July 4th Bishop/Bridgeport/Bodie CA

murphy744

Adventurer
Figured I'd post a little trip report from our 4th of July Bishop/Bridgeport/Bodie CA adventure.

DAY 1
My wife and and I loaded the truck up Thursday night for a leisurely 8am start Friday morning. We headed to Bishop and made a stop at Schat's for a couple of sandwiches. After lunch we headed up to Four Jeffery Campground; just below South Lake. We spent the day napping and fishing Bishop Creek. After snagging our limit, it was time for cocktails and Brauts on the grill (trout was saved for Sunday). Our friend Jim and his girlfriend showed up later that evening for more cocktails and fire pit.

DAY 2
The next morning, we loaded up the truck and were off to Bridgeport for the 4th of July celebration that the town puts on every year. We made a side trip over to Mono Lake for some pictures along the way. We found I nice secluded camp spot for future trips. After that, we arrived in Bridgeport, and found the town bustling with a rodeo, local vendors and games for the kids in front of the court house. We had planned to camp near Buckeye hot springs, but found that place packed. So, we decided to head back into town and check out the festivities. We cruised around town for a couple of hours, then decided we better find a spot for the night. I spoke with the local Forest Service office, and they suggested going out Aurora Canyon Rd., just north of town, as it has plenty places to camp. We soon found ourselves about 4 miles out of town, in a nice little secluded spot with great views of the town. As we were about to set up, a thunder storm rolled though forcing us into the truck with a bottle of wine to wait it out. After the storm passed, we set up camp, and put some steaks on the grill. At around 10pm, the fireworks show began, and we were able to lay inside the camper and watch the show.

DAY 3
Another leisurely morning started with Bloody Mary's and a hot shower, before taking Aurora Canyon road toward Bodie. We took our time, stopping for pictures and beer, finally descending from the crest into Bodie. We spent a couple of hours wondering around (would love to hit it again and spend more time). The only draw back, is its very touristy....tons of people everywhere:( After Bodie, we decided to head south toward Lee Vining and south back to Bishop. We took a back road that dumped us out just north of Mono Lake/Lee Vining. Once back on 395, we cruised through the June Lake Loop from the north, took the Rock Creek road down to the valley floor, then cut across to HWY 168 and back to Four Jeffery Campground. We spent the rest of the afternoon/evening exploring and finally settled in with some trout caught on DAY 1 and more cocktails.

DAY 4
We slept in again......got up that morning and headed off the mountain toward home. We stopped off in Lone Pine to visit with my aunt and uncle, then made our way back to Menifee. We pulled into the driveway at 4pm; ending an epic, relaxing 4th of July.

Attachments

• DSC_1197.jpg
    DSC_1197.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC_1201.jpg
    DSC_1201.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC_1236.jpg
    DSC_1236.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC_1304.jpg
    DSC_1304.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC_1321.jpg
    DSC_1321.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC_1338.jpg
    DSC_1338.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC_1377.jpg
    DSC_1377.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC_1368.jpg
    DSC_1368.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC_1365.jpg
    DSC_1365.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 14

murphy744

Adventurer
A couple More

Here are a couple more shots of Mono Lake CA and cocktail hour outside Bridgeport CA.

Attachments

• DSC_1235.jpg
    DSC_1235.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC_1252.jpg
    DSC_1252.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC_1269.jpg
    DSC_1269.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 14

calicamper

Expedition Leader
We were up there June 27th - July 2nd bailed on the 2nd due to the Thursday weather forecast. We stayed at Trumbull Lake up the Virgina Lakes RD. Weather was great but deteriorating by Thursday afternoon. We hit Bodie, Hiked to Cooney lake, Drove the June Lake loop had dinner in Mammoth and also caught a kids theater show in Yosemite Valley during our stay. But wow the weather sure went bad just in the last few days up that way. Glad we had the weather we had vs the weather they've had in the past few days.

Agreed on the touristy thing at Bodie. The local Ranger tipped us off the day before she said get there right at opening and we'll miss the tourist drama for the most part. She was right. We were a little late but not too bad, but we did get to see the Tourist drama as we were leaving they were arriving like an invasion as we were packing up and rolling out of town. Go EARLY and Bodie is great - arrive by noon and your going to experience the full tourist wonder as if it were Yosemite Falls.

Last edited:

peneumbra

Explorer
You can't go wrong spending the 4th of July (or anytime in the summer) in the Eastern Sierra. I'm from Bishop, and even as a kid I realized what a terrific area it is. Here's hoping you have many more adventures in the old neighborhood...

murphy744

Adventurer
You can't go wrong spending the 4th of July (or anytime in the summer) in the Eastern Sierra. I'm from Bishop, and even as a kid I realized what a terrific area it is. Here's hoping you have many more adventures in the old neighborhood...

Hey, penumbra, I grew up in Bishop too, lived there from 1965-1981. Great little town!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears