Joining the expedition motorcycle set with an R1200GS

Robert B

Adventurer
I've been hanging around the full size truck thread for a while, but will now be spending some time here too. I just took delivery on a 2012 R1200GS Rallye. I was initially interested in a GS Adventure, but the seat height is just a tad too high. Then, I saw my local BMW Motorad dealer's new R1200GS Rallye demonstrator and it was love at first sight. So, I put a deposit on the next one in the que and it finally came in last Saturday. I included in the contract the GSA aluminum panniers and top case, GSA windscreen, GSA aluminum head protectors, crash bar, led auxillary lights, GPS, Akrapovic silencer and an aftermarket skid plate. When it's done, hopefully within a week, it will be a cross between a GS Adventure and a regular GS with the great looking Rallye paint job and red frame. I'll post pictures when it is ready.

The bike is lots fun to ride. It is very responsive and handles great for such a large and heavy bike, and it has huge amounts of torque. The brakes are a little touchy, but I will get used to them. The BMW turn signal switches will take some getting used to as well. Overall, I am very pleased and look forward to racking up the miles on it.

Robert B

Adventurer
Awesome! I cant wait to see pictures of it! Where are you going to first?

First, I'll break in the bike in and dust off the riding skills the mountains just east of San Diego. The local BMW club seems to be very active with two rides per weekend. Then, it will either be north up the Pacific Coast Highway or down south to the Guadalupe Valley.

zolo

Explorer
I was curious about the rally scheme and went by the BMW dealer yesterday to check it out.
Man that thing is cool. Should look the part with all the ADV set-up installed on it.

Sounds like a solid plan for the first few trips. That seems to be a life time bike. Good choice.

Robert B

Adventurer
I finally got the accessories installed on my bike last Friday and then took a quick ride up to Santa Barbara and back to San Diego. It was a great ride. The bike performed perfectly. The buffeting from the wind above 70 took some getting used to -- the bike easily ran up passed 100 without trying -- I think part of the issue was my helmet, an Arai XD4 with a peak. Here are some pictures.
_DSC3683.jpg
_DSC3671.jpg
_DSC3664.jpg
_DSC3694.jpg

jpachard

Adventurer
Nice Bike:

I have the same one! Properly mudded up after some New England single track!
IMG_0820-L.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears