Just another Gen 3 Monty

Monstero

Adventurer
I have been a lurker here for a while and post once in a while and I have never really done a build thread so I guess its about time. I will list mods and pics and go from there. A lot of you already know my Monty from other boards and I have posted a couple times.
Its a 2003 Mitsu Montero XLS. I got it in 2004 and its been getting mods since then. Overall has been a great and pretty indestructable vehicle for me.

Mods:
OME HD 2" springs front and rear
Skid plates front to rear
34" LTB Tires"
Custom winch mount
Rear bumper
Sliders
Gauge pod inside with Engine oil temp & Pressure and Trans Temp
Laptop Mount
Welded Rear/Aussie Locker front
Cobra CB

Here are a few pics from my last trip where I broke my front axle shaft and had to limp out in 2wd. I will update as things get done and add pics as I can.

DSC08186.jpg

DSC08191.jpg

DSC08192.jpg

DSC08194.jpg

DSC08195.jpg

datrupr

Expedition Leader
About time you posted your truck up here. Again, your Monty is also part inspiration for my build, and when my wallet recovers from this most recent stage of the build up, I'll be contacting you for one of your rear bumpers. Keep the pics coming.

Monstero

Adventurer
Thanks aaron.

Heres a pic I dug up from 06. This was before Herculiner, Sliders, cut front bumper and new metal rear bumper. I am diggin tryin to find a stock pick but that was so long ago it seems.

BaysMountain009.jpg

Monstero

Adventurer
Some snow wheeling on a local trail....got deeper as we got higher in elevation. We eventually had to turn around and back track the way out cause the Xj I was with broke an axle and couldnt climb anymore.

Bumpus008.jpg

Bumpus010.jpg

More snow pics when I went home to Saskatchewan, Canada for christmas in 07. Ohh how I miss the snow. We just dont get snow in Tennessee like we used to growing up in Canada.:(

Christmaspics006.jpg

Christmaspics109.jpg

Monstero

Adventurer
And a few more of when I did the Herculiner to the bottom of it.

DSCF0121.jpg

DSCF0123.jpg

Some pictures of the Gauge pod I put in. I like knowing what the tranny temp and oil temp are. They are much better than the stocker idiot gauges that are in there. Cause when crawling for a while on a trail you can see if tranny is getting hot.

DSCN0465.jpg

And then here it is as it sits now on the 34s

GEDC0031.jpg

GEDC0032.jpg

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
!!!!!!!!!!!!!HOLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THat is AWESOME!!!!!, I Love it on those 34" LTB's, I've never seen a Gen3 built like that and crawling... Such a neat truck, keep it up mate.

Cheers

Dave

Edit: I LOVE the Rhino Lining too, I've been thinking about doing that to my 4Runner and this makes me really want to pull the trigger. Nicely done. Does it make the truck any quieter???

Monstero

Adventurer
I LOVE the Rhino Lining too, I've been thinking about doing that to my 4Runner and this makes me really want to pull the trigger. Nicely done. Does it make the truck any quieter???

The word quiet really doesnt apply with the M/Ts on there.... but in response to your question I didnt notice any difference in sound just in durability. Thats the main reason I did it. I was getting scratches all in that area and now that stops it. Plus I like the look.

And ya...I dont really do any expo traveling around here cause there isnt as much like out west. I run a bunch of local trails and creeks and end up crawlin rocks/logs most times.

Thanks for the compliments
Phil

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Phil, I really likethe look of the Hurculiner. I saw yours and decided I was going to do the same with mine. Great pics. Thanks for sharing.

Monstero

Adventurer
Its relatively easy to do...just make sure the prep work is done good if you are going to do it yourself. I bought the kit from Wally world and a Texture Spray gun from Harbor Freight and did it myself. The WHOLE vehicle needs to be covered. I made the mistake of masking off the majority and left the areas where I thought it didnt have a chance in getting. Well little flecks made it and i had to razor blade them off.

Also if using Herculiner make sure to get the UV top coat that they sell or it will turn dull gray and not stay shiny black. Doing it myself I did it for right around 120 bucks or so 2 yrs ago. And I KNOW that it would have at least been double that or triple if I had paid someone to do it.

Phil

Monstero

Adventurer
Since my front factory skid plate was bashed up pretty bad I figured it was time to do something about it. I spent a while fighting to get the holes lined up on the old one and enough is enough.

So I came up with this. Now I just have to figure out with what size openings to put in the front with the plasma for air flow through to the oil coolers so it isnt totally closed off. Anyways here are some pics of it.

GEDC0076.jpg

GEDC0077.jpg

GEDC0079.jpg

eleblanc

Adventurer
awsome truck, too bad ARB doesn't do a rear locker for the montero.

I'm about to sell mine, i've been having electrical issue with it for the last 3 years and nobody even the dealer have been able to solve it...

Monstero

Adventurer
ARB does make a rear for it. They were just released in Auz and will be here in a little while I would think. Sad to hear that you are getting rid of yours....but I have to wonder if I would have lasted 3 years with my hate for the electrical Gremlins.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Some snow wheeling on a local trail....got deeper as we got higher in elevation. We eventually had to turn around and back track the way out cause the Xj I was with broke an axle and couldnt climb anymore.

Bumpus008.jpg

Bumpus010.jpg

More snow pics when I went home to Saskatchewan, Canada for christmas in 07. Ohh how I miss the snow. We just dont get snow in Tennessee like we used to growing up in Canada.:(

Christmaspics006.jpg

Christmaspics109.jpg

what axle was that xj running in the rear? just wondering. great build...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior