JK minor suspension lift, upgrade to adjustable shocks, add air springs (or AiROCK)

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I read a guy put on ACOS Pros on a jk and didn't think they did much more than lift it a little. He then said he was playng in the dunes and was just cruising along having fun. Then he noticed the tire tracs on the return. The Jeep was leaving the ground on all 4's and he never even knew it. This rather expensive option would raise the allready awsome suspension you have just right and give you air bumps. Thats would be be$t.
http://store.jksmfg.com/merchant2/m...RO&Store_Code=JKS01&Category_Code=Coil_Spring

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
It lists part numbers; what are they?
Does it have brakeline relocation brackets, something for the trackbars, caster angle, swaybar links, maybe control arms (front/rear)? Does it have a no BS warranty like RockKrawler?
The more complete OME kits are something new for them; they used to just sell springs and shocks and tell people they were done.

96discoXD

Adventurer
You're spot on here Bill. When I bought my OME kit for my YJ I realized that the retailer had essentially put together a "kit", but OME only sells components. If I did OME on my JK I wouldn't buy a kit and pay $90 for the rear track bar bracket, I'd buy the springs I wanted, the shocks and then do adjustable track bars front and rear with reinforcement brackets welded on the axle.

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper
It lists part numbers; what are they?
Does it have brakeline relocation brackets, something for the trackbars, caster angle, swaybar links, maybe control arms (front/rear)? Does it have a no BS warranty like RockKrawler?
The more complete OME kits are something new for them; they used to just sell springs and shocks and tell people they were done.

It is 'just' a spring and shock kit. Is that a 'bad' reply for what the OP was asking advice about? Seemed to me, that a kit with heavy load springs and shocks would be something to take a look at and may even work better than Rancho adjustable shocks and air bags???

"I am planning a minor suspension lift, adding air springs and upgrading to adjustable shocks"

As I wrote in my 1st reply, I have no knowledge about ARB/OME kits, I only know what I read.

Has anyone used ARB/OME springs and shocks to lift a JK 2" ???

ronner

Just to add to the RockKrawler endorsements...
A friend just put the 2.5" Max travel kit on his JK Un. Rubi and it drives great. Havent wheeled it yet, so Jury is still out on that. However the parts are really beefy and very well built.
Also, rather than the Bilstiens, I would use the new RockKrawler shocks. My friend has those on his kit and they are really nice. Little more expensive, but rebuildable.

I can understand the hate on airsprings (bags), but just like spring based kits, there are good and bad options. I have an airock system (had it on for about 1.5 years) and it is great for my uses. Sounds complicated but it really isnt that complex a system. Key is understanding the installation and what needs to be done to prevent issues in the future. Certainly not for everyone though.
The beauty is that no matter the load in my JK, the ride heght will be consistent. It is a DD so I also need to be able to get into parking garages.

Anyway, Go with the RockKrawler kit you wont be disappointed.
Ron

JDaPP

Adventurer
I have the airlift bags in my Jeep Liberty and I highly recommend them. I don't have the compressor, I just fill them with an air compressor before I go and I find they work just as advertised.

bconrad5150

I can only speak to the Rancho 9000's. They are a great shock. I have had a set on my TJ for a couple years now. Excellent ride on and off road. I have not had a problem with anything breaking as well. When I lift my JK, I am looking at the AEV kit. The lift is about a year off, so I have time...

Gary Franks

Update on my plans… AiROCK

As a result of posting my question on this and other forums, I was introduced to the AiROCK suspension system. I’ve been doing some homework on it and I am scheduled to see an installation and get a demonstration of the system from an installer this coming Monday.

I welcome your comments or questions on the product beforehand so that I may get the most out of my visit with the installer. It’s a 4-hour drive to the AiROCK dealer in Oceano, California, so I want to get as much decision-making information as I can.

The AiROCK system is expensive. It got me to thinking that maybe I shouldn’t spend that much money on my current ’08 Sahara. So, if I like the AiROCK system, my plan is to trade-in my Sahara for a brand new 2011 Rubicon. Of course, that will give me a Dana 44 front axle (instead of my Dana 30), front and rear lockers, sway-bar disconnect and a 4.10:1 gear ratio (instead of my 3.73:1).

I’ve visited the Jeep dealer and picked out a fully loaded Rubicon Unlimited that looks identical to my Sahara. I think that I can make the switch for under $20,000. Of course, I will have the added expense of duplicating the modifications that I have already made to my Sahara (roof rack, lights, etc.), so that will be a few thousand more.

I will report back after my AiROCK demonstration.

alexfm

Explorer
As a result of posting my question on this and other forums, I was introduced to the AiROCK suspension system. I’ve been doing some homework on it and I am scheduled to see an installation and get a demonstration of the system from an installer this coming Monday.

I welcome your comments or questions on the product beforehand so that I may get the most out of my visit with the installer. It’s a 4-hour drive to the AiROCK dealer in Oceano, California, so I want to get as much decision-making information as I can.

The AiROCK system is expensive. It got me to thinking that maybe I shouldn’t spend that much money on my current ’08 Sahara. So, if I like the AiROCK system, my plan is to trade-in my Sahara for a brand new 2011 Rubicon. Of course, that will give me a Dana 44 front axle (instead of my Dana 30), front and rear lockers, sway-bar disconnect and a 4.10:1 gear ratio (instead of my 3.73:1).

I’ve visited the Jeep dealer and picked out a fully loaded Rubicon Unlimited that looks identical to my Sahara. I think that I can make the switch for under $20,000. Of course, I will have the added expense of duplicating the modifications that I have already made to my Sahara (roof rack, lights, etc.), so that will be a few thousand more.

You probably considered this already, but why dont you just pull the more "aesthetic" mods of the 08 and swap them onto the '11? Just a thought.

alosix

Expedition Leader

If you have any questions about AiRock I've had it on my TJ for almost 10 years now. I've also done a 6" Gen I setup on an XJ and just struck a deal on most of the parts I need to do a newish AiRock setup on my M725 :)...

granted, I haven't worked with an off the shelf kit in a while now.

alosix

Expedition Leader
also, unless you are really set on that rubicon, for most overland type travel t-case in the sahara will be more tolerable. A JK Rubi front isn't that expensive to source and install either.

RunninRubicon

Adventurer
OME (heavy)

I have a 08' Rubi and I have ran the OME 2.25" lift kit for over 25,000 miles. It's really more like a 3" for one. Two, I pull a 1500-2000lb off-road trailer with this lift. The suspension is built for adding heavy front and rear bumpers and adding a winch and a tire-carrier. I don't currently have these on my rig and at times the suspension is stiff. However, it handles very well with or with-out a load. Sits level w and w/o the trailer (trailer tongue load is the secret). I like the shocks. Not as flexy as say Bilsteins but tuffer in the hard stuff. Very litte rebound coming off big rocks. Handles washes and wash-boards very well. All in all, I am a happy camper. It's impossible to have your cake and eat it too IOW-a single suspension lift can't do everything for everyone all the time. That said, OME has put together a great kit. Someday maybe I can afford their bumpers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger