JK Dual Band Antenna Mount

Akecj7

Observer
I just relocated my Diamond Antenna dual band antenna that I use with my Kenwood 710A. I originally had the antenna mounted in the rear next to the spare tire. I started having issues with SWR and ended up tracing the issue to interference with the tire its self. I got this idea from this thread http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/51254-EarthRoamer-XV-JP-quot-Northwest-Edition-quot and figured I would share my install.

I picked up a Diamond K400S w/13.5ft of coax kit from HRO. I had to trim a piece off in order to get it it sit flush. Here is a picture of how much I had to trim.

IMG_20120521_101648.jpg

I had one of my machinist at work trim on our mill to ensure a clean cut. I removed the trim piece on the driver side, and then trimmed the small piece of aluminum, and then tightened the set screws then reattached the trim piece. I had to leave the lower bolt in the trim piece.

IMG_20120522_163733.jpg

IMG_20120522_163739.jpg

IMG_20120522_164116.jpg

I then finished the assembly of the mount and attached my antenna. I am probably going to pull it apart again and move the coax to the rear to help protect it a little more.

IMG_20120522_165144.jpg

IMG_20120522_184719.jpg

IMG_20120522_184725.jpg

I did and quick test with my SWR meter, and it was nearly 1:1, fired it up and was able to hit a local repeater that I normally would have barely gotten into before from the same location talked to my dad and he does not remember it being as clear as it is now. I would recommend this location to anyone that has a JK. When I get my general license I am going to do the same thing with the same setup on the passenger side.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Thanks for sharing the information. The antenna on my JK camper is in pretty much the same place and I am pleased to hear that it's a good choice.

Akecj7

Observer
May I make a suggestion?

IF you can, get the coax behind the mount instead of in front of it. I don't know if you ever get into brush, but I see the coax being snagged and ripped off as is. You may also wish to cobble together a brush antenna like I did for Cactus Red: http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...d-antenna-for-brush-country?highlight=antenna

I actually had it mounted this way first then realized it was not the way I wanted and re-did it and after I had things tight noticed the coax slide forward again. So that is actually my plan as soon as I get some time hopefully this weekend.

Thanks for sharing the information. The antenna on my JK camper is in pretty much the same place and I am pleased to hear that it's a good choice.

No thank you for the original post for the idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears