JK 4-door to 2-door long wheelbase conversion.....

Clutch

<---Pass
Depending on how much time you wanted to spend on the design.........

You could just have the entire side of the top open up vertically. If you retained the factory 4-door B-pillar in the conversion you would even have a pretty decent seal on the front edge of the access panel.

I saw a European commercial utility truck conversion on something that was kinda like that. The entire back kinda opened up. I wish I could find a picture.

Yes, exactly what I am talking about. Like this but on a smaller scale...of course without the standing platform.:ylsmoke:

ktm-truck-ready-for-the-dakar-rally-2010-13974_1.jpg

ktm-dakar-support-vehicle-1.jpg

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I needed a pic with a more accurate wheel size for my final use.....39.5s are about right....

nemesisrigchop.jpg

I don't really care for the color, but I think it give's a really good perspective on size with a person in the picture. Sorry 4wheel and Sport Utility and Nemesis Industries for chopping your pic up. I saw this JK at the EJS vendors show and really liked it. Ah photoshop, what fun you are.

I'm really digging the panel side 2-door concept.....

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I did a little more digging into this over the weekend....

It seems that Mopar is listing a seperate part number for each part of the JK8 body kit. For the long wheelbase conversion you wouldn't need the full kit. Perhaps ordering just the 'J8' parts would be the way to go....

155111pdf_014.jpg

Anyone want to try and run the part numbers through to see if they are available :)

It would seem that the conversion with the 'pickup' part would be a bit less work.....

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I wanted to see it in 'expo' white :)

whitepanelwagon.jpg

Thanks to JP magazine for the donor pic. The definition is a little washed out, but I like the simple clean looking while 'PanelWagon'

The idea is getting really close to what I want in my head. Now I just need to investigate some construction options.....

Last edited:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Another white 'chop. I think the all while flares are a little much. I would rather have the base black textured flares.....

allwhitepanelwagon.jpg

This could be fairly accurate if you where to take a stock 4-door top and stock 2-door top and graft them together in the middle. Then remove the side windows with a panel. Then paint it a matching body color.

This would be the most possible build technique. It uses all factory parts of one form or another. The factory top is basically just fiberglass (?) so joining the two sections should be fairly easy. I don't know how easy the flat panels on the side would be to eliminate the windows? I think the factory top is made in more than one part? (not including the removable factory freedom panels in front )

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Does anyone have a measurement from the top of the windshield to the rear most point on the hard top on a 4-door JK?

I'm trying to figure out some mold size and design stuff.

Thanks.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Does anyone have a measurement from the top of the windshield to the rear most point on the hard top on a 4-door JK?

Thanks.

If someone is going to hit their JKU with a tape measure, can you please also measure the width of the of the top.

Thanks X 2

-Dan

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I contacted SnugTop to see if they would be interested in manufacturing the top. Never know till you ask.

drgnhrt1979

Adventurer
I contacted SnugTop to see if they would be interested in manufacturing the top. Never know till you ask.

Good luck, if there is profit in it for them, they should have no problems making it for you. I am sure if they make it they could sell enough to warrant the cost to get make yours as the 1st one.

Patman

Explorer
How about asking A/T to make a habitat without the provision for the rear doors? That would rock. Its just glass wouldn't be too hard to do yourself.

I'm definately with you on the 2 door lwb. Maybe a 3 door, leave the pass door for access, like the old burbs.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
How about asking A/T to make a habitat without the provision for the rear doors? That would rock. Its just glass wouldn't be too hard to do yourself.

I'm definately with you on the 2 door lwb. Maybe a 3 door, leave the pass door for access, like the old burbs.

The habitat mod could work, for me I want the top as light as possible.

I was looking at the JK top a little more in depth. To me it looks like the top is made in multiple parts and then basically glued together? It looks like the panel where the side window is could perhaps be removed and a new longer windowless panel fitted.

Why not just remake the entire top in carbon fiber while your at it. I wonder how light that would end up being?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger