JKU FrontRunner Roof Rack

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
I have been back and forth on the AEV as to adding a roof rack or not. I waited for the AEV to release, and have been under-whelmed by the looks of it.
Today, I saw this video on Facebook. Wow! I think I may have to have one!
Thoughts?
D

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
That nice I too have been underwhelmed with AEV rack and am thinking of Gobi thought. Still that makes me think a lot about the Frontrunner!!!

X-plorenow

Adventurer
I have been back and forth on the AEV as to adding a roof rack or not. I waited for the AEV to release, and have been under-whelmed by the looks of it.
Today, I saw this video on Facebook. Wow! I think I may have to have one!
Thoughts?
D

I am also not a fan of the AEV rack. I love the look, quality, and functionality of the Gobi rack but am concerned about its weight and cost.

My leaning has been to the Frontrunner as well. I am about ready to buy one.

It is what is used on the Entdecker as well as many other true expedition vehicles. It is a top notch product and our go to JK rack moving forward.

jaxs1984

Adventurer
That's pretty impressive and from the looks of it it mounts to the fram and NOT the hard top like their old version. I would guess if it was mounted to the hard top , BAD things would of happened.

I've been doing my research for a roof rack for almost a year. I was waiting too for the AEV and was underwhelmed when it came out. They don't have a 2 DR version :( Plus the instructions seem very complicated. (just my opinion ) I was concerned about the Frontrunner because it is mounted to the roof top and in real world experience it would crack the top, etc.. The GOBI seems really nice and has wide support ,etc... and all the features that I would want. BUT, now seeing this ,it might be a game changer.

After Xmas, I'll probably get the GOBI or FrontRunner

jaxs1984

Adventurer
I believe that there is a support which ties into the rollbar through the roof.

http://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/secure/uploads/JK EXTREME_FULL_5DR_installation.pdf

I was trying to say that in the old version of FrontRunner it mounted to the hard top , but NOW the new version goes through the roll bar :) But, their is a 2-3 months lead time for the 2 door version .

After reading the install it seemed pretty easy compared to the AEV. In addition, the FrontRunner was rated at about to carry up to 300kg/660 lbs *
That is pretty impressive.

taz223

ExplorationOutfitters.com
We're right in the middle of installing one of these new kits on our shop JK, and I can say that from the very start the quality of this kit seems to be impressive. The entire rack itself (assembled) can be picked up and moved around by one person, and the shipping weight on the entire kit is around 110 pounds, so I'd say the rack system itself probably weighs right at 100 pounds. The powdercoat finish seems to be VERY sturdy, even with the few accidental scrapes across the shop floor. The most intimidating part of the install is drilling the holes in your top, but the brackets are pretty straight forward and it'd be hard to make a mistake. I'd say if you have help the install would take around 4-5 hours total for the whole setup, we ran into an issue with a bracket so we had to delay the install. As soon as we finish it up I will get some pics up.

One of the nicest things to me about this particular rack (or all of Front Runner's racks for that matter) is the availability of the mounting systems and solutions for them, really allowing you to have a modular system that can be customized to suit your individual needs at that particular time. Need to mount your roof top tent and camping gear for a trip? Bolt them on. Need to haul your kayaks/canoes next weekend? Bolt on the mounts and load 'em up. Of course most racks have the ability to suit multiple needs, but not all directly from one source.

Heres a link to more info about the rack:
http://www.explorationoutfitters.com/FROJKExtremeRoofRack.html

Vince1

Adventurer
So,how do you quickly remove the HT and go convertible with this thing again? Oh yeah, no can do. Another compromising product. Not even close to the Gobi.

bobDog

Expedition Leader
You can buy a Gobi for that and its way far superior. A Gobi is a much better rack by far......!

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger