JK Roof Racks

Hannibal USA

Adventurer
roll over from a thread in the trailer section. http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/59290-Sierra-4x4-Trailers../page4

I used the Hannibal rack with the aluminum rails that help distribute the weight over the top. Hannibal directions tell you to drill completely through the hard top. I don't like this idea at all.
I bought some weather tight "mushrooming" riv-nuts that are meant for for rack installation. I did some research on the strongest part of the hard top, which is just outboard of the rib on the hard top. This is due to it transfers the load to the side of the top. I just drilled through the first (outer) layer of the hard top in 6 points on each rail.
Works great! I can get some photos if you want some.

257187_221184327902713_203925396295273_761270_2073109_o.jpg

IMAG0008.jpg

IMAG0003.jpg

IMAG0005.jpg

DesertJK

Adventurer
Seems like a lot for such a limited use rack. It is not full length, it is not self supporting, so it can not be used with out the hard top, and the top is weak as hell (don't ask how I know) It is also the same price as the Gobi http://www.gobiracks.com/Jeep/JKL.html

I will be getting the Gobi.

dstock

Explorer
I already have Yakima racks and bars installed in my hardtop for use with a cargo box. Gobi rack is great but I don't want a full time rack on my jeep due to noise and gas consumption issues, and full length racks are pain to use with soft tops. Eventually I want to go with a trailer, but it's great to know I could go RTT for now on hardtop and then move it to my trailer later.

DesertJK

Adventurer
but it's great to know I could go RTT for now on hardtop and then move it to my trailer later.

I would NOT, I repeat NOT use a RTT with a rack that is supported by the roof alone. My roof was crushed last winter by about 50 pounds of 2x4's falling on it. We found during the repair that it is made out of some really weak stuff. I is an ABS fiber composite, not fibre glass. Upon tearing into it, we found cracks not related to the 2x4 damage. Most likely they were from a 50 pound canoe, snow load (sometime 3 feet in a night) or it was hust made in China (actually later found out they are made in Italy)

Hannibal USA

Adventurer
I have 12,000 miles on this set up and about 4,000 of that of off road use. High sierra mountain and washboard Nevada roads..not smooth dirt....with no cracks and no problems at all. My jeep has 91,000 miles on it

willywaxer

Who drives with an RTT deployed? Looks like it must have been a parade. Anyways, I agree with others, the Gobi rack is the gold standard. Mine operates easy with a soft top. I ride with an ARB Simpson III up top along with ARB awning when camping and have never had any issues. I ruined a hardtop on a previous JK by bolting Yakima stuff directly to it.

jomobco

Now Decanter
I ruined a hardtop on a previous JK by bolting Yakima stuff directly to it.

Directly or to a rail with the quick connect? I was thinking of running the Thule rails but putting some aluminum bar backing on the inside to help distribute the loads of a ski rack/bike rack - basically two crossbars on the back half of the top. Thoughts?

dirty Bakers

Conservative
Well i like it. I really like how hinge type brakets are used i might do something similar on our grand wagoneer.

kklasman

I'm using Yakima gutter mounts on the hardtop rain gutters on my 4-door JK...

But I'm concerned about the strength of those gutters. Thule markets gutter mounts for JK hardtops, but Yakima doesn't. I presume that Yakima doesn't consider them strong enough.

I'm only carrying kayaks up there so its not a lot of weight, but I imagine the stress put on the gutters by wind on the kayaks at speed is not too good.

Is anyone else doing this? Has anyone damaged their hardtops this way?

I'm saving for a Gobi...

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: I've gotta little over 10,000 miles on my JKUR using the MBRP JKU rack and have carried over 300 lbs withit--

No visable effects/ no noise/ no gas mileage effect-

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

Akecj7

Observer
I just install the Frontrunner 2.2m rack on our 4 door last Friday. It mounts very similar to what Chris did with the rubber mounts. Rack is super stable even with a RRT. I also purchased the quick release kit for the tent and it is worth every penny. I will post some pictures tonight of rack and if I can find some with the tent on it I will post those as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears