K.Ray's Lame Tacoma Build Thread

K.Ray

Adventurer
Warn VR10000 Install

A winch is just insurance in my mind. I've gone nearly 20 years without one and see no real reason to invest heavily in one, but...they're nice to have when you really do need them. I wasn't going to skimp and went with Warn.

What a hot mess.

The temp was holding steady right around 27F on Saturday morning. A good friend was in town from Charlotte and had installed his M8000, a few weeks prior, into his Nissan Frontier's ARB bumper. We thought we'd slap this sucker on real quick in the warm garage. The ARB bumper had a different story in mind.

The install was neither warm nor quick.

Four hours later we had the thing on and wired up. I'd say we fought with the winch grade-8 retainer nuts for a solid hour of that time. But, it's on there. And it's super rad.

jZLvk1Pl.jpg
RZ0F7o1l.jpg

YcKVrENl.jpg
HX0wJMAl.jpg

Last edited:

K.Ray

Adventurer
OME & Wheeler's Lift Install

So I purchased my lift from Wheeler's Offroad. Decent company. Great customer service. Very very strange payment methods. I was charged $72 shipping after I paid. You wont know this unless you read the fine-print. I was rather put off by this but decided to move forward with the purchase. Delivery was also frustrating as only one box required a signature. I had to reroute this one to the depot due to being offsite most of the day. Whatever - it arrived in good form and the parts went on easily. I'll call it a slightly expensive success.

I went back and forth on this part. I've been mulling how to approach a lift since before even buying the truck. The internet says any number of lift heights will be possible, and, to make it even more complex, the aftermarket supplies nearly limitless different ways to lift a Tacoma.

After weeks and weeks of racking my brain, I decided on the OME 885x front lift coils and the Wheeler's Offroad progressive 3-leaf AAL system for the rear. Let's break this down...

I have an access cab with ARB bumper and Warn VR10k winch up front. That's basically 200lbs of extra weight way out past the axle (leverage). OME says 886 coils are for double cabs with bumper and winch. Internet says 886 for anything with bumper and winch. I found a few reports of guys with access cabs saying 885 is the highest they would go. I was confused. Further investigation resulting in finding 884 coils and 887 coils also being viable options. And, don't forget all the coilover systems and Eibach springs.

I didn't want a lot of lift. I wanted a nice 2" bump after settling. I threw the dice and finally decided on 885 coils with my Bilsteins set at 0". I felt this would net me 2-2.5" lift when all said and done.

The rear was also challenging. During the week I run around with the truck bed empty but I do have a Leer camper shell. I do have the towing package with the upgraded hitch on the rear and will probably put a rear bumper and tire carrier on the back end eventually. During overlanding trips I install my bed platform and load the truck down with all our gear. Plan is to add a roof rack system and roof top tent, too. That's a lot of variable weight!

My heart wanted the OME Dakar springs but my brain said wait it out to see how the front worked out. I know from friends that the Dakar is advertised as a mild 1.5-3" lift (depending on vehicle specifics), but I knew from real world that they give 3-4". With no way of knowing how high the front end would be I didn't want to blow $600 on a sick muscle-car rake.

I decided on the very budget friendly wheeler's offroad 3-leaf progressive AAL system. They're advertised as giving 1.5" of lift on a stock rig with overload spring removed and 2.25" with the overload spring. Ha. I elected to keep my overload spring due to all the weight and towing I will be doing. It landed me quite a bit over that after installed with my camper shell and empty bed. I fully expect this to settle down over the next few weeks as I drive around. We'll see where it ends up.

The entire lift took about 4 hours to install in a garage with airtools and multiple tool boxes full of fun specialty hand tools. The worst part was fitting the OME coils into the system with their stiffness. If I had to do it over again I'd get my local 4x4 shop to build the coil/strut assembly in a safer manner.

Now, the business! Why you're here. Final numbers a day after install:
Front OME 885x lift w/ 5100 @ 0": 2.9"
Rear 3-leaf AAL lift w/ overload: 3.4"

Yo3D8RPl.jpg
hUy4YQRl.jpg

cUwqSzll.jpg
rHe0wCcl.jpg

mH4m2VTl.jpg

Last edited:

deadbeat son

Explorer
Now, the business! Why you're here. Final numbers a day after install:
Front OME 885x lift w/ 5100 @ 0": 2.9"
Rear 3-leaf AAL lift w/ overload: 3.4"

Good info, that's some serious lift out of those add-a-leafs. Which 5100 rear shock are you running? They have one for 0-1.5" of lift, or another for 3-4".

K.Ray

Adventurer
Running the stock flavor for 0-1.5" lift or 0-2.5" lift or 0-2" lift. I've seen it stated as all three all over the internet so not really sure. But they are not the 3"+ flavor.

I'm still running stock leaf springs with overload so there's no extra travel like a dakar leaf pack would introduce so no issues.

deadbeat son

Explorer
Running the stock flavor for 0-1.5" lift or 0-2.5" lift or 0-2" lift. I've seen it stated as all three all over the internet so not really sure. But they are not the 3"+ flavor.

I'm still running stock leaf springs with overload so there's no extra travel like a dakar leaf pack would introduce so no issues.

Good to know there aren't any issues with those shocks, I'm running the same on my Tacoma. I need to do something with my rear suspension soon, but I'm still undecided as to what. I've only been saying this for 7 years....

I may wait until Toyota finally finalizes the leaf spring recall to make up my mind. My TSB leaves have seriously sagged over the years and can't handle a decent load.

K.Ray

Adventurer
Quick photo dump. We adventured out in the rain over the weekend and decided to explore a trail we've heard about many times but had never actually set foot on; Hurricane Creek in Western NC. It did not disappoint! We then hooked north and hiked Max Patch in the wind and fog. The wind at the summit was filled with stinging fog and nearly fierce enough to move me backwards in the mud unless I muscled my way forward. We had an absolutely amazing time.

7TEHgAIl.jpg

Last edited:

K.Ray

Adventurer
Good to know there aren't any issues with those shocks, I'm running the same on my Tacoma. I need to do something with my rear suspension soon, but I'm still undecided as to what. I've only been saying this for 7 years....

I may wait until Toyota finally finalizes the leaf spring recall to make up my mind. My TSB leaves have seriously sagged over the years and can't handle a decent load.

I thoroughly tested the limits of the suspension this past weekend with zero issues. As far as the leaf-spring thing goes, Toyota has actually finalized. The schedule for deployment is posted somewhere. It's all based around what state you live in. That will dictate when you get your letter of instruction.

deadbeat son

Explorer
Looks like a fun trip!

I thoroughly tested the limits of the suspension this past weekend with zero issues. As far as the leaf-spring thing goes, Toyota has actually finalized. The schedule for deployment is posted somewhere. It's all based around what state you live in. That will dictate when you get your letter of instruction.

Thanks, based on your tip I found it. Looks like April for me, I can wait that long. But from the photos of replaced springs I've seen, it looks like the same springs as the TSB packs, just with additional clamps to prevent any broken leaves from swinging out and puncturing the tank. Maybe an aftermarket solution would be better.

K.Ray

Adventurer
Looks like a fun trip!

Thanks, based on your tip I found it. Looks like April for me, I can wait that long. But from the photos of replaced springs I've seen, it looks like the same springs as the TSB packs, just with additional clamps to prevent any broken leaves from swinging out and puncturing the tank. Maybe an aftermarket solution would be better.

You're kidding? Man, that's mildly infuriating. I was waiting but I guess I'll go OME Dakar once my pack wears down.

BleekerB

How is the ride with the added weight on the 885x springs? I have an access cab also and was set on the 886 coils but if the 885x rides better and achieves the desired support then that's the way I'll go.

K.Ray

Adventurer
Ride is nearly stock-like with the ARB and winch. Also, kind of hard to tell with the better damped Bilsteins. It's in no way firm or jarring. I didn't want the stiffer spring rate of the 886 but wanted the extra length that the 885 has. I'm very happy with the results and only wish I could get the same type of results and lift-height in the rear to match.

As you can see the front ended up around 2" of lift. The rear (with the 1.5" 3-leaf AAL) ended up between 3-4" of lift. Silly. And that is with the camper shell on the back.

vCRV0mph.jpg

Last edited:

BleekerB

The rear should ideally settle a little more right? It also encourages you to get a rack and tent up on that cap.

K.Ray

Adventurer
The rear should ideally settle a little more right? It also encourages you to get a rack and tent up on that cap.

I can only hope. This shell wont support a rack/tent setup. I'm planning on finding a commercial grade shell to handle the extra weight of a setup like that. For now we camp out in the bed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78