JOBO photoGPS

smbisig

Adventurer
This could come in handy on long trips.

Jobo photoGPS

jobo_photo_gps.jpg

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
That is very cool! If you are moving around a lot, inputting location information is one of the most time consuming parts of post production because there is not real way to automate it since all pictures are different.

smbisig

Adventurer
bigreen505 said:
That is very cool! If you are moving around a lot, inputting location information is one of the most time consuming parts of post production because there is not real way to automate it since all pictures are different.

exactly.

pwc

Explorer
I've actually got a fairly simple system worked out. you jsut need a track log before you start a download of items. With Breezebrowsers Downloader Pro (http://www.breezesys.com/) you simply point it at a track log before you do the download and it will stamp them with the location.

That being said, the Jobo looks like a great solution as well. Having real close A(as close as GPS can be) location when the shutter is actually hit is dope.

How much? And does it have a compass to show direction of photograph?

smbisig

Adventurer
doesn't look like it gives you a facing direction, just the longitude and latitude coordinates.

Estimated street price is $149

pwc

Explorer
One other thing, these two statements don't seem to match up on Jobo's site. I know.....it's all marketing talk anyway. But it looks like a good system

"Unlike conventional systems that require a lengthy synchronization time, the photoGPS requires no waiting time at all. You get detailed tagging of time and geographic location instantly."

and then

"The photoGPS includes a PC and MAC compatible DVD that contains both the software and the database needed to post-process the information captured by the unit."

No waiting??? it still needs to tag the picture files later on the PC at home, just like most other systems. No waiting to take a location maybe, but what GPS system makes you wait to make a tracklog?

pwc

Explorer
in this case, the unit stores the GPS data in memory. then at home you point it to your pictures and it'll write the GPS info to EXIF at that time.

smbisig

Adventurer
"Unlike conventional systems that require a lengthy synchronization time, the photoGPS requires no waiting time at all. You get detailed tagging of time and geographic location instantly."

maybe what they mean is instead of tracking with a gps and then converting the track to a route (thats what i have to do with my unit) and then importing it to the computer, the photoGPS take a reading or wavepoint whenever the shutter is hit. I think the camera sends a signal via the hot-shoe and tells the photoGPS to make a wave-point. then you have to import the photos to your computer and the photoGPS matches the time and location information to the photos.

what i really need to do is save up for a Nikon D200 body that saves the gps coordinates automatically.:roost:

smbisig

Adventurer
DaveInDenver said:
Not to drift the thread, but Nikon offers the MC-35 GPS cable for the D200 & D2. I've also seen people hack their GPS to their D200. Not having either, can't say how it works, but this seems to be what you are trying to achieve with this, right? I assume that the GPS data is stored in the EXIF file itself?

http://www.core5.net/projects/d200GPS/index.html

I have the Nikon D80 which is an awesome camera, but unfortunately the Nikon D80 doesn't have these inputs.

pwc

Explorer
Steven. the process they mention is what I already do

1) have a track log running
2) hook GPS to computer (or actually the mini-SD card inside it)
3) download pictures, at which time, the coordinates are written to the EXIF based on the gpx tracklog

The Jobo seems the same
1) take Jobo and hook it to computer
2) download photos to folder
3) run Jobo software and point it to that folder and it'll tag them.

Same number of steps, just different order. and once again, the Jobo, if working as advertised, will mark when the picture is taken

Although, that confuses me. How can the GPS work that way? If the camera thinks a flash is up there and sends a fire signal, which is what the Jobo needs to mark a waypoint, then wouldn't the camera be meter a bit wrong? Do you always have to have the flash 'on' for it to work? otherwise, how does a flash or the jobo know when the shutter is tripped?

smbisig

Adventurer
pwc said:
Steven. the process they mention is what I already do

1) have a track log running
2) hook GPS to computer (or actually the mini-SD card inside it)
3) download pictures, at which time, the coordinates are written to the EXIF based on the gpx tracklog

The Jobo seems the same
1) take Jobo and hook it to computer
2) download photos to folder
3) run Jobo software and point it to that folder and it'll tag them.

Same number of steps, just different order. and once again, the Jobo, if working as advertised, will mark when the picture is taken

Although, that confuses me. How can the GPS work that way? If the camera thinks a flash is up there and sends a fire signal, which is what the Jobo needs to mark a waypoint, then wouldn't the camera be meter a bit wrong? Do you always have to have the flash 'on' for it to work? otherwise, how does a flash or the jobo know when the shutter is tripped?

agreed.

it probably just needs "a" signal from the cam via the hot shoe. i know with a lot of the high end flashes, the flash take a fire signal from the camera's hot-shoe, then fires the flash at the setting set in the flash unit itself. i think that the signal coming from the camera is just a trigger signal, then whatever component is on the hot-shoe does what its supposed to do. (examples: strobe triggers, remote camera triggers, PC cord adapter, and so on).

i dont know, maybe its because my GPS is a pain in the butt (sorry for the language) to communicate with my Apple G5 or Apple PB, that i am looking for and easier work flow that will work with my system.

I will probably pick one up sooner or later when they are available, i will let everyone know how it works.

Robthebrit

Explorer
The flash is more complex than that on modern cameras, having that on top will not fool the camera.

Basically one of the pins is a simple fire signal for old/none compatible flashes. The other pins are a digital bus and if the flash does not respond to the camera then the camera assumes there is nothing there. You could just as easily have a hot shoe extender connected with nothing on the other end.

Rob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior