just did a week of cold weather camping

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
I've been thinking about the same thing for January. I've camped in 20 degrees before and been alright but that was with the Jeep and a lot of gear. Me and a friend are plannin on hiking/camping a portion of the AT after we graduate paramedic in December. Any suggestions for hiking in those temps?

Best tips I can give are to use a bivy bag and dress in layers

Bivy bags are good, but be careful to keep your breathing ventilated. You are in no danger of suffocation, but the moisture in your breath can penetrate and render useless much of the insulating properties of your sleeping bag. You will be warm at first, but will eventually wake up very cold and miserable.

Dress is layers. Do not sweat. It can kill you.

Be sure to eat a good meal before bed. If you don't, you will probably wake up cold in the middle of the night.

EDIT: If there is any extra space in your sleeping bag, fill it up with clothes, as long as they are dry. Making your body heat that extra space can mean the difference between comfort and discomfort.

0 F isn't even that cold as long as you are preprared.. couple of quick tips to help you out at night
1. don't go to bed cold.. do jumping jacks pushups ect to get warm before getting in your bag
2. don't wear the same clothes you wore during the day to bed especially socks.. no matter how dry you think they are they still have moisture in them that will cause you to get cold
3. a nalgine bottle full of boiling water in your bag with you can give some extra comfort for sure
4. if you get cold in the night do some crunches, leg lifts, flex your butt muscles until you are warm.. this will warm you up at night faster than almost anything else (other than a partner in the bag with you hint hint)
5. knit cap and close the heat baffle around your neck and chest if you bag has one.. otherwise a shirt can be improvised to stop heat from coming out as you move around
... plus what others have added.

Thanks for the tips folks. I will be heading out with my buddy Greg......so no doubling up in the sleeping bag.

Greg might want to be warm to but as I say to each their own :) Good luck with your cold weather trip.. I am heading out for the night tomorrow into new snow and 18F temps so it will be nice and comfy :)

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
My sister was doing a wilderness class once where the teacher made them sleep out on the the ice in just their sleeping bags. To show them the value of shelter. She ended up with pneumonia.

jh504

Explorer
Greg might want to be warm to but as I say to each their own :) Good luck with your cold weather trip.. I am heading out for the night tomorrow into new snow and 18F temps so it will be nice and comfy :)

He will just have to stay cold:D

Let us know how it goes.

maximumrob

Adventurer
Well just got back from a week out in the field for work.

Am I the only one that noticed Mr. Frumpy didn't tell us what he does for a living? Other than missing my wife and chitlin's (and that COLD weather), camping for a job sounds okay in my book!

frumpy

Explorer
In the military, so not exactly fun camping all the time. I was running a command post for an exercise that week. It was a pretty good go though, hot meals for breakfast and dinner and working out of a heated lsvw. 6 hours on 6 off though.

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
I'm going to be doing approx one month of winter camping for my forestry buisness. I am extremely happy with the three major things I bought this year. A RTT, and ARB fridge, and a PETT. I wish I had these things years ago. I am very satified with my RTT's ability to stay warm (ish), and it it much more stable in winds than I would have ever thought. I love being able to "make a bed" in the RTT using sheets, blankets, ect.

w squared

Observer
In the military, so not exactly fun camping all the time. I was running a command post for an exercise that week. It was a pretty good go though, hot meals for breakfast and dinner and working out of a heated lsvw. 6 hours on 6 off though.

I was about to guess that, given that you live in Oromocto. I have some fond (and not-so-fond) memories of CFB Gagetown.

The CF has learned a thing or two about operating in the winter - they've got good kit. Some of it is heavy and very low-tech...but it does work.

I've been quite comfortable using nothing more than issued kit and eating hard rats (ration packs) at -35. That said, there were times when things got a little wet that a heated LSVW would have been a BIG luxury.

frumpy

Explorer
LSVW was definatly nice. Had too much stuff going on it in though so we were only in there for our shifts. Only bad thing is it couldn't keep a charge at all so the engine was running 24/7 and after a week the fumes start to get to you a bit.

He will just have to stay cold:D

Let us know how it goes.

Well it got colder than planned.. we headed out of town during a snowstorm and it was 0F during the night and at 7:45 at night we had -17 with windchill. I was warm and toasty all night.. actually I woke up at one point and had to quickly get out of the thermals I was wearing as I was sweating like a madman and that is just not a good thing in winter camping.. link to my blogpost now :) http://scottsadventuresandworld.blogspot.com/2009/11/harker-canyon-winter-camping.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12