JK Rooftop tent mounting options.

gwayms

Observer
Can anyone post some pics of how you have your RTT mounted on your JK. Need to see what my options are.

JPK

Explorer
Here's a link to Front Runner's website that shows their tent on a JK - mounted on their QD RTT sytem to theur rack: http://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/Roof-Top-Tents/FRONT-RUNNER-FEATHER-LITE-ROOFTOP-TENT-p93.html

It's in their 360* viewing option, so I think you can click and look at various angles. If the link doesn't work, go to their home page and click 360* Viewer, and that should show a shadow JKU with their rack. Other FR gear will be listed on the right in red. Click and/or drag and the JKU will be shown with that option or accessory.

Hope this helps,

JPK

Bubblegoose1

@PNWINFERNOPRO
Just saw these pics in the Cascadia (rooftop) Tents site
aefdd972-ea0d-0c36.jpg

aefdd972-ea1f-ba94.jpg

wagsww3

Explorer
Here's mine mounted to brackets on the roll bar.

Attachments

• IMG_1611.JPG
    IMG_1611.JPG
    306.5 KB · Views: 332
  • IMG_1619.JPG
    IMG_1619.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 273
  • IMG_0157.jpg
    IMG_0157.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 266

MTDIRK

I am looking at the Gobi rack with an eezi awn and was curious how difficult it is to change which direction the tent opens. Is it easy to change the setup once it's up on the rack? I am not sure if I prefer to open to side or back and was thinking that might change from trip to trip.

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
My thoughts.. whatever they are worth?

Having been working to get my Technitop to mount on my Scrambler I'd like to repeat the above statement about the habitat. If you haven't bought your tent yet this is a great option. You get the tent without the weight and wind resistance (not to mention cost) of the rack. I'd have to think that by the time you buy the rack, the tent, and get it all put on then you wouldn't have long to make up the cost difference in lost MPGs.?.
I'm not even done with mine yet and I already can't wait to get back to the states so I can remove it all and mount the tent on my trailer.

Attachments

• IMG_0253.JPG
    IMG_0253.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0292.JPG
    IMG_0292.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

wagsww3

Explorer

Attachments

• SDC10215.JPG
    SDC10215.JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 149
  • SDC10217.JPG
    SDC10217.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 131
  • SDC10221.JPG
    SDC10221.JPG
    162.7 KB · Views: 138
  • SDC10213.JPG
    SDC10213.JPG
    141.7 KB · Views: 157

coastie kyle

Observer
Having been working to get my Technitop to mount on my Scrambler I'd like to repeat the above statement about the habitat. If you haven't bought your tent yet this is a great option. You get the tent without the weight and wind resistance (not to mention cost) of the rack. I'd have to think that by the time you buy the rack, the tent, and get it all put on then you wouldn't have long to make up the cost difference in lost MPGs.?.
I'm not even done with mine yet and I already can't wait to get back to the states so I can remove it all and mount the tent on my trailer.

I agree too. I have had my RTT on TWO different rack setups. First the MBRP, then the Gobi. I am now looking into picking up a M101 trailer to build as a platform for the tent. I want to be able to leave the tent mounted and all my gear loaded. I love the tent on the roof. Its like a treehouse for adults, plus most people have never seen something like that so your always the life of the party. But all the work it takes to mount and load, not worth it anymore. Ill be looking to get rid of the rack soon too I imagine.

Gobi:
2011-03-27_17-22-15_529.jpg

MBRP:
0807001449.jpg

For that kind of weight I'd do a rack. I drilled my top for thule rails but I'm only talking skis, a bike, etc. and not a tent. Have you seen the habitat? Best of both worlds.
http://www.adventuretrailers.com/jkhabitat.html

I am also in the market for a rack, I love the idea of the habitat but I cannot carry kayaks or paddle boards with it as the torsion bars are done specifically for the weight of the flip minus any accessories.

Akecj7

Observer
We had a Baja Rack and it was a piece of junk. After about two months trying to work with them finally got reimbursed for the rack but not for the damage to the Jeep. That being said we switched to the Front Runner 2.2m rack. I was not thrilled with drilling into the hard top bot now that it is done I haven't looked back. We have a Howling Moon 1.6m Star gazer RRT. The rack doesn't even flinch with our family of three in the tent. I am planning on adding the dual fuel can holder as well as the 10 gallon water tank. I have all the confidence in the world that that rack and hard top will hold up fine. I will try and find some pictures of the tent mounted and without if you'd like. Thanks again to Front Runner Outfitters and Adventure Trailers for all of the help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78