Just Bought My First Toyota: A 2008 Tacoma Access Cab

upndown

Adventurer
Did you ever finish the Gem Top? Been keeping my eyes open for one. Just something for secure storage and to haul my kayak.
Loving the truck BTW!

Jeff H

Adventurer
Did you ever finish the Gem Top? Been keeping my eyes open for one. Just something for secure storage and to haul my kayak.
Loving the truck BTW!

Thanks for the compliment! I haven't had much time to work on the Gem Top lately. Between getting engaged and job applications its been hectic! Hopefully I'll get it repainted here soon and get the interior carpeted.

Last edited:

upndown

Adventurer
Funny how life some how always gets in the way. Good luck on your job search and upcoming Nuptuals! Keep us posted, always looking for ideas.

Jeff H

Adventurer
Well its been a while since I've updated my thread. Life has gotten busy with everything going on and I was considering selling the truck. But have decided I shouldn't get rid of a reliable vehicle just to have a paid off ride! So the build continues, albeit slowly. Since we can no longer edit older posts the first post won't be updated.

A few updates on the truck:

- I sold the Gem Top. I liked the functionality of it but I felt it took away from the look I wanted for the truck. I'm going to source a fiberglass cap eventually.
- My 5 month-old rear Bilstein 5125s blew seals so I'll be replacing them with some brand-new OME's I found on Craigslist.. I'd love the matching Icons but don't have the coin right now. Weddings are expensive!
- I was able to get my other leaf spring replaced under the recall. So now I have two proper matching springs. I just need to diamond cut the ends of the donor springs and paint them and they will be ready for install along with the All-Pro Flip Kit.

Jeff H

Adventurer
A little while back we decided it was time to actually get out and explore some. With winter finally slowing down it was a good chance to get outdoors and enjoy the sunshine. So we headed to Oil Creek State Park near Titusville, PA which is just a short drive from Erie. I had never been there before so I was excited to get out and explore!

We drove around some and were also able to get out, hike, and check out some of the waterfalls and remnants of the oil industry.

Overall it was a blast and was the start of the 2016 adventures!

Jeff H

Adventurer
I had to do a little maintenance on the truck. I was losing oil pretty quickly and found that the valve cover seal was leaking into the plug wells. I was able to replace the valve cover gaskets and buttoned her up.

While it was apart

I can tell you its a lot of fun working in the engine bay with the bumper installed. :violent-smiley-031:

I also picked up a used DUAL XPS150 GPS Receiver to use with my iPhone 6S since my Nexus 7 took a dive into some water. I'll be using it with GAIA GPS and Topo Maps.

We are planning to stop at Cooks Forest this Sunday so it'll be a good chance to try it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12