JKU and Fridge/Freezer

SES50

Observer
I have a 2014 JKU and am looking at getting a fridge/freezer unit. On most trips there will be 4 of us. 2 Adults and 2 kids. I know that it is pretty standard to put an ARB 50QT in the bed of the JKUs. I am a little concerned that the 50QT may be a little small for 3-4 people on a 4 day trip. My other vehicle is 2000 F350 with a rolling bed cover. The ARB 50QT will not fit under the rolling bed cover of the truck which is not a huge issue but if I am buying a unit that is around $1000 I would like it to fit in both vehicles. I know that the ARB 63QT will not fit into the JKU. I have looked at the Engel MT60-Combi and it looks like it will fit in both vehicles. I know based on the height that is will fit in the F350. Can anyone confirm if the MT60 will fit in the JKU with the 31.1" dimension going front to back. In the next couple weeks I will be installing a subwoofer delete kit which should help me set the fridge to the passenger side more and open up space for the cargo boxes.

Thanks for any help.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I use the ARB 50 with 4 people and no worries. Don't forget there is no ice to consume space. We load drinks as we go, and often have a bunch of non-fridge food in there just for space efficiency.

There are many threads in the camping equipment section debating fridge size. You could read for hours and still be at a solid "maybe"...

I have no advice for your truck situation. I've only used the fridge in the back seat of my F250.

theksmith

Explorer
i used to have an Edgestar 43QT, definately too small for my family of 3. we could only fit a few drinks in after the food for even a weekend trip - then we had to constantly swap in warm drinks every time we took one (which isn't good for current consumption of course).

i've just recently upgraded to the Dometic CFX-65DZUS, for more space and due to it's removable divider that lets you have it all one temp or have a colder "freezer" zone. i've only been on one trip with it so far and that was solo so i can't comment on how it will do with the family in terms of size, but i'm thinking it should be much better. it fits like a glove in the rear of my 2016 JKU, even an inch longer and it would have been a no-go (with the handles still on).

EDIT - according to the specs online, my Dometic is 26" long - so i really don't think 31.1" would work, even on the passenger side (you gain a couple inches on that side due to the tailgate shape) - unless that MT60 is much shorter than the Dometic?

Last edited:

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
I have my rear seats out now, but if I remember right, at 19" off the floor, from seat back to tailgate is just about 29" on the passenger side.

You could always mount the fridge in sideways. Without the subwoofer the rear is minimum 40" wide. Could always do a slide to get to things behind the fridge.

Or you could just strap the kids to the roof rack, and eliminate the rear seats. Much quieter inside the jeep that way too. :elkgrin:

I have the same fridge as theksmith (only mounted differently). It will feed a starving third world country for a month. Or two average teenagers for a day and a half. ;)

SES50

Observer
Or you could just strap the kids to the roof rack, and eliminate the rear seats. Much quieter inside the jeep that way too. :elkgrin:

Yeah, that has been discussed in the past on long trips anyway.

Thanks for the info guys. I will take a look at the Dometic. I measured better last night on the passenger side and the 31.1 at the height of the MT60 will not work. Any other fridge freezers other than the Arab and Engels that people are mounting in the JKUs?

slvyj

Observer
I have a 50qt ARMB and did a weeklong trip with four of us. I actually think the 50qt is too big but we drink our water at room temperature so that saves a lot of space.

tarditi

Explorer
x2 on the ARB50qt... My family of 4 uses it all the time. Just cool the items that need to be cool - no worries about "letting out the cold" like you do with an ice chest, as it will bring the temps back down quickly. We'll bring a couple cases of water bottles and drinks, etc. and just throw 2-3 drinks per person in there as we use them, the temperature-sensitive groceries for meals, etc. and still have plenty of room.

SES50

Observer
Fridge Freezer

All, Thanks for your responses. Today I purchased an ARB 50QT with remote monitoring and the tie down kit. Final bill was just under $850 with coupons. It will not fit in the bed of the truck with the rolling bed cover closed but I will have to deal with it. If we are using it on long trips most of the time the Autohome is on there anyway so that keeps it a little more secure. In the jeep it should work just fine with the removable lid.

Hey, if I love this as much as everyone says I will maybe I just order a 63QT for in the truck. Then I can close the bed cover.

Thanks again for the help.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
You might find yourself ordering another one. After a week of driving my jeep around town, my wife found the fridge to be so convenient that she is now thinking her car needs one... and Christmas is coming... Hint... Hint...

I can't figure out why she doesn't just want another Jeep?

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
All, Thanks for your responses. Today I purchased an ARB 50QT with remote monitoring and the tie down kit. Final bill was just under $850 with coupons. It will not fit in the bed of the truck with the rolling bed cover closed but I will have to deal with it. If we are using it on long trips most of the time the Autohome is on there anyway so that keeps it a little more secure. In the jeep it should work just fine with the removable lid.

Hey, if I love this as much as everyone says I will maybe I just order a 63QT for in the truck. Then I can close the bed cover.

Right on! Congrats, that is a great fridge! :beer:

Yuke

Adventurer
I

Where did you find that deal?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears