Just another Jeep

Somecallmetimm

Adventurer
Challenges with the XJ... Got the rear main seal done, and it's still half a hover jeep. Need to reinstall the original axle because the new axle is damaged. I'll be pulling the goodies out of it and beefing up the original.

Heading out tomorrow for 5 days in the wilds of Nebraska in the TJ. Leaving the trailer behind and "roughing" it. Packing has been interesting and challenging. Pix to come.

Have a wonderful Independence Day weekend!

Somecallmetimm

Adventurer
Trip report..

So the XJ is still half a hover jeep, schedules, work and all the boring parts of life seem to be getting in the way of wrapping it up. Regardless… After the nightmare of a spring my awesome supportive wife got tired of me whining about no camping and she kicked me out over the long weekend.

Start planning… I was called to Nebraska, where my recently passed Dad and I had spent a large amount of time together, and to visit some old familiar (and new) places. A plan was set and put into motion. I figured an adventure this size should be shared with others, so an invitation was sent out to other members of the Christian Off-Road Association, and Galen answered the call.

Our original plan to meet up by Wilson Lake then head north in the morning was foiled by some massive storms that ran through the area. So rather than trying to set up a tent in 70mph gusts, we decided to leave early the next day and stick to quicker roads to get to our first night stop. For the most part the trip between home and the Nebraska National Forest was uneventful. So much of the region is still so green from the generous rain we’ve been receiving this spring. The Smokey Hills area was breathtaking!

We made a brief stop in the eclectic town of Lucas Kansas, it seems the place has been over run by very artistic people. In addition to the “Garden of Eden” sculptures there are many displays of folk art. It’s very much worth the trek out of the way to visit this amazing little town.

Lucas Ks. by Tim, on Flickr

As we approached Nebraska the skies started to look angry more toward the north. A quick glance at the maps confirmed that it was only a matter of time before we started dealing with the rain. Oddly enough the cloud cover began right at the Kansas/Nebraska border. Just as soon as we crossed that line, things got dark, the humidity shot up and there was a mist hanging in the air. Other than a brief spitting of rain the big scary looking clouds had no bite. They were interesting to look at, that’s about it.

IMG_9848 by Tim, on Flickr

Glad for the lack of exciting rain, we continued on. Stopping briefly in Merna, where I lived with Dad in the parsonage of the Methodist Church, way back in the late 80’s. While the colors are much brighter now, a flood of memories of that year came back. The town was gathering for their Independence Day celebration while we took a brief tour of the neighborhoods and checked out the school where I spent my junior year.

Merna, Ne. by Tim, on Flickr

Having reminisced enough we started back on the road. Just north of Anselmo we jumped off the beaten trail and onto some sandy back roads. Very quickly the road condition became rough enough to require 4x4. We bounced back and forth along in the ruts of a rarely used road cutting through some amazingly gorgeous ancient sand hills. Deeper into the hills we traversed until we reached a decision point. Fence across the road and the complete fade of the tracks beyond. Whenever I plan routes, I dig into where the actual right of way, vs where the road leads. Every one of the back roads mapping programs available today will lead you astray and into private property. I do research to avoid being the headline about the dude who drove his jeep into a lake following Google’s direction… So there’s the road disappearing in front of us, and yet Nebraska DOT says it’s there. But in the back country there’s what the state says and what the rancher says. I’d rather not tick off the rancher. So we backtracked a bit to an intersection and continued on northward.

IMG_9870 by Tim, on Flickr

Last edited:

Somecallmetimm

Adventurer
The alternate route spit us back out on the highway and it was a straight shot to the Nebraska National Forest. The only national forest where all the trees were planted. 222 square miles of man made forest. It was staggering to comprehend that every mature tree that existed in this area was once planted by a person. The time it took to establish this beautiful, serene area must have been enormous. How much more devastating were the fires from last year, when you consider the efforts that have gone into this amazing place. A quick tour of the park took us up into the back maintenance roads where the hand of man in planting was evident by the straight rows of trees. Most of which were burned badly. The undergrowth was thriving and there is hope for an eventual recovery from the fires which took 4000 acres in May and October of 2022. Our tour of the park brought us out of the burned section and into some gorgeous meadows with wildflowers and healthy tall pines. But the beauty seemed to fade just as soon as Galen reported on his radio that his jeep died and wouldn’t restart.

Nebraska National Forest by Tim, on Flickr

Galen has not had the greatest luck with jeeps over the last year. He lost his last jeep to a delivery truck that was stopped on a highway on his way to the Rendezvous in the Ozarks last fall. His replacement jeep blew the engine, and the replacement engine lost compression. The day before we left, he picked up the ’97 ZJ from the shop with a freshly installed remanufactured engine.

So here we were, surrounded by natural beauty, and I’m in shock that Galen hasn’t started throwing things. He didn’t. Instead, we started going through the possibilities and determining our next step. No cell signal dictated that we get back to “civilization”. Forward or back was clear after a little bit of exploring because the trek back was just about 150 yards to the maintenance road, forward would have been miles through some rough sandy tracks. We got his jeep turned around and began the 9 mile drag back to the main entrance of the park.

With connections to the world reestablished we got in touch with some experts and determined that the engine computer was fried. Most likely caused by a short of some type. We eventually discovered the rear O2 sensor wiring had been pulled out of the sensor and the stripped wires had shorted the system out. A couple more phone calls determined there were no parts in the region to attempt repairs, so arrangements were made for a friend to gather spare parts, a truck and a trailer to come to the rescue. And in the meantime we set up camp at one of the ugliest camp spots ever. But then it was chosen for it’s ease of access, not it’s view.

Thankfully the night was uneventful, as was the following day which was spent discussing anything from childhood to jeep repairs, even religion and politics were entertained. It was a quiet and beautiful day to wait. In the afternoon when our rescuer arrived, she brought with her a little bit of disappointment, as the spare computer did not bring life back to the damaged jeep. Fortunately Galen’s foresight to the worst case scenario provided a trailer upon which we loaded the ZJ.

Crossing Nebraska by Tim, on Flickr

We said our goodbyes and headed in separate directions. Galen to the south and me to the west where adventure awaits.

Timing always seems to be a factor in travel. My initial plan was to be arriving at the Pawnee National Grassland in Colorado by this time. In essence the whole trip was a day and a half behind “schedule”.

I probably should have lead with this… this is my first real multi-day, planned out “overlanding” trip. To date most of my trips have been weekend camping trips with a destination and a lot of sitting around. This trip was planned out by day, destinations, gas stops, etc. It was a learning experience for me that there must be some flexibility in everything. The unforeseen events of severe weather and a dead jeep threw (seemingly) everything off. I was able to take it all in stride knowing that life throws monkey wrenches when they’re least expected.

I adjusted my plan and headed west through some gorgeous areas of rolling dunes covered in lush green prairie grass. Once again the clouds built up in my path, this time they unleashed a downpour that slowed my progress considerably. The storm was brief and intense, with clear sunny skies on the other side.

When I arrived at Alliance, I got a room and enjoyed an evening of air conditioning and a hot shower.

After a mental reset it was time back on the road and to do a little bit of touristy stuff. While Stonehenge is a bit far to drive, Car Henge was right up the road. So I headed there and enjoyed the eclectic arrangement of vehicles. Just up the road from Car Henge is a small town called Hemingford. Stephen King fans would recognize the name from his book The Stand. Being driven by humor, I went 40 miles out of the way to see if Mother Abagail was there. She wasn’t home. (you can laugh now… )

Carhenge by Tim, on Flickr

Hemminford by Tim, on Flickr

Somecallmetimm

Adventurer
Back on the road I headed to Chimney Rock and Scott’s Bluff then on to my planned camp for the night. Pawnee National Grassland. Being that it was the day before Independence Day, I expected there to be folks camping. What I didn’t expect was for the place to be mostly full, and one of the only places open had a woman’s head in the fire ring. While it was only a mannequin head, it was creepy enough to motivate me to move on. I continued on south and east until I found cell signal once again, and assessed my situation. It was early enough and close enough to make it into Kansas before dark. So off I went, back to the “most boring state ever”. (more on that later). The back roads route was through some very wide open spaces, beautiful sprawling ranch land where America gets their hamburgers.

Chimney Rock
Chimney Rock by Tim, on Flickr

Scotts Bluff
Scotts Bluff by Tim, on Flickr

Pawnee National Grassland
Pawnee National Grassland, Colorado by Tim, on Flickr

About an hour before sunset I found the park where I was going didn’t allow camping, but the park next to it appeared to. And after asking “two crazy women” (their words, not mine) about tent camping I confirmed that this was the right place. The park was very quiet and mostly empty, very well maintained and right on a lake (read lots of bugs). I settled in for a relaxing evening and a good meal and pondered the trip.

Soldier Memorial Park, Kansas by Tim, on Flickr

What a trip it was… just 4 short days, and seemingly nothing went according to plan. Losing my companion, timing being tossed around because of weather and broken jeeps, it was a bit to take in for my first “overlanding” trip. Which brought me to why… why take these trips. This particular one was more a trip for reflection on the man who taught me that God’s glory is shining through every tree, brook, hill and mountain we see. That nature is worth preserving and enjoying for every generation. And to be close to nature is equivalent to being close to God.

That’s even more applicable when you’re talking about the boring parts of the world. I’ve spent the last couple years seeking out the beautiful parts of Kansas. There are loads of them and most aren’t that hard to find if you get off the beaten path. If you live life bypassing the boring parts (as suggested by someone on a popular overlanding page on FB) you will miss out on a lot.

Final thoughts… then I’ll shut up…

The XJ is way more comfortable on long trips than the TJ is.
I don’t like tent camping as much as the RTT. Next time the trailer is coming with me regardless of what I’m driving.
Don’t just visit places that are popular destinations, you’ll miss a lot.
There is beauty, wonder, humor and amazing things all around us. Don’t be so focused on the destination to miss out on things that will blow your mind.

“The journey is the destination.”

The rest of the pictures

zgfiredude

A quality journey none-the-less I'd say.....it's overcoming the hurdles that makes it memorable! Hope for the best with Galen's rig, that sucks. Nice write up, too!

Somecallmetimm

Adventurer
Thank you!
I don't know how many times Galen said "It's all part of the adventure." Not sure if he was trying to convince himself or me. But he was right on.

Somecallmetimm

Adventurer
Still here... The XJ is no longer hovering, and improvements are still happening. The front axle has been replaced, as has the transfer case. This week I'll be moving toward the back to replace the rear axle with an 8.25 with locker, and do a ZJ tank swap. Going from 20 to 25 gallons. Not huge difference, but enough to stretch out range a bit.

86scotty

Cynic
We went through some of this same area on our recent late summer trip. Chimney Rock is a cool spot, as is Fort Laramie. We got off i-80 at Ogallala and meandered up 26 to Casper before turning north. Getting off the interstate in the northern plains is a very, very good idea and a refreshing experience.

Somecallmetimm

Adventurer
When you're stuck at work and would rather be exploring the remote places in the world...

20230911_123923 by Tim, on Flickr

Just happened to be picked at the cover photo for the FB group Budget Overland. Sad thing, this little green hotwheel rolls better than the XJ right now. Sigh.
The ZJ gas tank has been installed, and the Cherokee is back to being a partial Hover Jeep with the rear axle removed. Still have the springs to swap out, then it's all about putting things back together.

20230910_155828 by Tim, on Flickr

Somecallmetimm

Adventurer
Quietly while no one was looking, I finally got this pig done. Or so I thought. Sadly Karen got involved and expressed "officially" that it was time for me to wrap up my project. Regardless. It's back in action only long enough to discover bad bearings in the transfer case. I just happened across a slip yoke eliminator kit, new in box for super cheap, picked up a rebuild kit and rebuilt the original that I pulled previously (which had recently become a tripping hazard on my garage floor). The hope was that the refreshed and repurposed case would be eager to move back to it's former home and push on for another 200,000 miles. Unfortunately the oil pump sent with the kit was bad. So the rebuilt t-case sits waiting for a replacement, and the XJ continues to sit, which will fuel Karen's ire. At least it looks functional from the casual observer. Once the bugs are worked out, I'll be hankering for some time away... Time to start planning.

In the meantime... have a wonderful Autumn!

Back in action!!! by Tim, on Flickr

Somecallmetimm

Adventurer
New doesn't always mean perfect. The transfer case is finally rebuilt and swapped into the XJ!

The flaw in the oil pump that caused such a headache.

Such a little thing to cause so many problems by Tim, on Flickr

There were very obvious scratches on the pump gear where it was contacting the housing.
Regardless... it's in, now to deal with the next issue... still trying to figure out what it is. Something with the axles. Starting to see the problem with used parts. Sigh.

This must be that "Jeep thing" that no one understands. We put all this work into something that's breaking down and working poorly and yet we love every minute of it. I admit, sometimes I don't understand it either.

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
New doesn't always mean perfect. The transfer case is finally rebuilt and swapped into the XJ!

The flaw in the oil pump that caused such a headache.

Such a little thing to cause so many problems by Tim, on Flickr

There were very obvious scratches on the pump gear where it was contacting the housing.
Regardless... it's in, now to deal with the next issue... still trying to figure out what it is. Something with the axles. Starting to see the problem with used parts. Sigh.

This must be that "Jeep thing" that no one understands. We put all this work into something that's breaking down and working poorly and yet we love every minute of it. I admit, sometimes I don't understand it either.
And when you get tired of it and move on to the other Jeep (addicts seem to have several) it gets mothballed in the barn until you're tired of the other one or feeling nostalgic!

Somecallmetimm

Adventurer
I must be an addict. When the XJ is up and running 100%, the TJ will start getting attention.

"Hi, I'm Tim, and I'm addicted to Jeeps."

Last edited:

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
I must be an addict. When the XJ is up and running 100%, the TJ will start getting attention.

"Hi, I'm Tim, and I'm addicted to Jeeps."
My brother has an xj and a TJ too, which is currently on jack stands in front of my barn. I have two JKU's and a CJ7. I definitely get it! Some day maybe I'll win the lottery and then all my Jeeps can run at the same time!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior