Just starting

Enrbee

Hi Everyone, my name is Neil and I have recently bought a 1991 FG434 Canter, ex Innamincka tour bus. It's a bit old in the teeth with over 400K on the clock but had a new engine and gearbox fitted about 100k ago so I am told.

I am in Awe of some of the conversions I have seen on here! Afraid mine won't be as fancy as most - just so long as it keeps us mobile with a very basic degree of comfort.

It's off at the mechanics getting some roadworthy stuff done at the moment, can't wait to get stuck into the conversion.

So far it has had the bus seats removed and a bed fitted across the back and that's about it. Oh it has singles on the rear - I think the tyres say they are 19.5 inch, which seems very large to me compared to what I have read of others on here.

Intending to head off in it full time about December this year and I'm working full time till then so I don't think I'll be building a new camper back for it - just fitting out the bus that is there.

I was wondering if anyone knows where I might pick up a winch compatible bullbar for her - it needs to cater for the tilt cab. Would these things be off the shelf or would I need to get one made up? I am in Geelong so hoping for something in Victoria (Aus).

I also would love to get a new door or two to save me having to patch up the old ones but it seems that 2nd hand spares for these old trucks, so rather than specifying a 1991 model, does anyone know what years the cabin shape changed? i.e. could I use doors from a 1990 model, or a 1992 model for example?

Thanks in anticipation.

Cheers,
Neil

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hi Neil, Welcome to the forum.

Fuso Geelong sell alloy winch bullbars and centre towpin bullbars. Ask for Mark , Service and Parts manager.

I'm not real up on anything prior to the 637 models but I would think the early doors were all the same in the years you mentioned. They dont change cabs and panels too often.

Regards John.

Last edited:

alan

Explorer
Hi Everyone, my name is Neil and I have recently bought a 1991 FG434 Canter, ex Innamincka tour bus. It's a bit old in the teeth with over 400K on the clock but had a new engine and gearbox fitted about 100k ago so I am told.

I am in Awe of some of the conversions I have seen on here! Afraid mine won't be as fancy as most - just so long as it keeps us mobile with a very basic degree of comfort.

It's off at the mechanics getting some roadworthy stuff done at the moment, can't wait to get stuck into the conversion.

So far it has had the bus seats removed and a bed fitted across the back and that's about it. Oh it has singles on the rear - I think the tyres say they are 19.5 inch, which seems very large to me compared to what I have read of others on here.

Intending to head off in it full time about December this year and I'm working full time till then so I don't think I'll be building a new camper back for it - just fitting out the bus that is there.

I was wondering if anyone knows where I might pick up a winch compatible bullbar for her - it needs to cater for the tilt cab. Would these things be off the shelf or would I need to get one made up? I am in Geelong so hoping for something in Victoria (Aus).

I also would love to get a new door or two to save me having to patch up the old ones but it seems that 2nd hand spares for these old trucks, so rather than specifying a 1991 model, does anyone know what years the cabin shape changed? i.e. could I use doors from a 1990 model, or a 1992 model for example?

Thanks in anticipation.

Cheers,
Neil
Hi Neil welcome aboard!! your canter is the same age as mine, this model started in 86 -95 i am slowly searching the world for suppliers of canter spare parts, i hope to start a spare parts business just for canters very soon, i have access to doors, panels, engine parts, rubbers, etc etc, write out a list and i can give you a quote if you like.
Alan

Enrbee

Wow Alan, that sounds fantastic! I am definitely in the market for a complete driver's door assembly in good condition if you can come up with it. I have new hinges so don't need them.

There are some cosmetic bits as well, plastic trim I think, but I'll have to wait till she comes back from the mechanic to work out what they are.

Someone (was it you?) said in one discussion that the 4x4 and non 4x4 cabs are not the same. Do you know if they use the same doors?

She has the 4.2 engine fitted, and I would be interested in a turbo for that (if they made one), but first I need to work out if it would fit, and whether an aftermarket one would be better.

But, where are you located?

Cheers,
Neil

Last edited:

alan

Explorer
Wow Alan, that sounds fantastic! I am definitely in the market for a complete driver's door assembly in good condition if you can come up with it. I have new hinges so don't need them.

There are some cosmetic bits as well, plastic trim I think, but I'll have to wait till she comes back from the mechanic to work out what they are.

Someone (was it you?) said in one discussion that the 4x4 and non 4x4 cabs are not the same. Do you know if they use the same doors?

She has the 4.2 engine fitted, and I would be interested in a turbo for that (if they made one), but first I need to work out if it would fit, and whether an aftermarket one would be better.

But, where are you located?

Cheers,
Neil
Hi Neil, I was referring to new parts only, door skins or complete door shells are available from overseas.
The doors are all the same from 86 -95 it's only the floor that is a little different.
turbo's can be fitted no problem, we are in Seaford Victoria.

Enrbee

Well she is a mess at the moment! Have cut out the seat deck in about the only place I can fit a shower... have to sink the shower down into one of the bins to give enough clearance. Looking at building up a shower unit myself - was thinking fibreglass but someone suggested floor vinyl that is used in disabled showers.
Have half of the Lithium batteries giving 200Amps @ 12v, will be ordering another 200Amps worth soon. The 900W solar panels should arrive in a week or two and the Samsung fridge arrives on Tuesday. Now all I need is some time!
Read with interest the discussions regarding tyres but haven't come to a conclusion yet - have 19.5" rims and expect to be doing a fair bit of sand driving so not sure on that one.

Geelong Fuso said they couldn't supply a Winch Bar for my model so looking for a winch and a Bar to hold it. Will get one of those fancy LSDs for the front Diff when I have some spare money. The list is SO long!

canter tourer

Adventurer
Welcome Neil, long lists are what us home builders all seem to have!
My 2 cents on wheels, are get in touch with Alan for his 16" alloy wheels, they are the single biggest improvement I have bolted on to my bomb, better highway speed, much better ride and looks just right with 315/75/16 tyres on them.

canter tourer

Adventurer
How are you getting away with 878mm diameter tyres? (ie. more than 50mm bigger than stock)

I assume this is directed at me, I'm not sure what you mean by "getting away with it", I just bolted them on and away I went, the way they should have come from the factory.

I know there is significant discussion in other threads about rims/tyres and there are a mountain of opinions, I have simply elected to fit them and enjoy the ride.

No one looks twice at it, but I have not investigated engineering if that's what you meant and the same could be said for fitting 19.5" rims as they are not standard either, but given that earthcruiser has them fitted as compliant, if I could be bothered I guess they could be approved. Either way, I'm just enjoying the improvement in ride and not too concerned with big brother, I always have the original horrors to put back on if needed.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
No one looks twice at it, but I have not investigated engineering if that's what you meant and the same could be said for fitting 19.5" rims as they are not standard either, but given that earthcruiser has them fitted as compliant, if I could be bothered I guess they could be approved.
Unless you have an accident...
Also, I think you will find that both EarthCruiser and ATW have Second Stage Manufacturing certification for their wheel/tyre configurations.
For you to get your wheels/tyres certified it may not be as simple as you think.

canter tourer

Adventurer
Unless you have an accident...
Also, I think you will find that both EarthCruiser and ATW have Second Stage Manufacturing certification for their wheel/tyre configurations.
For you to get your wheels/tyres certified it may not be as simple as you think.

You are correct, they do, but if it is possible for them, then it could be achieved. I just choose to drive very carefully!!!

Sorry Neil, didn't want to turn your thread into a wheel debate, so this is my last on this. Good luck with your adventures!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan