Just another trailer build

jwtrapper

Observer
100_2864.jpg

100_2866.jpg

100_2881.jpg

I didn't get any pictures of the build with the camera I will have to see what I have on my phone and post them up also.

Everything is 16 gauge, frame is 2x3, bed is framed out in 1.25 squared tubing. With the tent on it, it weighs 780lbs. Not too bad, we just got back from a little over a week adventure out in Utah and Arizona. Slept in the tent everynight but one. It pulls just fine at 75 down the hwy and over the trail. I need to add some shocks because it does bounce a bit.

jwtrapper

Observer
Any input on what a fair price would be for a trailer like this? I'm thinking about selling it and building another one.

CJ7 Maniac

Ok first off great trailer! Second what did you use for the third pivot point on the hitch, besides the two bushing points? I have been trying to figure that part out on my hitch for a while!

I have two pieces of Dom welded together with the bushings in. I have tried a few different ways for that third pivot point, just nothing that really floats my boat! Yours looks like a great design!

jwtrapper

Observer
Thanks for the kind words.

My third pivot is a 1" bolt through a piece of 1.5" dom w/.25" wall, so its 1" id. Then a nut is welded onto the other end of the bolt. Then this assembly goes into a piece of 2" square tubing with 2 plug welds on each side and welded in the front. Then all ground down to look pretty. It works great. I had to grind down the nut to get it to turn inside the 2" square tubing. It should last for years.

CJ7 Maniac

Thanks for the kind words.

My third pivot is a 1" bolt through a piece of 1.5" dom w/.25" wall, so its 1" id. Then a nut is welded onto the other end of the bolt. Then this assembly goes into a piece of 2" square tubing with 2 plug welds on each side and welded in the front. Then all ground down to look pretty. It works great. I had to grind down the nut to get it to turn inside the 2" square tubing. It should last for years.

Ok, so thats pretty much what I have right now. I was just worried about it wearing a groove or something into it and then getting into a tight position on a trail and snapping it off. Maybe I am just over thinking it! I was trying to figure out a way to get a brass bushing in there but I will go with that for now. Now all I have to do is build the trailer for the hitch to attach to.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
that is a great final weight....

I know a guy who built one using a pinion bearing and customized a pinion to be his trailer hitch/pivot point. It works great.

I was thinking it would be a lot cheaper to build one than buy an Adventure Trailer or similar. Those things get real expensive fast! Plus building your own you can build it to suit your needs.

Did you just use a straight trailer axle on this?

great job....looks tops.

jwtrapper

Observer
Yes its a straight axle with a spring over. 3500lb spindles, 2" square tubing setup on in jig to weld them in perfect. It is 60" wheel mount surface to wms. I did it this way to match the width on my XJ.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman