JUMPING IN HEAD FIRST

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
We were just talking about our Expedition Portal KLR project bike and why we like it. To be clear, it does nothing exceptionally well. It has average power, average ergos, so-so suspension, modest highway chops, adequate off-road performance, and the whole thing has all the glitz and glam of an old shoe.

However, you can't help come back from a KLR ride and feel like you had a good time. We distilled it to this: You ride a KLR and appreciate the enjoyment of riding a motorcycle, if not that particular motorcycle. It's not like getting on some rare exotic that focuses your attention on the bike itself. The KLR just delivers a great motorcycle experience even if the bike itself is no hum dinger.

That said, I can flog a KLR on the twisty tarmac and have a ball doing it. I can't figure it out, but that thing does incredibly well on the curves for a dual sport with a 21" front wheel and riding posture that's as aggressive as sitting on a bar stool.

Gallowbraid

Where's that road go?
We were just talking about our Expedition Portal KLR project bike and why we like it. To be clear, it does nothing exceptionally well. It has average power, average ergos, so-so suspension, modest highway chops, adequate off-road performance, and the whole thing has all the glitz and glam of an old shoe.

However, you can't help come back from a KLR ride and feel like you had a good time. We distilled it to this: You ride a KLR and appreciate the enjoyment of riding a motorcycle, if not that particular motorcycle. It's not like getting on some rare exotic that focuses your attention on the bike itself. The KLR just delivers a great motorcycle experience even if the bike itself is no hum dinger.

That said, I can flog a KLR on the twisty tarmac and have a ball doing it. I can't figure it out, but that thing does incredibly well on the curves for a dual sport with a 21" front wheel and riding posture that's as aggressive as sitting on a bar stool.

I'm going to vote for a KLR as well. I started on a KLR 250 and within 12 months had the skills and confidence to go to a 650. I bought the 250 for $1500, put 20,000 miles on it and then sold it for $1500. I bought the KLR 650 for $1500 as well (just wait for a craigslist deal) and owned it for 3 years. I put over 60,000 miles on that bike before I sold it a few weeks ago...for $1350. I too commuted 126 miles and day and did so on the KLR 650 every day of the year unless there was ice on the road. Change the front sprocket out to one that's 1 tooth larger than stock and you'll be able to cruise on the highway at 70 - 75 mph with no problem and still have all the torque you need to play off road. Parts are dirt cheap and working on them is simple. If you do decide to pick up a KLR the only thing I would advise is to do some research on the KLR doohickey (yes that's a real thing although not Kawasaki's name for the part) and get familiar with Eagle Mike and his parts. Also, don't buy a 2008 unless the owner can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt it doesn't burn oil. Then again I'm partial to the 07's and before.

96Delica

Adventurer
If you're really learning but don't want to be on something too small, I would suggest to buy a used vstrom650 as a first bike. I've got an SV650, same motor. It's powerful enough that it will keep you entertained, but not enough to be too intimidating. I love the SV, v-twin, super nimble and a blast in the twisties. You can pick up used Vstroms for a pretty decent price, that way, WHEN you drop it, it won't be hard to pick up by yourself or expensive to fix. My 2c.

Oh, I don't know if it's been said yet but, TAKE A COURSE!

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
The beauty of the KLR is that it is pretty close to adventure-ready right out of the box. No need to add a bigger tank or different seat. I think the KLR is the right bike for many, many people.

That said, especially being a shorter rider (5'8"), I wouldn't buy a KLR unless you thought you were going beyond fire trails (but not too much more difficult). It is a big, heavy bike for a thumper. My feeling is that if I was going to get a bike that size, I would just get a V-Strom 650. Much like the KLR, they are stone reliable and very affordable. But it is a much better bike for the vast majority of riding that most people do. However, if you think you might be doing some tougher trails, the advantage goes to the KLR. But the tougher the trail gets, there starts to be much better tools for that job.

For the riding the OP listed, especially the commute, I think the V-Strom is the better option. But a KLR would work well too and have a cheaper acquisition cost. If you buy smart, you could sell either after a season for little or no loss. And after a year you will have a much better idea of what your ideal bike is.

jungblud

Observer
Gallowbraid has it right. Starting out with something other than a 1200cc 500lb 140hp bike is a very very good idea for both financial and health reasons.

Small bikes allow you to make mistakes that you can recover from with less severe consequences.

They are also a hoot to ride. Some of the most fun I've had in my 43 years of riding is on bikes that were 250cc or less.

abruzzi

Adventurer
Keep in mind that on street bike, people tend to start small, then wish they bought a bigger bike. With adventure bike people tend to start big (1200 GS, etc) and later wish they had gone smaller. For many, the 690 enduro is an upgrade from the 1200GS. Of course if you spend 95% of your time on the street, and the last 5% on well graded forest service roads, the the bigger bike is fine. If you're dreaming of riding Moab, or some Colorado passes, a lighter bike (DR650, KTM690, TE630, XR650) is a much better bike. The KLR isn't a bad bike but it seems to be in the same weight range as the smaller twins, or at least is a bit heavier than the other singles.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I'll just lob this out there, because I think this might be a bike worth putting in the mix: http://expeditionportal.com/expedition-portals-long-term-project-2014-suzuki-vstrom-1000/

I've spent the last many months on the newest, and greatly updated, VStrom 1000. The more I ride it, the more I like it. The previous gen VStrom 1000 did nothing for me, but this new bike is actually great. Right off the bat, I would not recommend it for much beyond the typical gravel road, but it will chew up those miles with no problem at all. It's easy to ride, does very well on the tarmac, and in my opinion is a good value for a big bike, that doesn't really feel all that big. It would make those commuting miles a breeze.

I liken it to a Jeep Grand Cherokee. It'll go off-road, but you better be aware of its inherent shortcomings. On road - awesome.

http://expeditionportal.com/vstrom-1000-modifications-and-mid-term-review/

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
I started on a 50cc scooter.....then a 110 Honda......then a Honda XL185s......then a 250......then a BMW 650 after trying a DR and KLR. The 50cc scoot was fast enough for grocery runs and even commuting to work....and was still fast enough to kill someone my age (28) on a scoot right in front of me when a car pulled out in front of them on a residential side street (25mph).

Honestly the 185/250 and even 110 were plenty around town but even better in the dirt. Seriously they were a blast. I found my BMW 650 to be perfectly sufficient and comfortable at any legal speed and ok in the dirt. The only reason to go bigger in my opinion is you are extremely experienced and/or hauling tons of crap for a very long journey.

I wouldn't recommend a big bike to start for a few reasons.

-First it's completely unnecessary. You can buy a 250, ride it several thousand miles and turn a profit when you sell it. A 250 will be a much more capable bike than you are a rider for a long time. I made money on every bike I bought/sold after riding them a significant amount.
-Second 250s are a blast, easy to work on, cheap to repair, easy to move around when off the bike, and you will always have room for one in the garage even with a larger bike.
-Third is safety. You don't want the speed/power/braking of a larger bike to start. Take the time to learn the mechanics, the dangers, etc at lower speeds where the 250's nimbleness shine. Don't plan on going right into long distance commuting at interstate speeds. It's a great way to end up with permanent injury or dead. This is a new skill, take the time to learn it and develop it. It's a blast but it's also a risky endeavor, it's not just you on the road.

Only go as fast as you are willing to crash. Get on a bicycle and get going 10mph and crash, it doesn't feel good. I low sided on my bicycle last year when going maybe 8mph in parking lot (hit a wet oil patch) and woosh instant down. Ripped my jeans and left bruises for a week on my shoulder. You are dealing with forces far beyond what the human body is meant to handle on a motorcycle. Respect that fact.

Last edited:

MR. ED

Observer
I decided to stick with my roots. I got a Krampus. I'll wait to get into a motorbike, maybe in a few years I can afford my dream. Thanks for all the great advice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12