JKU Rear 12v help planning

kentoe

Observer
Hey guys, so I'm thinking of pursuing adding a water pump in the rear cargo of my JKU. I would most likely tie this into the battery directly and have a switch in the rear so that I don't have to put the key in and get into the car to use the water from the bumper. This had me thinking though, I would need to run a cable directly to the battery and I would rather run a higher gauge wire one time than multiple wires, multiple times...

I didn't know if people have run a larger gauge wire to the rear to a fuse box, I just have no idea where I'd put it IMO (especially with a soft top). I'm also torn, because on the driver side I already ran a 10 gauge for my Dometic 35L fridge. I also was hoping to hook up my rear camera to ACC power rather than currently the reverse lights so I can access the camera whenever on the radio.

I just would rather do things right, for other unknowns, but would it be worth it to run such a large cable if I only ended up using it for the water pump alone? It would be nice to have more ACC powered options or BATT powered options like a USB plug for the rear but how often would I actually use it?

Sort of in a conundrum.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Replace your fridge wire with a larger wire and terminate it at a rear fuse block. You will find almost zero value in an ACC ON powered terminal in the rear. Anytime you are back there, the engine is usually off anyway.

I put my fuse panel just behind the rear seat on drivers side. Bent down a sheet of metal and made a tab that goes under the bolt securing the top.

Simple and easy. Get the blue sea box that has a cover and includes ground terminals and you have plenty of power.

kentoe

Observer
Hmm, maybe it would be best just to individually run that wire to the rear camera then. Since that would be most likely the thing that I'd want on ACC. Was just more-so thinking for anything else I could possibly want with ACC too.

As far as the blue sea box that you're using, do you have any pictures of your placement? Does it not interfere with folding the rear seats down? You're probably right about just re-doing the fridge wire, but I was hesitant to run cables from one side to the other if I decided to put the fuse box on the drivers side but need the cable to run to the passenger rear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior