Jerry cans, which to choose?

Spokerider

I'm making a rear bumper with swing away tire carrier for the Zuk tin top. I would like to add a jerry can to the bumper swing, but will make it so it can easily be re & re as desired.

Thinking of this jerry can;

http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/20-litre-military-style-fuel-can/A-p8451411e

Anyone use one of these? It doesn't come with the spout, looks like it needs to be bought separately. Plastic won't rust, and it *feels* durable. I like the shape / design of this one as it lends itself to making a secure locking system to keep the wanna-be thieves from [ easily ] stealing it while I'm out hiking / hunting and away from the truck.

XJSuperman

OhIOWAn
Why is it nearly $80???? Head on over to Amazon and pick out one of the 25 different types they have available for much much less. I just can't spend 80 bucks on a single gas can, how can you guys do it?

rayra

Expedition Leader
What's ridiculous is that he's IN Canada, shouldn't cost him HALF of that. Even in Canadian money. $80US is what they cost for smuggled ones, here in the USA. Or beat up used ones.

btw, I finally got to personally inspect one of those Scepter civilian market CARB-approved cans at my local 'Pep Boys' chain. Nice sturdy can, on a par with their HDPE water cans, not as thick as the MFCs. And with the small CARB-approved crap cap (SUperSiphon for the win on that). But they wanted $28USD and their size / shape is not the NATO standard. They're a smidge wirder at the base and the sides slope in towards the taller narrower top. Like they're deliberately made NOT to fit the standard carrier gear. At teh Costco price mentioned in an earlier topic about MFCs, I'd be happy to have them. And if I didn't already have eight other various 5-6gal fuel cans. Just not (yet) worth the money to me to buy all new and matching (thank goodness I'm not ridden by OCD)

eta Spokerider in case you really don't know, the Scepter-brand NATO-spec 'MFC' is pretty much the gold standard in fuel cans. Buy it and enjoy. But shop around, they ought to be much cheaper for you in Canada, where you can legally buy them new and use them.

Spokerider

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, our dollar sucks @ss compared to the American dollar right now, and just about everything that is imported into Canada is based on US currency. So, if we want it, we bend over and take it. I was looking at a Miller 252 mig welder at a local tool shop the other day. It went up $500 since Dec 2015!! Ouch.

Anyway, about the jerry can, I'll shop around and see where else I can buy one. Amazon.com is out......they won't even ship to Canuks. Princess auto has the metal ones, military surplus, but being metal will corrode...... rusty fuel not so good for a diesel injection pump......

bijanjames

Adventurer
I am very happy with my NATO Jerry Cans from the Lexington Container Company. Very well made and extract every last drop of fuel when used.

cdn_xj

Observer
Thanks for the replies.

Yes, our dollar sucks @ss compared to the American dollar right now, and just about everything that is imported into Canada is based on US currency. So, if we want it, we bend over and take it. I was looking at a Miller 252 mig welder at a local tool shop the other day. It went up $500 since Dec 2015!! Ouch.

Anyway, about the jerry can, I'll shop around and see where else I can buy one. Amazon.com is out......they won't even ship to Canuks. Princess auto has the metal ones, military surplus, but being metal will corrode...... rusty fuel not so good for a diesel injection pump......

Try DS Tactical in New Westminster.
I got my MWC, MFC, etc. from there.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Thanks for the replies.

People have been using metal cans for decades. Buy a good one and it should be just as good as a Scepter plastic MFC.
I was in the Army during the "transition" from metal to plastic, we used them interchangeably. Can't remember if they had different spouts or not (we didn't call them "spouts" though. ;) )

teotwaki

Excelsior!
People have been using metal cans for decades. Buy a good one and it should be just as good as a Scepter plastic MFC.
I was in the Army during the "transition" from metal to plastic, we used them interchangeably. Can't remember if they had different spouts or not (we didn't call them "spouts" though. ;) )

The flexible metal spout from the metal gas cans will screw into the Scepter plastic gas can

Mass_Mopar

Don't Litter
Nice cans and a great price. NOTE: * they are illegal to put fuel into. Government can make it very painful if you don't follow their stupid rules. Give it a try but it may bite you in the ***.

Don't worry, like all the people who reviewed them, I only fill with non-potable water.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
This is the Scepter can which we can not be currently purchase in the USA. In my opinion this style of fuel can is by far superior than anything available to your south and people who own Scepter cans in the US horde them like gold. The spout is not usually included with the can and needs to be purchased separately.

Buy a load of them, sneak them into the US, and trade them with the locals.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018

XJSuperman

OhIOWAn
They look just like the ones I see in Fleet Farm and Jax Outdoors. Why does it seem like its so hard to get a gas/water can for you guys? I just bought a metal jerry can at an antique mall for 30 bucks. An ANTIQUE MALL! Craigslist has a lot of them for sale too. Ranging in price from 20-50 US dollars.

MOguy

Explorer
I'm making a rear bumper with swing away tire carrier for the Zuk tin top. I would like to add a jerry can to the bumper swing, but will make it so it can easily be re & re as desired.

Thinking of this jerry can;

http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/20-litre-military-style-fuel-can/A-p8451411e

Anyone use one of these? It doesn't come with the spout, looks like it needs to be bought separately. Plastic won't rust, and it *feels* durable. I like the shape / design of this one as it lends itself to making a secure locking system to keep the wanna-be thieves from [ easily ] stealing it while I'm out hiking / hunting and away from the truck.

those are about the best fuel can you can get. I would think you could get them for a better price in Canada.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger