Juddrussell's 94 single cab

juddrussell

Observer
Thanks guys! Im stoked to get out and use it!
Dwill817 i know what you mean! single cab has been great 95 percent of the time, it just gets really frustrating that other 5%. I am excited about the tube doors but really would like to install an a/c system in this thing. anything would be better than nothing, and the tube doors dont let me leave anything in the pickup.
Austo- thanks! Yea im just a couple hours south of KC in pittsburg, its nice to be located centrally because we are close to alot but we would like to live in arkansas/colorado in the future.

Hanks94

Just found your thread, great looking truck! I would definitely suggest switching to some bucket seats. I just found some SR5 bucket seats on CL and installed them this weekend, they make a HUGE difference and will make long trips much more comfortable.

Crenshaw

Adventurer
Cool truck! I have it's brother:

DSC_0070_zps71d7c02a.jpg

The 3vze has such a bad rap, but have faith. If you can live with the lack of power it can be just as reliable as any other Toyota engine. I sold my last 4runner with over 260k on it and it was still running like a champ. I see it driving around town still. Just make sure you adjust the valves fairly regularly.

juddrussell

Observer
Hanks94 thanks! I search pretty often but trucks getting parted out is kinda rare here.. I'm still searching! Did you do anything for a center console?
CRENSHAW! I love your truck!!! Do you have a build? Or more pictures? The nest I got is definitely rough but I can't wait to use it! I love your rack!! Have you done anything to your bed for camping trips? I thought about building it out similar to some of the flippac builds on here..
I got the kitchen organizer and everuthing with mine I would just like to modify as I go.
Good to know on the 3.0, I just hate not having A/C. I've searched for trucks in local yards but they are slim. I found an aftermarket system for 800 but I can't justify spending that for some comfort.. Especially when people say the 3.4 swap can be done for double that..

Crenshaw

Adventurer
I'll start a build thread one of these days. It's your standard toyota truck: BJ spacers, couple extra leaves in back, 33s, 4.88s. I have carpet down in the bed and a very simple platform/table in one corner that's handy for cooking or playing cards or whatever when the weather is crappy. My 3.0 just developed a nice rod knock a couple weeks ago so it's getting a 3.4. As much as I am sick of the lack of power, I really was content to just drive the thing for a million more miles, it's only got 190k on it right now. My last one went for a lot longer.

I happen to be parting out a 94 4runner right now that has a complete non-leaking a/c system if you want it. I'll make you a hell of a deal. Shipping might suck.

Typical white trash setup:
NCM_0221_zpsrsebu1ws.jpg

Hanks94

I haven't done anything for the center console yet. I would like to check out some of the local junk yards and find a stock replacement but I'm also considering a lockable console to keep things in when I'm out camping or hunting.
I also gotta say I haven't had any bad luck with my 3.0, bought it with 130k on it a few years back, nearing 200k now and I'm still cruising comfortably at 70-75 unloaded. It does get a bit sluggish on hills but the 5 speed helps with that. So unless something start's to go wrong with it I'm not considering a swap yet.

juddrussell

Observer
Crenshaw I love your setup! Your nest is definitely in better shape but ill get there!
I definitely would be interested in the AC system! Can you PM me about it? I'd like to look into what it would cost with shipping.
If shipping is outrageous, I will be in SW colorado for spring break and I may make the drive to meet you if it worked out!
Congrats on the 3.4 swap' that is exciting!!!

Hanks94 I really like tuffy consoles or homemade consoles of that sort! Good to know about your 3.0 as well! It was definitely lacking power in the mountain passes in December but does pretty well any other time. Are you on stock exhaust?

4runnerteq

Explorer
Man, that is a sweet truck. We have a 93 and 92 regular cab 4wds both automatic with 22re, got them for both kids when they started driving. One of them is 23 now and been driving it since he was 16. You just cant tear em up.

94toy22re

Observer
Have you ever checked out car-part.com, just search for parts you need (like a a/c system) and will show the nearest junk yards that have what your looking for. i found a a/c unit for 3.0 for $70 at a junkyard in Tulsa for a buddy last year!

juddrussell

Observer
Sorry its been awhile since I posted an update!
I finally got my rocksliders welded up and painted! I like the way they came out, but now I really wanna figure out what I wanna do for my rear bumper situation.
IMG_2480.JPG

image2.jpg

image3.jpg

image1.jpg

IMG_2539.jpg

The wildernest is ready to be used! We are finally getting pretty good weather and the wife and I are trying to find those weekends we can just getaway in it. Still need to replace the rear window struts and driver side window but it'll camp just fine for now! Thanks guys!

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
The single Cab Toyota trucks are way under rated. I love mine and fell in love with the trucks after staring at the old trucks of yesteryear while I was growing up. It is just the wife and I like you so most of the time the reg cab is perfect for us. I just think they are cool. And they are so damn small they fit anywhere. Not to mention my two cents is that a regular cab is what a truck is meant to look like. vs an suv with a 5 foot bed.

I also have a 95 runner that developed a HG leak at 185 k miles last fall. She is old and tired and needs a lot of love. It was hard to sink 2 grand into a 20 year old truck that was also going to need a windshield, PS pump U joints and a CV shaft. so it got a 15 dollar bottle of stop leak and a new batt. Still have it for nasty winter days when the wife does not want to drive the little carolla. Just wont seem to die all the way and I keep telling my self one of these days I will just fix it my self.......

Sweet truck man, that thing will run for another hundred k. Its gonna cost you a HG somewhere but that is still cheaper then a down payment and a monthly payment

juddrussell

Observer
Hey Crenshaw I think I saw on here that Stoffregen Motorsports on here has been making decals. He made some based of the 87 runner style that he made in a digital camo and they looked killer! Hey your buddys maroon truck in salida (the twin of desktoglory's), is that a 3.0 with AC? I was gonna see if he had pictures of the line routing. Trying to find a weekend I can tear into that project!

I enjoy the simplicity of the single cab i just would love to have that extra spae to throw our luggage/computers and what not so we dont have to keep all that stuff in the bed of the truck, which is pretty unsecure with the wildernest. If i can find them I will swap to buckets and install a tuffy console for locking capabilities.
I know what you mean about the cost to fix every stinkin thing they need when they get tired! Its hard to justify, I love how crenshaw always just talks about the dirt baggin aspect of it and enjoying them for what they are! The Old's cool thread he came up with is the best ive read through in a while.

Thanks again! I plan to do timing belt this summer and just use the crap out of it! I dont plan on buying a new truck anytime! If i can get the AC installed into this pickup I will be set!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger