Keeping it light

siebermd

Adventurer
I see a lot of Overland set ups in the gear, gear and more gear range. What are some folks take on keeping it light? Like anyone else, i dig having great gear and the more cool gadgets the better. However in planning a trip and understanding the benefits of keeping your vehicle nimble and light, let alone fuel savings. It seems like the majority of folks are all about loading it up beyond whats really necessary. Or am I way off course??

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
I think it depends on what kind of a trip & how many people. I just explore. So max trip is going to be 8 or 9 days with two people, and two dogs maximum.
For that it stays pretty light, using back packing gear. Most important to me is keeping the back of the jeep open to fit the dog(s).

Some of the places I go can get pretty technical, so low CG and weight bias is as important as overall weight. Every mod is based on this idea.

Lucky j

Explorer
The last post is absolutely wright.

It totaly depend on how you want to do it and where you want to go and what type of obstacle if any you are willing to traverse in your trip.

Back packing gear for two in a 4 door jeep with two dogs, dehydrated food and other w/o a fridge or cooler for 9 days, dog food for your pops and water, some tools and off you go. These are the only thing that you really need. Every thing esle is just based on confort and the type of terrain you are willing to traverse.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I built my jeep with weight in mind. I kept the stock bumpers, just modified them a bit, to suit my idea of what looks good beyond stock. Kept the roof rack to a small one mounted on the top only, no extra bars etc. Its only used if NEEDED. Most of my modifications went into making my jeep drive and handle better on and off road. We travel light, and only take our pop up if we are going as a family.

siebermd

Adventurer
I was at the beach last weekend with a couple friends. Simply a day trip. And we discovered that we had enough recovery and maintenance gear to get us up the side of a mountain. However we all forgot to bring a chair. This is what got me thinking. How much of all of this do we really need. Of course the journey and destination/duration as stated above truly dictates what you will need. Im on a lighten up campaign right now. I like the backpacking gear plan. That makes complete sense as that gear is always made to be light. Another option that can really save on weight is a synthetic winch line. Also, I have been leaving the "Hi Lift" jack at home and have been carrying the X-Jack. Though not quite as versatile, it is very capable as an any surface jack when needed. It is a fraction of the weight and packs up nicely. As always is the case, the item you need the most will be the one you didn't bring.

Here are some considerations, obviously dependent on the trip;
RTT=130lbs / 2 Man tent=4lbs
Hi Lift Jack=30lbs / X-Jack=5 or 6lbs
37Q Fridge=45lbs / Yeti tundra 35=17lbs
Steel Cable (Winch)=30lbs / Synthetic line=1lbs

siebermd

Adventurer
I built my jeep with weight in mind. I kept the stock bumpers, just modified them a bit, to suit my idea of what looks good beyond stock. Kept the roof rack to a small one mounted on the top only, no extra bars etc. Its only used if NEEDED. Most of my modifications went into making my jeep drive and handle better on and off road. We travel light, and only take our pop up if we are going as a family.

Sounds like a great plan. I have moded my rig to just what I need. Unfortunately this cant be done without adding weight on my budget. With deep pockets, you can get all aluminum gear ie. bumpers/racks etc. but at a premium cost.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I have yet to need a winch in all my years of traveling. We use coleman gear pretty well exclusively as its easy to get and cheap. We have a 37qt thermoelectric cooler we load with ICE packs to keep it cold when we stop and unplug the cooler. It works great, keeps are stuff cold for our trips etc. I am in the process of building some sort of insulating cover for it as well. weighs next to nothing but theres no ice and mess to worry about. Just remember to unplug when you stop.

WyoCherokee

Adventurer
For me, its no so much about weight, As it is about space. i like being able to center the weight of my gear in the middle of the vehicle by laying the back seat down flat, and use the divider to keep the dogs in the back. I hate being stuffed into the Cherokee like a can of sardines with 2 people, 3 dogs and all our gear. I keep everything to a minimum and i am an organization freak. My Cherokee tips the scales at just under 4,000 without gear, and fully loaded for a week with dogs, people and gear i am at 4600lbs for a week long trip. Out here, we need a winch and a hilift, i carry a recovery strap as opposed to chain, we only pack food for 3 days and re-stock along the way, composite handle axe and shovel, plastic totes and fabric gear bags, light weight wood for the organizer, and only carry a 2 gallon jug of water, with a filter system to fill up when needed.

siebermd

Adventurer
For me, its no so much about weight, As it is about space. i like being able to center the weight of my gear in the middle of the vehicle by laying the back seat down flat, and use the divider to keep the dogs in the back. I hate being stuffed into the Cherokee like a can of sardines with 2 people, 3 dogs and all our gear. I keep everything to a minimum and i am an organization freak. My Cherokee tips the scales at just under 4,000 without gear, and fully loaded for a week with dogs, people and gear i am at 4600lbs for a week long trip. Out here, we need a winch and a hilift, i carry a recovery strap as opposed to chain, we only pack food for 3 days and re-stock along the way, composite handle axe and shovel, plastic totes and fabric gear bags, light weight wood for the organizer, and only carry a 2 gallon jug of water, with a filter system to fill up when needed.

I like it. 600lbs total including Pax. I would love to be able to get on a scale and see where I am at.

Septu

Explorer
Meh I always pack heavy. And tow a trailer (that I don't skimp on packing). Are there advantages to going light? Absolutely. But I'd rather have something I need then be ticked off that I wanted/needed it and had left it behind in the name of saving 10 lbs. And I know those 10 lbs start to add up. But in the grand scheme of things... it's a 4500+ lb vehicle... is 50-100 lbs really going to make a massive difference? No, not really.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I am currently 500 lbs UNDER GVW and loving life...
Now of course I am still tipping the scales at almost 7000 but for a 3/4 ton Burb all is well.
Once every couple of months I do unpack and repack my rig thinking about what can go vs stay...sometimes I add gear but there is thought to keeping the pounds down.

We eat well, sleep well and enjoy our travels. That is all that really matters.

siebermd

Adventurer
I am planning on a trip from the East Coast to Moab in the not so distant future. I would love to get a RTT, however I am not excited about the weight, bulk, and Aerodynamics. My main goal is to get off the ground for sleeping. I have decided to go with the Teton Tent Cot setup. Turns out it is much roomier then expected. I am saving over 100lbs and no bulk. Wont work for multiple travelers, however more than adequate for a solo trip. We will see..

tent cot.jpg

chasespeed

Explorer
Light.... I guess that is subjective, like everything else on life... We have 3 daughters, 12, 11, and 3. If I do something myself, it's a light trip, as my goal is usually "getting away".

Toying with doing another m416, or similar. Lightweight, and will allow more comforts for them, without taking all the space inside.

Chase

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
I agree with "Keep it light" although at 300 to 800 pounds (trip dependent) our extended load-out isn't really.

The use (trip preference), vehicle and driver capabilities will determine in large part the vehicle mods.

As a long time rock and difficult terrain aficionado (most roads, single and 2 track are boring, at best scenic, for us)... I favor the following;

Aggressive medium sized/width mud tires, with appropriate supporting (gearing & axle) mods,
Selectable lockers,
Winch & supporting accessories, mostly for others... but a necessary safety factor for single vehicle travel in many far places (no cell service); essential in deep mountain snow, off road.
No hi-lift, some seem to need them though...
no sand/bridging ladders (we encounter powder sand rarely),
Soft, long travel suspension.
Minimal body armor (fuel tank; essential, maybe rock(er) rails).

We favor setting up a base camp (ground tent) then exploring by foot or vehicle.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Some things i won't leave home without

Yeah, I can't imagine off roading without a winch. Over the decades the winches have been used often. Last trip I used a snatch rope twice, and the winch once.
I also prefer wire rope after having both, even though it is heavier.
Used my first Hi-Lift jack quite often as well. Back then we all had older rigs, that weren't near as reliable. The comfort of knowing I've got it if needed, and that it will lift the spare tire on and off the rack without me busting a nut, is worth the extra 20lbs on the front bumper.

In the end, I bring enough to be comfortable, safe and able to share with others. I try to do that in a weight, conscience manner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12