K2500 Suburban Questions

BBslider001

Diesel Head
Ok, I figured I would start a new thread rather than adding to the old one. First and foremost, my Trip odometer does not work. Anyone else had this happen? The regular OD works fine, but I would like to have the trip one work for mileage purposes....not a real big deal.

Second, the bigger one....I am having a heck of a time with smog issues. I have replaced the CAT and that helped a lot with the readings, but it still fails due to high NoX, which is ususally EGR related. I am replacing the EGR and Solenoid tonight and getting it retested tomorrow. I have been reading that this can be due to high compression temps as well which can be for a myriad of different reasons. If the current repairs don't fix this, I may be looking at having to get rid of this truck :mad: I am just frustrated and really don't want that to happen, but I don't want to spend countless money chasing down expensive problems. Anyone with experience and input on this would be my frickin' hero.

The PO knew it had these problems and I did not ask, but he got one over on me. I have always bought from dealers and did not know that, legally, he was suppsoed to have it smogged before selling....shame on me for being fooled. I am into this problem about $600 and no solutions is making me a little frustrated.

Anyways, long post, but looking for answers. Thanks!!

Have you checked the evap system for leaks or a leaky gas cap? The best way to do this is with a smoke machine and with the purge valve closed. Obviously a smoke machine is not a common tool to have lying around but most emmisions qualified shops should have one. I'm in chicago and all vehicles newer than 96 must be tested and i'm pretty sure your truck has an evap system. if it is leaking the truck will not pass emmisions. In my experience about 70% of vehicles that do not pass it is due to the eval system which on many vehicles is connected with the erg. Like i said your burb should have it but i wouldnt be surprised if it didn't. If its not the evap or cat, the egr is the next place to look. make sure your gas cap is sealing properly as well. good luck, emmisions are always a pain in the ***

btw if he was supposed to have it smogged before selling it you should be able to get him to cover some of the costs or buy back the truck if it does not pass. dealers selling without following the rules can get them into big trouble and even cuase them to lose a license, especially in illinois and im sure california is the same way. If you go back to him im sure he wont want to deal with the headaches of having the state go after him, it'd be easier if he just dealt with you.

bob91yj

Resident **************
Where in SoCal are you? I work at a GMC dealership in Escondido (North San Diego County, right off I-15). I'm willing to have one of my guys take a look at it for you. Sounds to me like you are throwing parts at it hoping they will fix it rather than getting a real diagnosis. PM me if interested.

Scrib

Observer
Quickest and least-expensive road to emissions happiness is to let a shop that has a sniffer make it pass.

1leg

Explorer
Where in SoCal are you? I work at a GMC dealership in Escondido (North San Diego County, right off I-15). I'm willing to have one of my guys take a look at it for you. Sounds to me like you are throwing parts at it hoping they will fix it rather than getting a real diagnosis. PM me if interested.

I work just around the corner from you.

Ok, I figured I would start a new thread rather than adding to the old one. First and foremost, my Trip odometer does not work. Anyone else had this happen? The regular OD works fine, but I would like to have the trip one work for mileage purposes....not a real big deal.

Second, the bigger one....I am having a heck of a time with smog issues. I have replaced the CAT and that helped a lot with the readings, but it still fails due to high NoX, which is ususally EGR related. I am replacing the EGR and Solenoid tonight and getting it retested tomorrow. I have been reading that this can be due to high compression temps as well which can be for a myriad of different reasons. If the current repairs don't fix this, I may be looking at having to get rid of this truck :mad: I am just frustrated and really don't want that to happen, but I don't want to spend countless money chasing down expensive problems. Anyone with experience and input on this would be my frickin' hero.

The PO knew it had these problems and I did not ask, but he got one over on me. I have always bought from dealers and did not know that, legally, he was suppsoed to have it smogged before selling....shame on me for being fooled. I am into this problem about $600 and no solutions is making me a little frustrated.

Anyways, long post, but looking for answers. Thanks!!

Not sure if you want to spend more money, but i have found it useful to have cable and software to read the ob1 data. If you live near san diego it's possible i can do some data logs for you.

http://www.tunerpro.net/downloadApp.htm
http://www.aldlcable.com/

Whatever you do PM me before you send the truck to the junk yard.

Last edited:

BBslider001

Diesel Head

Hey man, thanks so much for the offer. I would definitely take you up on it, BUT IT PASSED TODAY!! The only parts left to replace were the EGR and Solenoid. They were cheap and it only took me 15 minutes of my time to do the work. My NoX readings were cut down to about a 3rd of what they were yesterday. On to the DMV in the morning to finally get the registration finished!! I will keep you in mind for the future and thanks again for the offer!

I work just around the corner from you.

Not sure if you want to spend more money, but i have found it useful to have cable and software to read the ob1 data. If you live near san diego it's possible i can do some data logs for you.

http://www.tunerpro.net/downloadApp.htm
http://www.aldlcable.com/

Whatever you do PM me before you send the truck to the junk yard.

Lance, see above post! And thank you as well for the willingness to help. I am so happy this thing didn't go to the "retirement program" that our state offers.

I am in Oceanside and would love to meet up with some other Expo/Suburban guys in the area. Where do you work?

Stoked to be moving forward on making this truck better and better.

BBslider001

Diesel Head
btw if he was supposed to have it smogged before selling it you should be able to get him to cover some of the costs or buy back the truck if it does not pass. dealers selling without following the rules can get them into big trouble and even cuase them to lose a license, especially in illinois and im sure california is the same way. If you go back to him im sure he wont want to deal with the headaches of having the state go after him, it'd be easier if he just dealt with you.

I hear you, but I got it passed today! I don't have his number anymore and I know he is broke as all get out. It would have been more trouble than it was worth. Lesson learned when buying from a private owner in my awesome state I call home. I love this place, but sometimes this kind of stuff is a real PITA!!! Again, thanks for your help!

Revco

Adventurer
Tripmeter in my '93 K2500 doesn't work either...stuck at 476 miles. Bugs the hell out of me, but whatever, I'm used to it. I've searched around, looks like the only real fix is to swap it with another. I don't have time to take it apart and inspect it...might be an easy fix.

I'm glad I don't have to deal with emissions testing...although mine would probably pass.

1leg

Explorer
Lance, see above post! And thank you as well for the willingness to help. I am so happy this thing didn't go to the "retirement program" that our state offers.

I am in Oceanside and would love to meet up with some other Expo/Suburban guys in the area. Where do you work?

Stoked to be moving forward on making this truck better and better.

Not all 1legged guys are named Lance! LOL :)

Glad you got the truck smogged, offer still stands if you ever need some help.

BBslider001

Diesel Head
Not all 1legged guys are named Lance! LOL :)

Glad you got the truck smogged, offer still stands if you ever need some help.

Jerry!!!! My biggest apologies! I had a total brain-crap. I may take you up on the offer someday. Don't we have a SoCal Expo group? How often are gatherings? Oh, and any input on the trip OD in my truck that has quit on me?

1leg

Explorer
No Problem. it happens so often on this site that it doesn't bother me, plus Lance is a super cool dude.

No idea on the trip od. Might have to tare into it and see. likely a gear in the speedo broke. I think they were still gear driven in those years.

BBslider001

Diesel Head
Hey guys, a little update on my amazing TBI 454...moving into house this weekend that has a 2 car garage and needless to say I am stoked!!! I have a list of things waiting to get done on the Burban, but I wanted to wait until I had good space to do everything. I got tired of going to the shop to do even the simplest of projects. So, the list:

1) Replace front calipers/completely bleed brake system
2) Replace the blinker module in the steering column
3) Replace the rear pinion seal, it's leaking like crazy
4) Replace rear glass latch
4) Replace hydroboost unit, it's leaking as well
5) Replace mid/rear door speakers...they crackle
6) Replace thermo-actuator

That is all I can think of for now for the immediate future. I am going to make it Baja Mexico and trail capable in the next 6 months with different tires and some other mods, but nothing crazy. As I have said before, I just want a dependable/capable daily driver that we can roadtrip in and find epic surf on the CA/Baja Coast. I think I may be missing some stuff, but I'll check back in if I think of anything. Will post pics when the projects come together next weekend!

BBslider001

Diesel Head
If you are handy and dont want to spend big $$$ on a rebuilt hydroboost try rebuilding it yourself. Read the manual and pay attention to the little check ball when taking it apart or you will be looking for it in the dirt under the truck :) . http://www.piratejack.net/index.php...d=314&vmcchk=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=6 I called them to make sure I got the right kit.

I just may do that. I didn't realize you can rebuild them. I had priced one out for about $50, so I'll compare time/$$ vs. just replacing the unit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998