Kamper Build Aussie Style - Romers new Kimberley Karavan

Tazman

Adventurer
Do you have an arrival date yet, Taz?

My S3 is in production currently. They are behind schedule but I'm not in a hurry, just excited. Currency is against me. My economist got the dollar call wrong or I would have played it differently. I'm only out .025.

Romer

Adventurer
At Cruise Moab. My Karavan next to a Kimberley Kamper like my old one. Welcome to camp Oz :)
oz.jpg

Last edited:

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
At Cruise Moab. My Karavan next to a Kimberley Kamper like my old one. Welcome to camp Oz :)

Did you get contact info for the owner? I still think it would be fun to have a North America Kimberley Gathering some time. That is, if I can ever get my karavan repaired so I can use it.

Tazman

Adventurer
Mine is shipping within a week or so. A couple months late but no big deal. Kind of like looking forward to Christmas with a moving date. We are going to the Overland Expo without this trailer, staying in a cabin in the area. I would be open to a US get together.

image.jpeg

Romer

Adventurer
Did you get contact info for the owner? I still think it would be fun to have a North America Kimberley Gathering some time. That is, if I can ever get my karavan repaired so I can use it.

Yes, we have been close friends for years and have been camping next to each other on many occasions, before it was two Kampers. Now he calls me his rich uncle :D

The Karavan worked great. I am sure the S3 would be more comfortable, especially with the bathroom. I can get mine in my garage and into a lot more places on the trail. It was a successful first use and I am very pleased

Fuji4

Observer
financing an australian camper?

Does everyone pay cash for aussie built campers? or are there companies that will finance without a USA presence?
Cheers,

Romer

Adventurer
I paid cash, not sure what others have done. They can provide a bill of sale and send the US title to the bank.

You could ask Kimberley as they would likely know

Tazman

Adventurer
I paid cash as well so I can't add comment. I have a rule, never finance things that depreciates if possible.

I can share a picture or two with the group. We took our first trip in our Kimberley last week. We were at Warner Valley Campground at Lassen National Park. Wonderful trip with the first snow and nobody there. Nobody but a wonderful Kimberley owner from Idaho, Kathy and Steve. We had a couple of hard to ship Lithion batteries for them and they decided to meet us, pick up the batteries and spend some quality time with a rare Kimberley owner. The trailer worked perfectly even with temps in the 20%.

IMG_2854.jpg
IMG_2837.jpg

Fuji4

Observer
Very cool. Did you get any cold weather options on the s3? It doesnt get that cold in Australia. I was wondering how they would fare in the winter.

Tazman

Adventurer
I do have heaters on the tanks but they consumed 9 amps so I turned them off. The trailer has a Webasco diesel heater. We cranked it to high and when the outside temperatures dropped to the 20s, we stayed 68. It is definitely not a four season rig but you can stay comfortable in 20 degree weather. I did use a full 4 liter tank of fuel on the coldest day and needed to run my Honda 1000 about two hours a day to keep the batteries in good shape. The solar production while parked in the forest while cloudy, was minimal as expected.

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
My Karavan has the so-called winterized option (tank heater and insulated water lines). However, when I close it up for the winter, I drain all water from the tanks and water lines; and replace it with RV antifreeze.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12