Kawasaki 650

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
I assume you're talking about the KLR 650. There is also the Versys, which is a much more street oriented twin 650. There used to be a KLX650 as well, which was sort of a more dirt worthy KLR. The comments below are not firsthand, but just repeating others' numerous comments.

The KLR was changed in 2008, becoming a bit heavier and a bit more street friendly. Some 2008 and 2009 models were known to burn oil.

Although one of the larger and heavier dual sport models, it also has many good attributes. Right out of the box, it has a large tank, fairly comfortable seat, huge aftermarket, good highway manners, and is known for being a very reliable and durable motorcycle. They have fairly poor brakes, many people don't like the forks, isn't the fastest bike, and of course the heavy weight. A similar, but more expensive bike, would be the BMW F650/G650 single.

If you're a smaller rider, say under 5'10", you may find the Suzuki DR650 to be a better fit and it is quite a bit lighter. But it has a small gas tank and a torture device for a seat.

No bike is perfect and neither is the KLR. But I believe it has been the number one selling DS bike in the US for some time. There are loads of people who love their KLRs. (and loads of people who like to make fun of KLR riders!)

majornerd

I am lucky enough to have the DR650, the KLR and the F650GS and here are my notes:

Best Dirt performance goes to the DR. It is the lightest and most nimble and has the best feel. I would put some wider pegs on it and plan on a standing ride off road. The early kick start only models are tanks and run forever. They have almost no after market support and great big gas tanks.

The KLR is the Jeep Wrangler of the motorcycle world. Okay on-road, great off road, tons of accessories and will run forever. They can be made as unique as their owners. If you like to tinker this is the bike for you. They are also cheap and mechanically simple. I would get a 1st gen. The support is unlike anything I have ever seen.

The F650gs is a BMW. Properly maintained they will run forever. 100,000+ miles. Can tackle anything you have to give and are great on the road. I have the other 2 bikes for sale since I got the BMW because it is a rockstar of a bike. But it is a BMW. Be prepared for the german tax when it comes to parts.

All three are taller bikes. A good dual sport should be a tall bike. The DR is the lowest. The KLR has lowering kits available. My BMW is particularly high because of the upgraded suspension on it. I am 6', FYI.

Frank

Explorer
I love my KLR and would take it anywhere in the world today if I could....but also feel it (a bike in stock form) needs a LOT from the get go to be an awesome bike. Its mediocre at best out of the box.

I have given a pretty honest review of my bike (in my signature below) ...but it is for sale :)

zombiekilla

Zombie Killa
I am assuming you are talking about Versys? It shares the same chassis as the ER6n and Ninja 650.

I happen to own an ER6n. It's a 4 stroke 2 cyclinder, which generates more torque than HP. It's well balanced, street friendly with quicker acceleration than 4 cyclinders. It looks funny like most dual purpose bike, but Versys is very popular around the world. Full tank (3.5gal) gets me about 150+ miles.

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
I am assuming you are talking about Versys? It shares the same chassis as the ER6n and Ninja 650.

I happen to own an ER6n. It's a 4 stroke 2 cyclinder, which generates more torque than HP. It's well balanced, street friendly with quicker acceleration than 4 cyclinders. It looks funny like most dual purpose bike, but Versys is very popular around the world. Full tank (3.5gal) gets me about 150+ miles.

Why they put thimble sized tanks on most dual sports is beyond me.

Fuel range is one thing you definitely can't complain about a KLR 650. Picking up that top-heavy moto isn't much fun though.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur

That is pretty annoying.

BMW seems to target 150 miles to reserve (then another 50 before you're walking). They need to up that a bit. My 650gs (the old single cylinder) could manage about 250 miles before I started getting really nervous -- but that was such an efficient bike. I averaged just over 70mpg when I rode the western half of the TAT in 2008.

Hound

Sheepdog

Fuel range is one thing you definitely can't complain about a KLR 650. Picking up that top-heavy moto isn't much fun though.

I think you just answered your own question. Top heavy bikes suck to pick up and can be sketchy in certain riding conditions.

sandalscout

Adventurer
I think you just answered your own question. Top heavy bikes suck to pick up and can be sketchy in certain riding conditions.

Yeah. Look at the first dual sport bikes (R80S, etc.... One way to lose 30 pounds off a heavy bike is make the tank smaller.

Plus, the number of bikes going to rear tanks is increasing. Those tanks there are smaller generally anyway.

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader

True but most miles aren't particularly sketchy so most of the time range and convenience wins over stayupability and pickupability. For the desparate miles it is better if the tank isn't full but even then the bike is rather top heavy for my short legs.

I also ride a lighter KLX250S but that just seems to encourage even more dubious navigation so the net result is about the same. And I'm left wondering if I can afford to lose the fuel that I can smell leaking!

RHINO

Expedition Leader
Anyone with overland adventure knowledgee with the Kawasaki 650 bad, good, too big too small etc Thanks

heres a spot on answer to your awesome question, yes

i would say be more specific about what you want in a bike and maybe we can give you better feedback, or, just buy one and decide for yourself since none of us has a clue what you intend to use it for.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman