Jerry cans, which to choose?

Woodsman

Adventurer
Definitely go with the Scepter MFC. Being in BC, I'd recommend buying from DS as it will likely cost you much less with shipping and they have more selection of colors.

I've yet to find a metal can that holds a candle to the Scepter and I would never, never consider carrying a metal can on its side or back.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Like many others I started with metal and moved to Sceptre MFCs. Quiet, corrosion proof, super durable. I have a 'spout' but I rarely use it, almost always just use a shaker siphon instead, works great and is super easy to use.

MOguy

Explorer
Like many others I started with metal and moved to Sceptre MFCs. Quiet, corrosion proof, super durable. I have a 'spout' but I rarely use it, almost always just use a shaker siphon instead, works great and is super easy to use.

I have a spot I got of ebay. It is made for stuff you can get at Lowes. HOWEVER, with a siphon and right length hose you can pump fuel out of your cans with out ever having to unpack them.

luckyjoe

Adventurer
I've yet to find a metal can that holds a candle to the Scepter and I would never, never consider carrying a metal can on its side or back.

You should test a NATO-style jerry can for a few years.
NATO_JERRY_CANS_INSTOCK.jpg

IMHO it is by far the best fuel solution. My oldest has been in daily use for 17 years, has been carried upright/on its side/on its spine, never leaked a drop, and no rust inside.

Last edited:

MOguy

Explorer
You should test a NATO can for a few years. IMHO it is by far the best fuel solution. My oldest has been in daily use for 17 years, has been carried upright/on its side/on its spine, never leaked a drop, and no rust inside.

NATO doesn't make cans. About anything the US Military does is compliant with the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO), http://www.nato.int/nato-welcome/. They call them NATO cans because in days-gone-by NATO forces used them. The modern Scepter MFC are UN compliant and far better than the steel ones.

Last edited:

Woodsman

Adventurer
You should test a NATO-style jerry can for a few years.
NATO_JERRY_CANS_INSTOCK.jpg

IMHO it is by far the best fuel solution. My oldest has been in daily use for 17 years, has been carried upright/on its side/on its spine, never leaked a drop, and no rust inside.

I've got several. A couple have never been used. I had used ones previously and wasn't happy with the seal so assumed new ones would be better. Still not happy. Thought they would at least be adequate for the vertical tire carrier but I always see where gas has dripped down the side and people ask why my vehicle smells like gas. I've since found a source for new Scepters so I no longer have those issues. They may work for many like yourself but I haven't found any brand that compares toe-to-toe with the Scepters.

craig333

Expedition Leader
Just wanted to add, I live in CA. Never had anyone even look at my cans and none are CARB compliant.

rayra

Expedition Leader
The NATO style cans are only illegal if you are in one of the CARB States. The exception is the CARB approved fuel can with the NATO closure that we sell.

http://store.adventuretrailers.com/carb-compliant-nato-fuel-can/

They're ALL 'CARB' States, as of ~3yrs ago, when the EPA adopted the CARB fuel can guidelines. We're technically not even supposed to be using 'non-CARB' cans. Even if the Scepter MFCs are far better at keeping fuel where it belongs.

rayra

Expedition Leader
I've got several. A couple have never been used. I had used ones previously and wasn't happy with the seal so assumed new ones would be better. Still not happy. Thought they would at least be adequate for the vertical tire carrier but I always see where gas has dripped down the side and people ask why my vehicle smells like gas. I've since found a source for new Scepters so I no longer have those issues. They may work for many like yourself but I haven't found any brand that compares toe-to-toe with the Scepters.

Got to have the 'real' ones, with the welded centerline seam. And a gasket / stopper that's in decent shape, or they can leak. But otherwise are quite secure. The chicom clone cans just have a folded / pinched seam and are notorious for leaking.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
They're ALL 'CARB' States, as of ~3yrs ago, when the EPA adopted the CARB fuel can guidelines. We're technically not even supposed to be using 'non-CARB' cans. Even if the Scepter MFCs are far better at keeping fuel where it belongs.

Yes I agree with you re. the CARB states. It's a little confusing as the NATO can itself passes CARB compliance, the pour spout that we sell with the can is also CARB compliant. Standard pour spouts are not CARB compliant. We have to sell a spout with every can to be compliant.

The Scepter military fuel can did not pass CARB because the plastic that the can is made of allows vapors to pass through it.

Owning a non CARB fuel can is not illegal. Selling a non CARB compliant fuel can commercially is, and can result in a hefty fine.

Hope that helps to clarify.

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
Yes I agree with you re. the CARB states. It's a little confusing as the NATO can itself passes CARB compliance, the pour spout that we sell with the can is also CARB compliant. Standard pour spouts are not CARB compliant. We have to sell a spout with every can to be compliant.

The Scepter military fuel can did not pass CARB because the plastic that the can is made of allows vapors to pass through it.

Owning a non CARB fuel can is not illegal. Selling a non CARB compliant fuel can commercially is, and can result in a hefty fine.

Hope that helps to clarify.

So just to make sure I can drive thru California on my way to Baja and I will not get stop because of my gas can carriers?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78