Jerry's Homemade Camping Trailer

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
I bought this homemade trailer about ten years ago with the intention of building a Base Camp trailer. I added a tongue and a plywood floor and it has been used around the farm to haul wood, junk and general utility. It has been great in that capacity. Especially for the $50 I had in it.

The family has gotten larger and space is always at a premium. I decided it was time to move forward. A friend gave me a set of Rubicon wheels/tires so I purchased a set of spacer/adapters from http://www.ezaccessory.com. The 285/75/16s are too big. I have a set of 245/75/16s that will replace them.

The frame is welded from 1/4" 3-inch angle iron. When I got it the tongue was designed to tilt but I welded it solid. The springs are short and VERY stiff. They will be replaced by Jeep YJ springs and shocks will be added. I'm not sure what the axle is rated. It is 1/4" thick 2-inch square with 6-lug hubs. No brakes. I moved the axle SOA back in 2000. The height seems reasonable.

Attachments

• SmallIMG_8700.jpg
    SmallIMG_8700.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 51
  • SmallIMG_8706.jpg
    SmallIMG_8706.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 30
  • SmallIMG_8702.jpg
    SmallIMG_8702.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 32

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
I've drawn up multiple configurations trying to decide how I want to finish the trailer. Do I want to keep it open and use it like an Outlander? Enclosed like an AT Horizon or Chaser? Tall with lots of space like an Conqueror? It is a very hard decision.

I'm pretty good working with steel but I finally decided on building something with a fairly low height with a rack on top. I plan to use plywood/fiberglass construction with a lid and a tailgate. The overall concept could be considered a camping/chuckwagon.

This past weekend really helped solidify the layout. I really liked working around the trailer. We had previously camped out of the back of my 2500 Ram with a cap and I didn't like not being able to get to everything without climbing up or unloading everything. My goal for the trailer is to keep everything accessible.

I'm pretty sure the switch from flatbed to locking box will allow me to pack more gracefully. We added two kids plus their toys for the trip home from the local state park over the weekend.

Attachments

• SmallIMG_8605.jpg
    SmallIMG_8605.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 53
  • SmallIMG_8607.jpg
    SmallIMG_8607.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 50
  • SmallIMG_8683.jpg
    SmallIMG_8683.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 79

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
The next camping trip is scheduled for the end of the month. I won't have the trailer exactly like I want it by then but I do plan to have most of the rough work together. I'd like the box/lid roughed in, tailgate, cooler rack, smaller tires and bearings repacked. I think I'll also extend the tongue a foot or so.

I parted out a small slide in truck camper last year for this project and have most of the systems I'd like to incorporate. I also want the trailer to carry extra gasoline. My Grand gets decent mileage on the road, but a trip over White Rim Trail in 2007 had me very nervous about my gas situation. It kept me from taking any of the spur routes.

Things I'd like to incorporate:
19 gallon water system with shower and water heater.
Propane system
Rear Galley/kitchen
12 Volt electrics
Stainless steel table as tailgate.
Bike rack on top

Wish me luck.

stomperxj

Explorer
I think if you want to put longer springs on it, you'll have to add more frame rail behind the existing springs and brace the frame up some. You could try Suzuki Samurai springs. They are shorter than YJ springs but are softer than typical trailer springs like you have. You'll still have to modify the frame no matter what springs you use. Have you tried just pulling a leaf or two out to see how it rides?

Jess

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
I think if you want to put longer springs on it, you'll have to add more frame rail behind the existing springs and brace the frame up some. You could try Suzuki Samurai springs. They are shorter than YJ springs but are softer than typical trailer springs like you have. You'll still have to modify the frame no matter what springs you use. Have you tried just pulling a leaf or two out to see how it rides?

Jess

My current spring pack doesn't have a shackle. The back of the spring slides in the mount. The main and second leaves have an extreme arch. Removing a leaf or two might help, but I'd still prefer a shackle set up. But to specifically answer your question, no I haven't pulled any leaves.

I already have a set of stock YJ leaf springs and a set of 3" lift springs. Cheapskate that I am, it means I'll make them work. The frame definitely needs modified for those, but I don't think I'll need to do a lot of strengthening. I'm thinking welding on a subframe channel to attach the springs.

Oh, and nice build, btw. Seeing what you are doing with plywood has inspired me to use it in my build. Thanks.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears