer
There are lots of types of plastic. Obviously avoid those cheapy ones like you get at REI from reliance.

I'd go with HDPE, but I use LCI containers cans. They are basically the same as the scepters (there's a lot of debate about the difference, but from what I've seen I think the Scepters come with rubber O rings, the LCI's don't, and the LCI's are cheaper. Construction and durability seems the same.

The LCI's are kinda hard to find; LCI is a company that does a lot of gov't contracting and is for visually impaired folks. You can get two for $52US plus free shipping.
http://www.buylci.com//ItemDisplayF.aspx?itemid=906396

A big advantage over metal is that these are much easier to clean. You can get your whole hand and arm in. I've used them for dry storage, and for black water tanks. I've also put a spigot on (you can just screw in a regular brass spigot), and even added a tire valve and a PVC extension so I could pump in air to make a tank that squirts water out through a hose for transfer, showering, etc. There are some nice add-ons on eBay for spouts and holders and whatnot, but pretty easy to make your own.

We went through bunches of cheaper, non-HPDE containers rafting; they'd always get holes, etc. These work much much much better. Highly recommended, and some of your money goes to a good cause.

gmwelder86

Adventurer
Scepter water and gas cans are the only way to go. Well worth the price. And never had an issue with leakage regardless of pressure or temp

Accrete

Explorer
I didn't see any mention of the plastic Frontrunner Jerry Can with spigot... we use three of them in our van conversion. They will be put in the aluminess jerry can box on the rear bumper this next season. I know some have made mention of the stock spigot leaking, so far haven't noticed any. But I'm pretty sure the brass spigot is a standard item at Home Depot in case the stock one needs replacing.

YMMV,
Thom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12