jk pop top?

XXXpedition

Explorer
i'd be interested, but here in europe TÜV is probably getting in the way and having them giving you a license will most likely cost quite a bit plus i believe there are not enough wranglers around to make it worth it.

anyhow would i like to see one and maybe one day it might make it to germany, etc.

to be honest: i like the sketch on the aev website better than the prototype they built...
vehicles_show_outpost_jk_sketch.jpg

TCM

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0006
I would be very interested in in one of these for the JK. I have lusted over the AEV prototype since its introduction. If you add up the cost of a roof rack plus a RRT it is very similar to what you are targeting. Plus a pop top could be lighter and obviously more integrated with the vehicle. Include some load capacity on top like the AEV unit (to carry bikes in my case) and I am totally sold.

tommudd

Explorer
i'd be interested, but here in europe TÜV is probably getting in the way and having them giving you a license will most likely cost quite a bit plus i believe there are not enough wranglers around to make it worth it.

anyhow would i like to see one and maybe one day it might make it to germany, etc.

to be honest: i like the sketch on the aev website better than the prototype they built...

I agree the above one looks the best raised and lowered! I have been looking at JKs for a while now but haven't bought one yet. If something like above was available,( without the outside entrance) it just may seal the deal!

dsw4x4

Adventurer
michaelkkirk,
Thank you for pointing that out, it must of been a late night when I add that signature.
Thanks to everyone for the comments, I am guessing that a inside and outside access will both be options. I to like would like the top to pop straight up instead of tilt up. However you would be suprised at the space the clamshell design. My girl friend stands up in our top bunk and she is 5'5". The draw back with the top going straight up is you lose the extra height and you lose the option of putting one or two wee bunks on the ceiling. Eventually I would like to build both but I am leaning towards the tilt up design first. As far as tall people go the standard mattress 77 (6'5") inches tall if you really want a longer mattress we can make them to any custom length. I am 6'2" and sleep very comfortable on that length mattress.
I to like to bring toys along everywhere I go so having a roof rack option will be a top priority. Tonight I will be posting new detailed pics on the website of our top bunk. To give you a better idea of the space it has, check them out and let me know what you think.
Thanks
Derek

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
Obviously I'm interested, very interested, as I'm also very interested in the FlipPac. Just decided though to go the trailer way, at least for the time being.

I concure on liking the sketch better than the prototype as well.

skaggs9573

Observer
Sounds like an awesome idea! I would definatley be interested. Can't wait to see some type of concept pics. I'm only running a soft top right now, and looking to buy a hard top soon, but I will now be waiting on the JK Pop Top. If you need a R & D vehicle, I would be happy to volunteer!:beer::Wow1:

XXXpedition

Explorer
If something like above was available,( without the outside entrance) it just may seal the deal!
i agree that the entrance must come from the inside...
an outside option might be nice but the main thing has to be all interior!

Doin_It

Adventurer
The front third of the pop top is "useless" really, cause of the front seats. So why not hinge from the front? Less "wall" for the wind to blow and shake the canvas, you'd get into bed from the back either way, and your feet would be to the front of the vehicle. If you had a 1/2 matters like a SMB you have more head room on a flip/clam type wouldn't you?

XXXpedition

Explorer
The front third of the pop top is "useless" really
i don't get your point...
i can sleep above the front seats just as well as above the rear seats... and it makes for more interior space atop. if you were to be able to cover the entrance hall you could also have a kid sleep up there...

and it's nicer if you don't have to climb up and then turn around to put your feet in the shallow space up front.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179