K.Ray's Lame Tacoma Build Thread

BleekerB

I gotcha. I'm planning on building your bed platform this summer. Thank you for putting up measurements and supplies all in one spot. I sleep in my bed under a shell but at the moment I use one of those Airbedz air mattresses and I haven't been too pleased with it. The idea is good but I can't seem to keep it inflated for a whole night.

K.Ray

Adventurer
I gotcha. I'm planning on building your bed platform this summer. Thank you for putting up measurements and supplies all in one spot. I sleep in my bed under a shell but at the moment I use one of those Airbedz air mattresses and I haven't been too pleased with it. The idea is good but I can't seem to keep it inflated for a whole night.

Yes, and the tacoma bed has holes in it so those things tend to get dirty and take up valuable storage space. The bed platform has been great for us aside form one aspect - tight quarters. If you're a larger person it's very cramped in there and airflow seems to trap moisture. I think once it starts warming up we can leave the side screen windows open to help with that, however.

Feel free to ping me with any questions you might have when you do your build. Happy to help wherever I can.

deadbeat son

Explorer
You're kidding? Man, that's mildly infuriating. I was waiting but I guess I'll go OME Dakar once my pack wears down.

Unfortunately, that's what it looks like. The key word being looks. I guess I'll wait a couple of months and see for myself.

BleekerB

Yes, and the tacoma bed has holes in it so those things tend to get dirty and take up valuable storage space. The bed platform has been great for us aside form one aspect - tight quarters. If you're a larger person it's very cramped in there and airflow seems to trap moisture. I think once it starts warming up we can leave the side screen windows open to help with that, however.

Feel free to ping me with any questions you might have when you do your build. Happy to help wherever I can.

I appreciate it man. I'm planning on meeting up with you guys when I get back in town this summer. I'm looking forward to going on some trips with the Bold Overland crew.

K.Ray

Adventurer
To fix the stance problem, just line the rear crossmember with lead. That'll fix it :D

Or all my camping gear. Ha.
Why Toyota put 3.73 gearing in a TRD Off-road truck I'll never understand.

I appreciate it man. I'm planning on meeting up with you guys when I get back in town this summer. I'm looking forward to going on some trips with the Bold Overland crew.

Looking forward to it. I think they make the formal announcement of Amanda and I coming on board next week. We're very excited to be part of the team.

K.Ray

Adventurer
I want to switch gears for a moment and give a shout out to a good friend who's going on an amazing journey. I spent the better portion of the last two weeks helping my buddy Zach Bowman get his rig buttoned down for a 365 day tour of America. He sold nearly everything he owned and will be piling his family in his Four Wheel Camper to see all the things over the next year.

He has a ExpeditionPortal build thread here:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/153441-The-Bowman-Odyssey-Rig

He also writes for TheDrive.com and will be professionally documenting the entire trip here:

http://www.thedrive.com/article/982/why-im-selling-everything-and-taking-my-family-on-the-road

We did a marathon 24 hours of installs on Wednesday to finish up most of the exterior/major bits. All that's left is packing the thing and the going part. They leave in nearly 48 hours of me writing this post.

K.Ray

Adventurer

We are very excited to announce that we are officially joining the BOLD Overland team!

We look forward to pursuing our passions with like minded folks and sharing our outdoor knowledge experience with others.
We will be travelling to Overland Expo 2016 WEST with the team in May. After attending the expo we'll be doing a week of overlanding through Arizona, Utah, and Colorado. We hope to hit Moab, Telluride, and possibly Grand Junction to see some friends. Dates are May 17 through May 30. If anyone would like to meet up feel free to PM me.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Or all my camping gear. Ha.
Why Toyota put 3.73 gearing in a TRD Off-road truck I'll never understand.

Hey man, keep complaining. I've got 3.36 gears in my "Datsun".

The trip looks like a blast, but you're missing me by about twelve hours haha. Looks like a lot of fun though. Jealous.

K.Ray

Adventurer
Hey man, keep complaining. I've got 3.36 gears in my "Datsun".

The trip looks like a blast, but you're missing me by about twelve hours haha. Looks like a lot of fun though. Jealous.

3.36? Yikes. Time for a re-gear.

I stalked your profile and see that you're in Montana. Definitely no plans to get that far north on this adventure. I hear it's absolutely amazing there though.

Adventurous

Explorer
Not sure how set in stone your trip route is but I would HIGHLY recommend when you hit the junction of 285 and 50 at Salida, CO going 285 further south and heading west via 160. Once you hit Durango turn north and you should be able to get into Telluride via Ophir Pass. 50 from Salida to Montrose is kind of a dry drive, its much more picturesque the other way.

K.Ray

Adventurer
Not sure how set in stone your trip route is but I would HIGHLY recommend when you hit the junction of 285 and 50 at Salida, CO going 285 further south and heading west via 160. Once you hit Durango turn north and you should be able to get into Telluride via Ophir Pass. 50 from Salida to Montrose is kind of a dry drive, its much more picturesque the other way.

That would be the reverse direction of travel for us. We have to hit Flagstaff first for Overland Expo so we'll just shoot out I-40. Then we'll head north to Moab directly after. I believe we may break off and visit some friends in Grand Junction after that. It's all kind of up in the air at this point. I do appreciate the info though.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
3.36? Yikes. Time for a re-gear.

I stalked your profile and see that you're in Montana. Definitely no plans to get that far north on this adventure. I hear it's absolutely amazing there though.

Haha it's not as bad as it sounds. My transmission is geared way different from the Tacoma's.

Yep, south central Montana. It's an awesome place, and a pretty well-kept secret. You gotta know where to go though. Montana has a whole lot of nothing too.

K.Ray

Adventurer
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78