JK to receive new V6 in 2012 (at last)

haven

Expedition Leader
I was hoping that Jeep would upgrade the Wrangler to the new V6 as a running change during the 2011 model year. They still could introduce the new V6 next Spring and call it a 2012 model.

Here's a page that talks about Chrysler's plans for the V6, including a twin turbo 3.0L version that may be used by Maserati
http://www.allpar.com/mopar/phoenix-engines.html

TheMike

Adventurer
FYI guys.....with having just completed a 2011 5.7VVT transplant into an 11 JK, the firewall has already been modified from the factory from previous JK's to accept the new V6 heads. The new heads will have an overhead cam so a little more room is needed.

Fact, not fiction. :)

If you haven't seen in person the differenced with the 11+ JK versus the 07-10, you got to! Very nice in person. One thing I noticed at the last second (I did this conversion to a new JK with 96 miles total on her) was that the rear tailgate now has a "hold open" type of mechanical thing just like non JK's do on their doors. You know, open it half way and it stays, open it all the way and it stays (within reason on a slope).

Mike

outdoors

Observer
LOL, Wow, it's the 21st century my sold JK when the door opened allowed water from the rain to "presoak my seat it was so comforting. When they fix that problem as well, Then I'll be impressed. They certainly don't have to look far to find what they need to fix. Once a few annoying items are fixed then it should be fine.

alosix

Expedition Leader
LOL, Wow, it's the 21st century my sold JK when the door opened allowed water from the rain to "presoak my seat it was so comforting. When they fix that problem as well, Then I'll be impressed. They certainly don't have to look far to find what they need to fix. Once a few annoying items are fixed then it should be fine.

Dude, that's been part of Jeep charm since they first got tops. Why would you want to change that?

outdoors

Observer
Dude, that's been part of Jeep charm since they first got tops. Why would you want to change that?

lol, hear ya' there, seriously my 08' JK Unl had a faucet on compared to the LJ/TJ hard tops... it was that bad.
I would have been better off with a soft top for that reason, but I see people complain about those too.
Because of that reason though, and being a Jeep I'll get a soft top as my winter top for my next Jeep (JK) purchase.
Plus I can add weight on the vechile in other places, bumpers. tires, you know. :)

Last edited:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
The pentastar can make 305hp in factory form with 3.5L displacement. That isn't too bad at all. While I would love a diesel or a hemi, this might be a step in the right direction ( at least for the 2-door JK ).

I think more important than the motor upgrade...

What transmission are they going to stick behind it?

The 2011 Grand Cherokee got the W5A580 with this motor which is a nice little 5-speed auto. The Challenger also got the pentastar with a 5-speed, and it looks like the same ratios as the grand.

I wish that jeep would pull its head out of you know where and make the jeep brand great again...hemi, diesel, J8 program, and better option selection ( or de-selection! )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle