JNelson4x4Taco(Tundra) Adventure Topper Build Thread

jnelson4x4taco

Adventurer
I originally posted this thread asking for some advice/opinions/comments on the idea, and after 750+ views and no responses I decided to just go for it. This project started as many of my projects do; a couple guys day dreaming about a cool idea, sooner or later we break out the graph paper and rulers and before you know it, you have pages upon pages of sketches, designs, notes, dimensions, etc. Before long my ideas and sketches turned into actual measurements and then into an invoice from a local metal supplier.

Heres the idea, build a popup camper that functions like a topper when down, but has the added functionality of an overhead bed, and room to stand when popped up. I didn't want to give up my ability to use my truck bed to move or haul things (like with a slide in camper) but I wanted more room than a topper could give me to sleep and hang out. This should appeal to the Flippac crowd as it has a very similar approach. There will be a lift system and about 30" of fabric that will give good standing room in the truck bed, and a decent amount of space in the cabover bed. My sewing skills are very limited, which is why I opted for the cabover popup, rather that a full flip over style. Didn't want to have to sew a big ole tent. Im lucky to have a very talented brother in law with a variety of nice metalworking tools who is willing to help me make this a reality. This concept is near and dear to him as well, and this will hopefully be the prototype for something he could produce in the future. Ill get to the pics, and then hopefully you all can help me with some questions along the way.
IMG_1317.jpgIMG_1327.jpgIMG_1319.jpgIMG_1324.jpgIMG_1323.jpg

As you can see, we've made pretty good progress in a few weeks time. I am a teacher and my brother is in law enforcement, so we are doing this on weekends and evenings, but I'm really happy with our progress. Now a few questions for the collective...

Fabric? Ive looked at Sunforger canvas, Sunbrella, plain duck canvas, synthetic ripstop types, and vinyl. Im leaning toward Sunbrella or Sunforger for its breathability and ability to stand up to UV, but am worried about its weatherproofness in the long run.

Lift system? Ive looked at the four wheel camper lift boards and obviously they work, I'm just worried about them working with the weight of my roof. I may have a tendency to overbuild things lol Im thinking of using a similar concept, built out of aluminum tubing, that would mount to the sides. Similar to what I think I've seen on phoenix popups.

Outer skin? I have aluminum skin for the exterior, and I'm curious what the recommendation is on the 3M VHB tape, rivets, combination of both?

Any input, advice, etc is welcome, ill try and keep posting throughout the process!

-Jeff

christianoffroad

Cheap Adventurer!
Very cool project you have there! As far as fabric, good old canvas is about as unbeatable as you can get in terms of durability and long term use. I have worked with Sunbrella, and it is nice, easy to work with, but not as heavy duty.

When it comes to bonding aluminum, after getting much advice on here, I started using 3m 5200 and rivets. Now that I have experience with it, I can say the rivets probably aren't necessary! While it does take forever to set up and cure, this stuff is incredible! Impossible to take apart once it cures, you will destroy the aluminum trying.

Keep up the good work, and keep posting pics!

Being you used tubing the only rivet that would work would be a pull type or pop rivet. They are not water proof so I wouldn't go that route. I'm thinking the tape would be the best way to go. You may want to consider a nonmetallic barrier between the skin and frame, aluminum skin to aluminum frame will conduct heat and cold. Maybe even fill the tubing with expandable foam? I's sure it would still conduct heat/cold though with out some sort of barrier. I do like the thought process of the build! Subscribed!

jnelson4x4taco

Adventurer
Any updates?
Its looking good and Id like to know how you decide to bond the skin to the frame.

Made some more progress, got the roof frame done, ill snap pics at some point. Still deciding on attaching frame to skin, I'm leaning towards some type of marine/construction adhesive, because it seems like thats a little more cost effective and I've read some good info from boatbuilders and such. 3M VHB tape would be great but is quite expensive for the amount id need so I'm looking strongly at the adhesive glues in caulking tubes. Im currently looking into 3M 5200 and the Lactate PL premium construction adhesive.

Should hopefully have the side window supports done soon, as well as the front and rear window frames as well. Ill update soon...

jnelson4x4taco

Adventurer
UPDATE:

Got most of the structural work done on the camper body, all that is left as far as welding goes is the roof, front and rear hatch and a few other small pieces. Today we got the side windows fully framed out, gussets for the cabover portion, and some other supports welded in. Last week we got the roof framed out and the cross members in. We are working on a rectangle of 3" .250 angle that will mount to the top of the roof and provide an overhang to cover where it seals. Hard to explain so ill try and get pics later.

Up next is framing out the rear window and front hatch up against the cab. The Tundra rear window slides down so we are going to make the camper window hinge so we could access it from the cab if we wanted. The entire rear portion will be a window so there will be a ton of visibility.

Im also getting to the point where I need to sort out what kind of adhesive I want to use to attach the .063 aluminum sides with. Any advice or experience please chime in, looking for product tips as well as anything you have learned from attaching aluminum skins to a project like this. I'll also be using aluminum angle on the edges so there will be a bit of added insurance with screws around the edges.

Thats all for now, would love any feedback or questions.

IMG_1433.jpg
IMG_1430.jpg
IMG_1431.jpg

jnelson4x4taco

Adventurer
Getting ready to finish the roof. Ill be using 3M 5200 fast cure adhesive to attach the aluminum roof skin the the aluminum roof frame, so any tips from those that have used it would be great.

Also, ive been looking at different designs of lifting mechanisms for the roof, and it seems like the FWC lift boards setup is the tried and true way to go. Id love to get any other ideas before I get too far into the design and build process. Ive thought of some different ideas but keep coming back to the FWC style lift boards, using 1/4" ply with a thin layer of fiberglass to seal it all up. Thoughts?

Anyone have links or info on how to sew in bug screens and zippered vinyl windows and covers? The sewing part is not my strong suit so I need to learn! I wish someone would sell the whole window with screens and vinyl, etc, so you could just cut a hole and stitch it in, wouldnt that be great! :)

Thanks all!

LuckyDan

Adventurer
As for the lift panels from scratch, I'd consider aluminum for the following:

I think you can get by with a narrower panel. I own an FWC Grandby, (Abet it an old one) and I get wear on the corners of the soft wall when folded. Part of that is due to the material rubbing/pinching on the panels.
The second is the panels get damp, especially the front one, from condensation. With either finished wood or aluminum you will be wiping the panel off periodically. The difference is worrying about the wood finish staying water proof.
There were couple of photos wandering around on the web of metal panel fab jobs. A Google search may turn them up. The best example I saw was from a CL add showing an FWC Hawk with panels on spring loaded piano hinges built out of, (I think) 303 Tread Brite.

Over at Wander the West was a recent thread on a rebuild where they did lift brackets built out of heavy wall conduit. It looked to have some promise.
Good luck with the rest of your build:)

GCecchetto

Adventurer
As for the lift panels from scratch, I'd consider aluminum for the following:

I think you can get by with a narrower panel. I own an FWC Grandby, (Abet it an old one) and I get wear on the corners of the soft wall when folded. Part of that is due to the material rubbing/pinching on the panels.
The second is the panels get damp, especially the front one, from condensation. With either finished wood or aluminum you will be wiping the panel off periodically. The difference is worrying about the wood finish staying water proof.
There were couple of photos wandering around on the web of metal panel fab jobs. A Google search may turn them up. The best example I saw was from a CL add showing an FWC Hawk with panels on spring loaded piano hinges built out of, (I think) 303 Tread Brite.

Over at Wander the West was a recent thread on a rebuild where they did lift brackets built out of heavy wall conduit. It looked to have some promise.
Good luck with the rest of your build:)

Having been through the lift panel issue on my personal build, I decided to use FWC's new composite panels. They were expensive, but I figured it was worth after I spent some time pricing all of the materials/fab costs to engineer and build something myself. If I had undertaken building my own, I was leaning towards aluminum or stainless tube. One downside to anything metal, and an upside to the FWC composite panels is condensation. Anything metal is going to condense more than wood or composites. I have not yet had condensation on my lift panels, just the ceiling around the perimeter and on the aluminum trim I used.

jnelson4x4taco

Adventurer
Thanks for the feedback everyone! We got the roof frame pretty much finished up last night, all thats left is to trim the aluminum skin and glue it down. Ill be using 3M 5200 for that, and probably a few screws for piece of mind. Then ill cut the foam and get some wiring set up for a fan and lights, before installing the interior ceiling liner, which will likely be some sort of 1/4 birch ply or something like that.

Trying to track down the spring loaded piano hinges online, anyone have a good source?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12