JK LED Fog replacements!

lax71vcu

Adventurer
I just installed a set of Inspired Engineering Revolver Fog lights. I will simply say WOW. Great product. Well built. Install was EASY! I was able to install and clean up during my 5 month olds nap. Most time consuming part was taking the time to aim them properly. These lights throw a nice beam and are a great improvement over stock fogs and compliment the stock headlights ( I know they suck) VERY WELL. Much better visibility from front of jeep to out to about 40 feet. The hot spot is far less then it was with stock fogs right in front. These fogs give you lots of options for adjustability. The one thing I love that these lights do is lighting the periphery at a distance (the are spots). It is not bright light at a distance but enough to see a street sign before you are on top of it and enough to light up a deers eyes alerting you to is presence (the main reason I wanted spots). I can't say enough good about these as they are priced right really improve the over all lighting on the front of the Jeep. I am now thinking of some A-Pillar lights (spots too!) to really light up the periphery. Oh and did I mention they are ROUND (keeps in the Jeep theme).

great product, lifetime warranty, fast shipping, will definitely purchase more!

Septu

Explorer
If you're running spots... unless their aimed down, they're likely going to bother other drivers.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
From your description they're not foglights and shouldn't be used on the road.
There are lots and lots of lights you can fit in those holes but most aren't legal to use on public streets with your lowbeams.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Yep, correct, they are NOT fog lights. The led light craze has not caught on quite so bad in my area, but the effing stupid blue HID craze has and everyone that comes towards me with a set of those gets my HELLAs back at them...most are single beam on high beam. Drives me batty!

lax71vcu

Adventurer
Thanks for the input guys. I agree and the lights were sold as "Offroad Only" I made the decision to install and run them. I made the effort to aim to avoid blinding oncoming traffic. I do like the lights and they are affordable and backed by a nice warranty so I think will fill a market niche that is tough to fill. I drive through a very rural area and needed an affordable improvement that could be aimed slightly out to increase my view of bambi.

Septu

Explorer
Thanks for the input guys. I agree and the lights were sold as "Offroad Only" I made the decision to install and run them. I made the effort to aim to avoid blinding oncoming traffic. I do like the lights and they are affordable and backed by a nice warranty so I think will fill a market niche that is tough to fill. I drive through a very rural area and needed an affordable improvement that could be aimed slightly out to increase my view of bambi.

Not knocking the benefits of being able to see wildlife (that's a major issue up here - with much bigger animals, so I understand completely). Just simply an observation that these will likely bother oncoming traffic (even when aimed down this could potentially be an issue).

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Not knocking the benefits of being able to see wildlife (that's a major issue up here - with much bigger animals, so I understand completely). Just simply an observation that these will likely bother oncoming traffic (even when aimed down this could potentially be an issue).
They'll do that and also adversely affect the user's ability to see at any distance. The added foreground light will constrict his pupils.
Lights like these fool the user by flooding the foreground and providing lots and lots of reassuring light. They also paint the landscape with more light ---- and you can see this, measure it, etc.
But that combination is no good on the road at any speed; it's fine for crawling and that's about it.

Foglights, real ones, are for fog, heavy rain, and slow-speed driving. Driving lights, real ones, are for driving at speed and spotting Bambi. Real driving lights don't flood the foreground with light; they supplement the highbeams.

Step one should always be to make your headlights as good as possible.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
That's why everyone is going bonkers over these LED light bars like rigids. As far as I have experienced, they are a total waste of money for using as true driving lights. They seriously flood the foreground with huge amounts of light, and not putting out light far down the road. I was in washing my suburban the other day, and a guy had 2 rigid SR 12" light bars on the front of his truck. I asked him how they were. He said awesome, they light up everything out the road, he pointed to the road from the wash bay, less than 100 ft. As far as im concerned this is useless for a true driving light here in newfoundland. We need long range lighting to spot brown speed bumps on the highways (huge moose). I have 1000ft of useful light, NOT reflective light from my driving lights. When I have them on, you cannot see my truck lite headlights. I have awesome light spread and long range lighting from them. They work so good, I do not need to add any other lighting on my rig. Using my truck lites for basic lighting, My hella 430 yellow fogs for crap weather and My HID hella 500 driving beams for night time driving on the highways (hooked to my highbeam trigger not to blind other drivers), I have a complete lighting system. I would like to upgrade my factory fog lights to something a little brighter but have the same beam pattern. I am going to try the PIAA fogs, and if they don't work, the JW will be going in.

If I were you, I would hook up the lights you have to your highbeam instead of your fog circuit. That way you can trigger them with the highbeams like they should be run for spotting "bambi".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman