JNelson4x4Taco(Tundra) Adventure Topper Build Thread

jnelson4x4taco

Adventurer
Sweet build! I'd love to learn how to weld! Any idea what the approx weight will be?

Im hoping to be in the 500lb range. Im sure someone with more engineering knowledge could figure out how to trim some weight, but being an average joe, I went on the slightly overkill side to be safe. I already found areas that I could have shaved some pounds, but I was already so far along that I couldn't really make those changes, and just went on with it.

GCecchetto

Adventurer
Thanks for the feedback everyone! We got the roof frame pretty much finished up last night, all thats left is to trim the aluminum skin and glue it down. Ill be using 3M 5200 for that, and probably a few screws for piece of mind. Then ill cut the foam and get some wiring set up for a fan and lights, before installing the interior ceiling liner, which will likely be some sort of 1/4 birch ply or something like that.

Trying to track down the spring loaded piano hinges online, anyone have a good source?

I went through this on my build, just buy them from FWC. Their prices are good, and you aren't going to find a spring loaded piano hinge that will work otherwise. The springs on any hinge you'll be able to source will be waaaaaaay to soft. FWC has to build up their own hinges with ultra stiff springs. You'll understand once you have them in your hands and try to open them.

jnelson4x4taco

Adventurer
I went through this on my build, just buy them from FWC. Their prices are good, and you aren't going to find a spring loaded piano hinge that will work otherwise. The springs on any hinge you'll be able to source will be waaaaaaay to soft. FWC has to build up their own hinges with ultra stiff springs. You'll understand once you have them in your hands and try to open them.

Thanks so much for the feedback, I appreciate it!

jnelson4x4taco

Adventurer
Well, back to the drawing board on the lift system. I spoke with some really friendly and helpful guys at FWC and unfortunately the cost of their lift boards just wont fit in my budget. I really wanted to go with them, because they were so helpful and I know they make a good product, but in the end I just can justify the cost. One guy went out and measured each model to find the one that would fit my build and then called back with the info, great customer service and now I see why people rave about them.

Trying to think of some type of lever system similar to the FWC boards but made with aluminum square tube and aluminum channel that would sleeve it, similar to the Westfalia, I think. Still rolling that one around the ole noggin...

Chime in with any ideas or links to others styles that work well

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
What if you looked for an older used FWC and took parts from it? I've seen some cheap old ones for under 1k.

GCecchetto

Adventurer
Well, back to the drawing board on the lift system. I spoke with some really friendly and helpful guys at FWC and unfortunately the cost of their lift boards just wont fit in my budget. I really wanted to go with them, because they were so helpful and I know they make a good product, but in the end I just can justify the cost. One guy went out and measured each model to find the one that would fit my build and then called back with the info, great customer service and now I see why people rave about them.

Trying to think of some type of lever system similar to the FWC boards but made with aluminum square tube and aluminum channel that would sleeve it, similar to the Westfalia, I think. Still rolling that one around the ole noggin...

Chime in with any ideas or links to others styles that work well

My earlier comment about buying them from FWC was regarding the hinges. If you buy the hinges from FWC, cutting the two panels and assembling the panel won't be that big of a deal. The two challenges you'l face are the layout of the panels, and the damn hinges. FWC has a jig that holds the hinges open for them so they can install them on the panel, without that, it's a real *****. Just installing the panels is a ***** due to how stiff the hinges are. You can get a feel for that in my build thread.

If you know any folks with FWC's in your area, you could measure the panels to make yourself a template. I would think the most critical dimension to capture is the location of the center hinge, relative to the upper and lower panels, the location of that hinge and the overlap of the upper and lower panels is the key to the mechanics of the panels, and whether you actually build your lifts with panels, or a tube frame, these mechanics are basically the same.

GCecchetto

Adventurer
Buy the way, the guy to deal with at FWC is Terry. I'm guessing that's who you've been dealing with. He's a super nice guy and always goes out of his way to help people.

jnelson4x4taco

Adventurer
What if you looked for an older used FWC and took parts from it? I've seen some cheap old ones for under 1k.

Ive thought about that, unfortunately the lift boards are usually the first thing to be replaced in those older ones.

GCecchetto, Ill have to call back and ask about hinges, I wasnt sure if they would sell just the parts like that but its worth an ask, I guess I didnt realize their springs were so much stronger. Im still trying to wrap my head around the mechanics of it and figure out another way. Im thinking of the aluminum lift arms on the interior with gas struts attached, so they are out of the elements. Ive read through your thread and many others, about the challenges of installing the lift boards, which is what has prompted me to come up with another way if possible lol

GCecchetto

Adventurer
Ive thought about that, unfortunately the lift boards are usually the first thing to be replaced in those older ones.

GCecchetto, Ill have to call back and ask about hinges, I wasnt sure if they would sell just the parts like that but its worth an ask, I guess I didnt realize their springs were so much stronger. Im still trying to wrap my head around the mechanics of it and figure out another way. Im thinking of the aluminum lift arms on the interior with gas struts attached, so they are out of the elements. Ive read through your thread and many others, about the challenges of installing the lift boards, which is what has prompted me to come up with another way if possible lol

Terry will sell you the hinges. I was going to buy them, but ended up deciding to buy the whole panels once I started figuring out how much time and money I was going to sink into my own home brew lift mechanism, that may, or may not have worked correctly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12