Jumper start packs

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I wouldn't call it a 'must have', but they do come in handy every now and then.

I wouldn't put much faith in the air compressor - it's gonna be slow.

Treenail

Adventurer
Be sure that you can recharge the battery using the cigarette lighter outlet while you drive. If not...you could drain the battery and not be able to recharge without being tied to shore power.

I'm thinking about getting one to power lights, computer, etc. in my camper before I get the full-on dual battery system built.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I carry a battery that is about the size for a lawn tractor. It's not convienent for powering gadgets but they are cheap, have better capacity and I can use it as a battery in a pinch to replace a shorted vehicle battery. It's also nice because I'll have an extra battery that could be used for welding with the batterys. Not saying it's better but it's there if I need it.

XJCamper

SE Expedition Society
Always a great investment. We carry one on almost all of our camping trips. Two important things. As someone else posted: make sure you can charge it while moving down the road. Either through the usb port or through the cig lighter. Also, Get a decent solar power trickle charger to keep it charged while away from a power source. They can also be used as a source of heat on really cold trips. Buy yourself a electric blanket and hook it in to the Jumpbox and keep warm in the tent all night. Great for use to power the Cell phone or GPS unit also. Get one with the usb port. For emergency purposes only ..... Of course.

I have a Craftsman model. It also has a small compressor, air pump for a mattress, light, USB ports, and a small inverter. I use it all the time. The compressor (with gauge) works great for motorcycle tires. I carry it with me on all trips. :sombrero:

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
A couple we met have a pretty good use for one with an outlet. They plug their electric blanket into it at night and just recharge it on the trail the next day. It runs out of juice more than halfway through the night but he said it was well enough to get you to sleep and it beat a cold setup.

That's either one heck of a heated blanket, a not so great battery pack, or their alternator might need replacing ie more power. If it can't run a blanket but for a few hours what good would it really do as a jumper?

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
The blanket is the only reason they really carry it. You would really have to meet them. They are quite a unique (but awesome) couple!

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
I don't know about it being a 'must have', but they can be convenient.

Be sure and check for reviews before buying, as some are better than others.

My dad has a Black & Decker model, and we use it quite a bit. The compressor will inflate a truck tire, but it's not fast. It's great for the quad runners and lawnmower at the cabin (much faster than firing up the generator, and dragging out the 110V compressor)

I had one from Sam's Club, and the jump part was OK, but the compressor stunk. And mine would not hold a charge very long. Even sitting for 3 days (no use during that time) and it wouldn't jump start the riding mower.

The Craftsman model from Sears works well as far as the jump pack (used my nephews a few times) but I never tried the compressor on it.

Hags Overlanding

Trying to be good at this
I carry one most everywhere I go, saved my trip more than once before the dual battery set up. I usually end up using it on other peoples rigs, it is sometimes just plain easier than maneuvering another rig (besides having to, on a trip, disconnect the trailer from my truck) to a position where a jump is possible.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
We had a costco one for about 5 years that we got as a gift. We literally used it hundreds of times in that time span. It just recently crapped out, and we're looking for a replacement. I'll probably go with the biggest black and decker version that I can afford.

Like others have said, for those who don't want to spend the $ for a 2nd battery kit, or who have multiple vehicles to use it on, it's very versatile. Also, I agree about the trailer comment. If you're assisting someone's stranded vehicle, it's very easy to simply pull the pack off it's charging outlet, and carry it over to that vehicle.

I also really like the idea of using it an emergency to power a small appliance or device.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179