keep 3rd gen 4runner or get fj cruiser

slides

So I have had my 3rd gen for about a year now and while its good in all it lacks the power and I’m just not super into it. I don’t get the feeling of satisfaction when driving it like the previous cars on road trips. When I was looking for a SUV I really wanted an FJ cruiser but at the time I was not in the best financial situation (college grad) and now that college is over things are better.

I’m not into off-roading like a lot of people on here more just the everyday commuting and the camping trip on some dirt trails. So basically I would like some reviews on the FJ cruiser. I know some people love them and some hate them but for what I’m looking to do I think they would be perfect.

paddlenbike

Adventurer
I am a power freak and after supercharging my 3rd gen it became a completely different vehicle. Way more power than an FJ Cruiser or new 4Runner. However if the vehicle overall does not interest you, (and you can afford it), get what you really want. I'm not a fan of the looks, rear seat entry or blind spots in the FJ, but it's built on a good foundation.

fowldarr

Explorer
Financial Logic almost always argues against getting a new vehicle, and using what you got instead (says the guy paying two vehicle loans). That being said, I drool over FJs on occassion and I can see the draw. Ultimately, do what's right for you. If you want it, you can afford it, and it will inspire you to get out there (and you'll still be able to afford to). Do it.

dcoy

Adventurer
I'm in the "love em" category. Not sure where the haters are coming from. IMO, there's something almost magical about the FJC. It's got character, it's fun to drive on and off road and there's more than enough power in stock form. The only objective downside I see is there is less room for your junk so you have to be a discerning packer. That's not been deal breaker for us.

BIGGUY

Adventurer
I loved my FJ. You get used to the blind spots and you can always add the little mirrors on the stock mirrors to help out if you want. I thought the power was decent and it does very well off road while stock and even better with a few mods. The biggest thing right off is to get rid of the stock road tires for a more aggressive AT type and that makes a big difference. I used mine a lot on dirt roads and it did good. It was small enough and you could turn around fairly easy if needed in a small amount of space.

The two biggest problems are gas mileage and windshields. Mileage can run from 10 to the low 20s. Stock I hit 23.8 once on a trip and got 18-19 regularly. After the lift, bumpers, winch, etc. I'd get about 16.5 in the winter and 17.5 in the summer at the most. I owned mine for 7 1/2 years and 9 windshields. I never had to clean a windshield as they were replaced so often.

If you are into mods there are several companies that make stuff for them.

Some people don't like the smaller suicide doors especially if they haul kids in car seats or adult sized passengers. You have to open the driver or passenger door first and then open the suicide doors. Also the windows on them don't open. The rear window opens up and not down into the door like a 4Runner and the rear door opens like a door not a tailgate.

Check FJCruiserforums dot com for all kinds of info on everything FJ Cruiser.

The other nice thing is you can get an automatic or a manual 6 speed. The auto has part time 4wheel drive and the manual is full time.

They also hold their value really well so don't be surprised by the high prices.

There are several people with 100K, 200K, and even 300K+ miles on them. I had a little over 203K on mine.

That's just a few thoughts for you. Good luck.

nater

Adventurer
Having transitioned from a 3rd gen to an fj, the interior space is not hugely different as there is so much more headroom. Pack up, not out. My wife and I can pack everything needed for weeks at a time with plenty of room left.

And the power is soooo much better. And the aftermarket is bigger, and there is no carpet, and it looks way cooler.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger