JETBOIL Product Review

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
JETBOIL

I received the JetBoil system for Christmas from my loving wife. I opened the packaging and scratched my head, thinking this is it? Everything you need is self contained. The fuel canisters aren’t included with the unit but still fit inside with everything else. My JetBoil included a French press, which I was thrilled about. Shortly after opening I was online looking up recipes and available accessories. I heated water for hot chocolate that night. The JetBoil was very impressive. On high, it took around a minute to boil; I get similar results with my MSR whisperlite stove. Unlike my MSR unit, it uses a fuel container instead of a refillable bottle and therefore, creates no soot to get on your hand when packing the unit up. The chance or removing your hair like a gas stove or grill is still very much there. The fuel canister is 3.53 fluid ounces and the max. safe fill level is 2 cups; you could fit an extra cup if you had to, but make certain that the unit is steady. Also, assuming you don’t need a rapid boil and a light boil will work, go that route, otherwise a spill over might occur. All in all, I am very impressed with this unit and its ability. After cooking, you clip the base onto the cup that prevents accidental contact with the cooling fins on the bottom of the cup. The cup itself is insulated in a neoprene sleeve that keeps the hot aluminum cup from burning you, and a lid which covers the remaining exposed cup. Pros for those of us who like to use every square inch of the suit case of travel box: this item couldn’t be more compact. Cons you have to buy the fuel canisters, but I was told other brands will work with it. On the flip side, there is the advantage of the fuel not accidentally leaking out like with fuel bottle units. At least in my experience this is the case. This weekend we used it on a roadside picnic to heat the water for my dehydrated camping food in a bag; it worked awesome. We made some coffee Sunday morning and used the French press, although determining the amount of grounds to use was little tricky, it wasn’t much of a problem…mmmmm very good coffee. So my overall rating is very satisfied.

Aaron
P1130308.jpg

P1130286.jpg

P1130290.jpg

articulate

Expedition Leader
That's awesome. This will be a nice thing to have on backpack trips. Valentine's is around the corner, so I suggest you use the jetboil to make a full meal for her. She might get a kick out of it. There has to be a tasty dessert or two you can whip up.
:eatchicke

Benjisan

Observer
I've never used the Jetboil myself but I read good things about it. I was thinking about getting the jetboil group cooking system but it seems a little unstable. Interesting side note, MSR will be releasing a similar system in the next few months.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
no more unstable than anything with that small of a foot print for a base, becasue you are of course using the bottom of the fuel canister for the base of the system. Though the group sys come with little attachable legs for fuel canister. Or you could make something like I will inevitably do. Im thinking aluminum base plate with tabs that are riveted on so the tabs can slide on and off the outer ring of the fuel canister.

Aaron

Andrew Walcker

Mod Emeritus
I have the Jet Boil system and have been using it for the last 6 months. Even w/ the pot on, it is surprisingly stable. There is a little plastic tri-pod with folding legs that holds the canister securely. Hands down, it excels in boiling water and the french press is the best I've seen out there.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
Benjisan said:
I've never used the Jetboil myself but I read good things about it. I was thinking about getting the jetboil group cooking system but it seems a little unstable. Interesting side note, MSR will be releasing a similar system in the next few months.
I've been using one of these for over thirty years.

Never had it tip over yet.

capture0803200590630_am.jpg

To give an idea of scale the whole stove almost fits in a 1# coffee can.

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
rusty_tlc said:
I've been using one of these for over thirty years.
That's a really nice looking Svea 123. I have a couple of old Optimus 8R stoves, but have gone to a MSR for a lightweight stove. I like that it burns gasoline, kerosene, unleaded, white gas, whatever I can find.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
DaveInDenver said:
That's a really nice looking Svea 123. I have a couple of old Optimus 8R stoves, but have gone to a MSR for a lightweight stove. I like that it burns gasoline, kerosene, unleaded, white gas, whatever I can find.
After 30+ years mine dosen't look near that good. I snaged that pic off the interweb. :D
The new stoves they have are really neat, I just cant justify replacing my old stove when it works so darned well. BTW it burns any kind of gas, even leaded.

Benjisan

Observer
Okay, I caved and bought a Jetboil. I just fired it up and tried out the coffee press. Not bad at all, fast boil time, the press worked alright, and I had a great cup of coffee in minutes. Can't wait to field test it.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
The JetBoil is one of those items that I have not yet found a good excuse to buy. Probably on some sale in the near future I'll give it a go!

The only negtive with cartridge stoves is very cold weather. The fuel stays liquified in the cannister. You'll need to stick the cold thing inside yor sleeping bag or jacket and warm it up. For my MSR Pocket Rocket I made an insulating sleeve to help keep the metal cannister warm a bit longer.

Some climbers have fabricated a heat pipe out of copper tube that wraps once around the cannister and then the other end is placed in the flame. They trade off the small chance of explosion for the light weight cannister stove approach. Not something I've ever wanted to try.:(

Scott Brady

Founder
Chris and I are going to use one on the Arctic trip to make food in the truck while driving. Should be a good test :chowtime:

Andrew Walcker

Mod Emeritus
OK, I really have to give JetBoil props. I broke my plastic cover that goes on the bottom of the mug, totally my fault. I get the paperwork out to look for the warranty number and realize that I had never filled out the registration paperwork and sent it in, oh well. I get a hold of a reall person within 30 seconds of calling and describe what happened, credit card in hand, fully expecting to pay. The result is, "No problem and no charge, it's in the mail"!!!:wings: Great Company and great product!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78