Just took on the Lockwood Creek/Miller Jeep trails

tiger

t was a blast in my stock 1990 trooper on 31s. I was unfamiliar with the area and I was wheeling solo. I got a nice map from the ranger at the Chuchupate ranger station and he advised me not to go past the second creek crossing. Well I completed the Lockwood Creek trail (I actually camped one night half way through). When I got to the second creek crossing I parked at the small Sunset Campground to have a little breakfast. I hiked up the Miller Jeep Trail and investigated the different difficult sections. I even picked out the best lines for my vehicle. When I got back down and had lunch a group of 4 modded jeeps came up to have lunch before taking on the Miller. I talked to one of the gentlemen from the group and found out that they were part of the Inland Empire Four Wheel club. He asked me if I wanted to join their group and I happily agreed.

Prior to leaving

Topping off in Frazier Park

Chuchupate Ranger Station by night

For the first night I camped here along a trail

This is sort of a snack food. Ak Mak and Tuna and Sirachi

Look at the view

THis was a Fire Fighting Heli that is operated by the USFS and was parked at the Chuchupate Ranger station.

This is the trooper as I approached the First Lock wood creek crossing. THe Lockwood Creek Trail begins immediately afterwards. A black Diamond Trail

I paused here to take a picture while the trail was flat. The Lockwood Creek trail is rigorous and challenging but very doable and fun. Be sure to airdown.

This was my Dinner where I camped along the Lockwood Creek Trail.

This is how i slept minus the dirty laundry. It is an option for anyone under six feet tall. I'm just at six feet and I just fit.

This is sunset after a nice solar shower.

Some very quintessential looking eggs for breakfast at the Sunset Campground.

A snapshot of my location on the map

The Miller Jeep trail ends at this wide open campground on the top of Alamo Mountain. The hike up here was daunting but the experience was awesome.

And here a snap shot of myself actually riding up the Trail. It was exhilarating and did deal me out a little bit of rocker damage. Minimal though. And I did drag a couple boulders with my rear diff.

And Finally, A victory pose atop Alamo Mountain. From here there is a dirt road back down to Hungry Valley.

tiger

My dad had a catchy nick name for it and that kinda got me starting to use it. "Rooster sauce"

wyojoe

Adventurer
That trail is right in my backyard, though it's been a while since I've taken it. There is a lot to explore in the area, and several other 4x4 trails to take, though most of them are dead end trails. The weather is getting cooler now, and when the snow flies, they'll be closing many of the local trails, to prevent erosion.

Those are some great pictures. I'm glad you made it through without much damage. I've certainly seen worse in the many times I've run the trail or talked to others that have done so. The nice thing about it is that there are groups on the trail frequently, so even if you don't have anyone to run it with, it's usually possible to find a group headed that way. A stop at the Flying J on a Saturday or Sunday morning will frequently allow you to find someone headed that way.

Nice Trooper, too, by the way!

tiger

Lol thanks for the comment on my trooper. I did go on one other trail that was really fun. I can't remember what it was called but I think it was number 38(?) I was wondering about what it would be like to go there to play in the snow. The only problem I can foresee is that the five freeway can be shut down when it snows. I'm sure a little pre trip investigation could tell me when it's open.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
"Rooster Juice"!! Awesome stuff, when used in moderation! :coffeedrink:

Great pics and report! Cool you found some Jeepers willing to let you join them. There's a few who give the rest of us a bad name, by laughing at folks in stock rigs. My question to them is: "How did they start?"

It's not always the rig, IMO it's 90% driver skill and experience.

wyojoe

Adventurer
I was wondering about what it would be like to go there to play in the snow. The only problem I can foresee is that the five freeway can be shut down when it snows.

The freeway isn't usually the problem. Whenever there is snow on the trails, the USFS shuts them down so you can't go play on them. There really aren't any trails around where you can go to play in the snow when there's enough snow to play in. Even Hungry Valley SVRA gets shut down when it snows there. About the only snow play we get in the area is out on the local roads before the plows get to them. :-(

As for the freeway, there is almost always another route you can take to get up "on the hill" as we like to say. Most of the canyon roads that head north from Santa Clarita will get you up to highway 138, which you can then take back to Gorman, and Gorman Post Road and Frazier Mountain Park Road will take you the rest of the way into Frazier Park as long as you're careful when driving in the snow and ice. I have only seen one storm (or maybe two) over the last 20 or so years that caused all the canyon roads to be closed (and highway. 14, too). On that occasion, the CHP allowed local residents through the roadblock on I-5 as long as they had ID and four wheel drive.

A great website to help you see when it's closed is the CHP website linked below. It's also great for regular traffic reports so you can check on things before you head out somewhere. I'm pretty sure the radio folks use it for their traffic reports, too. Here's the link:

http://cad.chp.ca.gov

To check on the grapevine, select "Custom Region" from the "Searches" pick list, then select "Bakersfield - Ft. Tejon" and "Los Angeles - Newhall" and click the "go" button. This will provide you with information that is as close to real time as I've seen anywhere.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior