Just Changed Spark Plugs, Now I'm Getting Sulphur Smell???

Pampas86

Just changed the spark plugs in the Wifey's '08 4Runner (V6). I've taken it out twice down the road and had it up close to 60MPH and everything seems fine, accelerates fine, etc., but there is a sulphuric smell (rotten egg) and it seems to be coming from the tailpipe. You can't smell it in the cabin with the air/heater blowing. I wouldn't say it is an extremely heavy smell, but you can certainly smell it when walking behind the truck.

Bought spark plugs from Toyota Dealer. Normal change, used a little dielectric grease in the coil tube and a it-seize on the plug threads. Other than that, had to unplug air filter box and maybee two or three hoses on the driver side, but all are back as they were.

Any ideas? The old spark plug tips have some white residue on them. Don't know if that would pertain or not.

diggerline59

Enginerd
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but what I've seen on the 4runner forums is the sulfur smell is due to the design of their emissions system in that generation. It was changed to be more effective at screening certain particles out of the exhaust, but had the side effect of being less effective at pulling sulfur out of it. I have the same sulfur smell, mostly during hard acceleration, or with the back window down. From my research since I've noticed it with my 4runner, is that it isn't anything to be worried about mechanically.

Pampas86

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but what I've seen on the 4runner forums is the sulfur smell is due to the design of their emissions system in that generation. It was changed to be more effective at screening certain particles out of the exhaust, but had the side effect of being less effective at pulling sulfur out of it. I have the same sulfur smell, mostly during hard acceleration, or with the back window down. From my research since I've noticed it with my 4runner, is that it isn't anything to be worried about mechanically.

Thanks for the input Digger. I wonder though why the smell has never been there before? We got the truck about a year ago with 40k miles on it and I've never smelled that in the 20k we've put on it.

FJR Colorado

Explorer
Usually a sulfur smell is due to fuel getting to the catalytic converter. This can happen in the winter with a very cold cat when you first get going.

Doubtful that changing plugs had any impact but strange things do happen with computer driven engines...

I would get it checked out by a Toy tech that you trust.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78