Just when is it "enough"? (2014 New Year's Resolution)

Louisd75

Adventurer
truth is next time the issue arises it'll get properly powder coated. I just like the 2012 custom paint scheme I had (English Blue with white panels and pinstripes) so wanted a few years with it.

You could get a custom powdercoat. I've seen Spectrum Powder Works' jobs at Interbike and NAHBS and have always kept them in the back of my mind should I ever get around to a fancy powdercoat job.

https://www.google.com/search?q=spe...=829&dpr=1.5#tbm=isch&q=spectrum+powder+works

I think the complete formula is n+1 ≤ s-1, where "s" is the number of bikes that causes ire with the spouse.

Luckily my spouse is catching up to me with her bikes, but it seems that the bikes we ride the most are relatively plain Jane. She's got an old steel Rockhopper, I've got an old Surly Crosscheck. We've got a Co-Motion tandem that we'll use if we're going somewhere together. The only "special" bike that hasn't been ridden lately is the old Salsa built by Ross before he sold Salsa to QBP. Everything else is just taking up bike hook space at the moment, but they aren't taking up needed space, so they'll stay.

p nut

butter
...That said, it's easy to justify a big fleet with one cross bike, one 29er hardtail, one fatty, okay....one rigid fatty, one full suspension fatty. Well, we can't not have a 27.5+ full suspension carbon bike, so let's cram that in the rack....

The evolution/reintruduction of wheel/tire sizes alone has doubled the number of my bikes. Really cool stuff they're coming out with in the + sizes that has me intrigued in many different bikes. It's hard not to experience some of these new/old tech as bike enthusiasts.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I know, right. I find I go to the garage to select a bike with more funky criteria than ever before in my riding days. Some days I don't feel like pushing fat tires up the climbs. Some days I wan't squish and narrow tires. Or, squish and mid-fat tires. Or, narrow rigid. Or, full fat squish.

fortel

Adventurer
I've found that being a state government employee with the corresponding paycheck is an efficient way to keep the number of bikes bought to a minimum :(

That, plus keeping the wife and son in bikes also.

So I'm stuck at the moment with my Stumpjumper 29er hardtail for singletrack and my Tricross for gravel and other. I did junk the crappy Sram crankset (creakset!!!) on the Tricross and replaced it with a 105 crank to go with the 105 front and rear d's so at least I finally have a quiet and clean shifting bike to ride. Since my retina surgery and the resulting permanent distortion in that eye, I have to ride singletrack pretty slow to keep from over riding what that eye can process. That has me thinking about wanting to find a way to pick up a fat bike. I think it would bring back some of the fun that has been lost on mtb rides right now. Keep hoping to get lucky picking up a used one.

Longtrailahead

I for one can say that I am getting a little better on said topic here. I have decreased my two-wheeled horde down to only three bikes now. My stable is comprised only of a long distance touring bike - a SURLY, a mountain bike - Giant 29'er, and a fixed gear track bike, which is only like a half of a bike since it weighs next to nothing. So 2.5 bikes is all for me right now. The extra space gained in by selling off three bikes, has now afforded more room for another vice which has taken over my man-garage, kayaks.

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
I have a fail safe solution...

I made a goal to not look at other bikes until I ride as many miles on it as I paid for it. I have 3 bikes - '99 Cannondale Jekyll, '09 Tricross and a 2012 Roubaix...That last Roubaix is gonna take awhile:coffee:

Regards,

BWJ

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998