katadyn pocket filter

big sky trapper

Adventurer
well I just had a very pleasent experience dealing with their customer service dept.

Last night trying to beat some of the spring fever for getting out some more. Starting going through all my gear. Was playing with my filter in the sink and a very tiny crack emerged from the bottom of the canister. called them up and told my story and they are covering it under warrenty, 15 years later!!! plus sending me an update kit and spare o ring kit as well.

No hagglin' or battering back in forth, just a no problem we'll get it out to you.

I wish more were like that that ive delt with.

Benjisan

Observer
I think outdoor gear companies generally do a great job with their customer service. I hope that trend continues. As for Katadyn, I was thinking about purchasing their Guide filter. It pumps out water at a very high rate but I think its being phased out of their lineup by the Vario? I'll probably go with an MSR just because the ceramic filter lasts longer.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Try before you buy. I had a MSR and it was horrible, never worked. In reality it is also gross overkill for what I need. Swapped it for a Katadyn Hiker when the MSR died after using it a couple times and couldn't be happier.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
bigreen505 said:
Try before you buy. I had a MSR and it was horrible, never worked. In reality it is also gross overkill for what I need. Swapped it for a Katadyn Hiker when the MSR died after using it a couple times and couldn't be happier.
This is the one I've used for years now (actually a PUR Hiker, but same thing). Mine's been great.

big sky trapper

Adventurer
I did try the few that were on the market then, there was only a handfull and i cant even remeber which ones were...I settled on the katadyn. At the time it was the only one that was us miltary "certified" as well as by the world health organization. It still pumps along quit well. But by todays standards it would be considered heavy and does not pump the fastest per volume. But in 15 years of pretty hard and sometimes abusive use its been a good one. last night test is the first issue ive ever had with it.

Another thing that kinda got me good today on the phone with the rep was the filter element is garenteed for 20 years or 5000 gallons of water or when the filter has been signifinctly cleaned that the inspection gauage no longer fits. the rest of the filter minus orings and the rubber suction tube is garenteed for life.

Old heavy and slow it still beats those awfull tablet treatments hands down.

from the newer ones that are out there the msr is the only other filter i've had hands on with. the pump handle seemed a little weak and looked like it could break easily at its pivot point. My sister likes the sweet water for price and simplicity, but it has a low usable life from what i understand...

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Sorry Big Sky, I was responding to Benjisan. All Katadyn filters are heavy and slow, but they get the job done, and that is why they are so popular.

The only pro I could find with the MSR is that it was totally field strippable, and I was able to make it work even after it died. It was also very fast when it worked.

Benjisan

Observer
Yeah, I am still torn between Katadyn and the MSR stuff. The ability to repair the MSR in the field is why I am leaning toward them. I think the Katadyn Guide used to be a PUR design. The only thing I don't like about the Guide is the .03 micron instead of .02 (even though I don't think it will be an issue in the US) and the glass element needs to be replaced more often than the ceramic ones. How often are you guys replacing your filter elements on the Hikers? I also really want to get my hands on one of these and see how it does:
2ad6e69436.jpg

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I got my PUR in about 1995 or so and have replaced my filter once, but it's never actually clogged on me. It may not be the best spec-wise, but 0.3 micron is sufficient and the carbon layer seems to work as advertised, the water never tastes weird. I figure that the source of water isn't always perfect (otherwise why would you be filtering?) and who knows what kinds of sediment, bugs and other debris will be sucked in and so I'd rather give up a little absolute spec to gain a filter that won't be a maintenance issue on a week long backpack trip. I can't say how it compares to other filters, my only other experience is tablets.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Not sure, I have not replaced mine yet, but I don't have a ton of miles on it either. I just keep a coffee filter over the water intake as a prefilter to take out any sediment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78