Just bought a 99 Montero...and it's all your fault

Pilsung

A month ago I was shopping for a 2nd gen Subaru Outback. Then I stumbled on the Mitsubishi forum here, and now I'm the owner of a 99 Montero. Thanks!

The truck has a little over 200k miles, and I got it for a little less than $2000. It spent half it's life in California before going to Kentucky. Clean history, very good interior and exterior, solid transmission, but lots of maintenance left undone. It has the winter package, and therefore the locker. I wouldn't have known to look for the switch and orange sticker without your posts. Based on the forum's collective advice to others in similar situations as well as the shop's inspection, the following will be done right away: timing belt, water pump, serpentine belts, radiator hoses, plugs and wires, valve gaskets, rotors and pads, shocks, and complete fluids/servicing, tires. Other than removing the running boards and going +1 on tires (to 31x10.5 or 265/75s), I plan to leave it stock for a while. I love reading about the mods, but want to give it some time so I don't end up a regular poster on the 'Mods I Wish I Hadn't Done' thread.

I'll drive it to Tucson in late spring and will put it to use hauling the young'uns and the dog around the southern AZ desert.

Thanks for all the excellent info here.

image.jpg

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
Cool! Welcome! I've always been in love with the "wide arch" model (Gen 2.5).

So "UK" is, erm, "upper Kentucky?" :sombrero:

Pilsung

United Kingdom. Moving back to the US in early summer. Managed the purchase long-distance with help of long-suffering parents.

Evo666

Observer
I would replace all gaskets on the head including valve seals. These fail often causing oil leaks.

Sent from my Samsung Note II on Tapatalk

Pilsung

I was working off the assumption that 265/70 is stock. How about a thread of pics with sequentially larger tires so we could compare?
Thanks for the good words.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
I think it depends on the model and most get 31's after those old tires wear out because even by 90's standards smaller than 31's look goofy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior