JK Front Runner Water Tank Install

mmccurdy

Adventurer
Background
Wanting to extend the amount of time I can be completely self-sufficient on expedition-style trips, I was finding that fresh water was a major limiting factor. More importantly, my old method of carrying water relied on NATO-style jerry cans which were occupying space on the bumper and roof that I wanted to use for fuel.

3ff82610032089103c33b7c68ff1835b.jpg

I found this tank at Equipt, it's from Front Runner, a South African company who also makes auxiliary fuel tanks for several vehicles (though sadly not mine). I liked that it would carry lots of water -- about 14 gallons -- and that it would keep the load centered and relatively low, while not impinging too much on my cargo space.

Unboxing and First Impressions
The tank arrived via FedEx after just a few days (thanks Paul!) and the box showed some signs of wear, but the contents were just fine. It is a very stout tank. Before it arrived, I was worried about cargo sliding around and possibly damaging it, but it's constructed of thick food-grade polyethylene, and I'm not concerned about this anymore. The tank is bundled with a drain tube, and a bung with a 90-degree bend, a valve, and a strap for securing the valve end of the tube.

web.jpg

Materials / Tools
(all materials can be sourced from a common hardware store -- I went to Lowes)
- 4x Spring Toggle Bolts (make sure you search for the larger ones -- these are rated to 380lbs. of tension and 1200lbs. of shear)
- 4x 1/4x20x5" bolts
- 4x thumb screws
- 2x flat aluminum bar, 1 1/2" wide and long enough to extend the height of the tank
- Something to make a 3/4" hole in the sheet metal of the back seats. I used a hole saw.

web.jpg

Installation
1. Prepare the mounting hardware -- I removed the spring toggles from the bolts that came with them and threaded the 5" bolts in the reverse direction so they would create a stud when I inserted them into the back of the seats:

web.jpg

2. Mark and drill for the holes. I chose to use the outer four (the tank has five total) and found that in my 4-door JK there are some pre-exisitng holes almost perfectly aligned to where I needed the top studs to be. I cut back the carpet and was able to push the spring toggles right through:

web.jpg

For the lower holes, I did have to drill:

web.jpg

The studs installed:

web.jpg

3. Cut and shape the aluminum straps. I got the rough shape with a cutoff wheel and finished it up with a grinder. Aluminum was nice and soft. "Dry fit" the tank to make sure everything lines up, retain the straps with the thumb screws:

web.jpg

4. I painted the straps black to give them a little more finished look:

web.jpg

5. My first test of the tank, it leaked around the bottom fitting. I wrapped with several turns of teflon tape, and it seems to be holding now:

web.jpg

mmccurdy

Adventurer
The Finished Job
Here are a few more shots of the finished product. Overall, very happy with how it went in. Looking forward to testing it in the field.

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

miyvh7

I have also been interested in this tank since you first posted. I would like to hear your thoughts on the livability of the design, Filling, usage, sloshing, and how much movement under load you see in the tanks current location. Looks like a very good design though

mmccurdy

Adventurer
I have also been interested in this tank since you first posted. I would like to hear your thoughts on the livability of the design, Filling, usage, sloshing, and how much movement under load you see in the tanks current location. Looks like a very good design though

Got your PM, but figured I'd reply here. I don't have any off-road testing done with this yet, but I should have in another couple of weeks.

Filling is very easy, just run a hose to the filler opening. It's difficult to see the water level without peeking in periodically, but no big deal.

I have been driving around (on the road anyway) with it half full and then topped off. There is no noticeable sloshing in either case. I suspect you might hear a bit on a rough trail, but I don't think it will bother me. I can't notice any added sway from the tank either, but again I haven't had it at extreme angles yet.

I'll report back when I get some trail miles under my belt with it.... :smiley_drive:

maXTERRA

Adventurer
That is a great water tank!
Any chance of getting some measurements for the wheelwell cutouts?
I see its 53wx24hx3d on the overall dimensions, but am curious if it would fit in the same location of my Xterra?

mmccurdy

Adventurer
That is a great water tank!
Any chance of getting some measurements for the wheelwell cutouts?
I see its 53wx24hx3d on the overall dimensions, but am curious if it would fit in the same location of my Xterra?

35 1/2" at the base where it narrows. It occurs to me maybe I should have put this thread in "Storage Solutions" instead of the Jeep build thread, but oh well...

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
So what is the overall feeling on this tank? How does it perform if you need to lay down your seats?

I like the idea, but when I go out, I usually fold down my seats for max cargo space and wondered if this would present a leaking problem...

mmccurdy

Adventurer
Had the tank out in the field over the weekend, and it performed admirably. I wound up pulling the hose out the trunk area to the right of my fridge + slide which I mounted following this writeup.

There is really no noticeable sloshing on the trail, but you can hear it if you listen for it.

I realized you can use the transparent hose as a sight gauge. If you hold the opening up above the fill and open the valve, then wait for the level to settle out, you can get a reading on how high the water is.

When I boiled a pot of water from the tank, I noticed there was a slight white residue that that was left in the pot. I had only filled/driven/emptied the tank about twice prior to having it out, and I failed to really fill it and slosh it around before I mounted it, so I'm guessing it's just needs a more thorough washing to get rid of it.

You will need to tighten the hell out of the hose clamps at both ends of the hose to stop it from leaking. Like way more than it seems like you should have to.

In terms of folding the seats down, I typically don't run that way. I frequently have rear seat passengers, even when off road. I may use the rear seat footwell for some "overflow" cargo space, but my goal is really to keep everything in the trunk area and on the roof. I can do it if I fold them together (the tank would then be on its side), or I can remove the tank with the thumb screws. I've been that if I really need this capability, I will need to shorten the mounting studs and cap them, then use an extension to interface with the thumb screw when I fold it back up.

Anyway, hope that helps, still overall very happy with the setup.

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
Most excellent. Thanks for the review. It seems like a great product. Question: IF I fold down my rear seat, do you think it could handle gear being place on top of it? I would then raise up the rear seatback when I need to use gravity to get water out of it.

Basically it's a question of strength. SHould I just email FrontRunner?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears