Kanab Utah (Hog Canyon)

jl8088

Adventurer
Hey Guys, recently I drove out to Lake Powell (UT/AZ border) from San Diego and stayed the night in a small town named Kanab Utah. Before i left San Diego i found an area named hog canyon right outside of the city limits that offered some trails. I decided to hit it up with the limited amount of light left. Very scenic! The trail that i did (don't know any names) was relatively easy but there was very fine dust/sand that was pretty deep (6 to 8 inches) that made me drop the air pressure down to 20lbs. There looked to be a lot more trails up there, but i didn't have time to explore anything more than the one little trail i did.

Kanab%20Utah.JPG

Kanab%20Utah%202.JPG

Kanab%20Utah%203.JPG

Kanab%20Utah%204.JPG

S

Scenic WonderRunner

SWEET!

Anything Utah.........is just SWEET!

How fun to just find a trail and head out!

That's what it's all about!

Thanks for sharing!

Total Utah Luva here!

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Hog Canyon is a great area, there are a couple of "recognized" trails in the canyon, as well as numberous spurs and loops to interconnect them all.

We did the Savage Point trail during the spring... it offers an excellent mix of sandstone, sand and dirt track, not to mention some great views towards the end :cool:

Other trails would be Toms Canyon and ??? (the name escapes me right now)

Savage Point Trail:
CM07_Kanab%20073%20%28Small%29.jpg

Complete trip report here:
http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com/PG_KanabCruiseMoab_May07.html

AZTrooper

Adventurer
I just got back from Lake Powell this last weekend. My family has a timeshare on a house boat up there for 4 weeks every summer. I haven't been wheeling up in Kanab, but, I've driven through Kanab a hundred times and never looked for any trails. That's because we were always driving up to Salt Lake City to visit relatives. I'll have to make it a point to stop through there next time and check out some of the back woods sights.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
AZTrooper said:
I just got back from Lake Powell this last weekend. My family has a timeshare on a house boat up there for 4 weeks every summer. I haven't been wheeling up in Kanab, but, I've driven through Kanab a hundred times and never looked for any trails. That's because we were always driving up to Salt Lake City to visit relatives. I'll have to make it a point to stop through there next time and check out some of the back woods sights.

Do, there is a kisosk just up Hog Canyon that details all of the trails... some are very mild and scenic, others you would be wise to have a second vehicle along.

A google search might yeild some more info about the trails in the area, I have some info in print (magazines, trail brochures, etc):

Other Kanab area trails:
Pinnacles Trail aka Big Hill Trail (might be in Hog Canyon?)
Harris Mountain/Elephant Cove Trail
The Maze

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears