July 4th Scouting trip to Bohemia Mountain

I didn't mean scouting as in Boy Scouts... sorry if you thought differently.

Jenn and I had a busy July 4th weekend since it was a holiday and her birthday. Between two trips to the coast, one trip to Bohemia Mountain, Birthday dinner and July 4th picnics we were out and about all weekend.

For the past few months we have been trying get to Bohemia Mountain. We had about 5 hours in the morning of the 4th to do something so we decided to check the mountain out to see if it was worth spending more time there. Bohemia Mountain is part of the Cascades and is located about 18 miles southeast of Cottage Grove, Oregon.

The trip turned out to be much more interesting then we had originally thought so we are planning to spend the entire day there next weekend.
There are plenty of primitive campsites right along the beautiful row river at the base of the mountain.
IMG_8029-1.jpg

A lot of the area can be seen by car, but to see the really interesting areas it's recommended, but not required to have 4wd or at least AWD. If not a high clearance vehicle should suffice.

We only had a short time so most of the trip was just to see where things were. We only took a few pics.

There is a lot to see such as old mines, mines still in use, interesting rock formations, some foundations, and great views.
IMG_8036-2.jpg

IMG_8040-1.jpg

IMG_8025-1.jpg

IMG_8041-1.jpg

The trip topped off at 5,000 feet and the clouds started to roll in around the time we started to head back down. We encountered a decent amount of snow cover for the area this time of year and the melting snow caused some slippery spots as we headed up.

We shall head back next weekend an REALLY explore the area and take a lot more photographs.

I highly suggest this area for a nice weekend get-a-way.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12