Keeping the cruiser

BorderCruiser

Hello everyone, I rarely post but often lurk, almost daily.

How many here are like me and see newer vehicles or pickups and wonder if the grass is greener? I've had my '03 100 series for 8 years with minimal issue and enjoy it every time I drive it. It still drives tight and handles great, even better than some of the newish vehicles I've driven though it has 170k miles.

Lately I've been eyeing Ram Power Wagon and various Tundra's, I know different beasts. Maybe it's the idea of a truck I like or the capability of the Power Wagon, I don't know...

I guess I'm just venting and wondering if I'm the only one or others have the same internal battle as I do?

In the end I love my Cruiser and have no immediate plans to change vehicles, though I do often look at the available options.

Thanks
bad7332ea3fa372ba32baadeac9dd85b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

codename607

Adventurer
I'm sure we all do this. Heck, I have two brand new vehicles and I still want to change them out from time to time. It's the sad struggle that many of us have. Could I go out and get myself a new Power Wagon or Tundra this weekend, yes I could. But I would waste a lot of money. Unless your Land Cruiser prevents you from going out and exploring I would look at all of the positives you have with your current rig.

BorderCruiser

Thanks for the reply..

I know I would regret it as you said. I have no good reason to change, notice I'm not saying upgrade. My wife is in a 200 series and it's our family travel vehicle. My 100 series has done everything I've ever asked of it and often does it far better than I expected it to.

Usually, if I haven't offroaded or camped out of it, I can get on here or Mud and remind myself how great these vehicles and I return to contentment.

I just need to drive what I have and enjoy having the best vehicle I've ever owned.

Upland80

Adventurer
Thought about selling mine a few times...been offered a pretty large sum once or twice. In the end, I love the truck. There's always improvements and sacrifices when changing platforms. In the end, my 80 makes me smile, keeps me busy/engaged with modifications and restorations, can go damn near anywhere a vehicle can go, is paid for, is reliable, can be worked on by myself, is interesting. Can't say all that about many new vehicles without spending a ridiculous amount of $$$. I'll keep it as long as I can.

pika

I know the feeling. I've had a LX 470 (131k miles) for 7 months now and find myself looking at 1st Gen Tundras almost daily. I am constantly browsing facebook and craigslist, even have alerts set up when new ones pop up. I have been tempted to go out and get a Tundra however I have to remind myself that the LX does everything I need it to do.

I think most of it is I feel like I need a truck because that is what I have always had (4 Tacomas). I have gone and looked a couple different Tundras over the past month but just can't bring myself to let go of the LX. Most of my friends, especially my wife, are tired of me asking them for advice as to what I should do. I am glad to know I am not the only one who struggles with it. I have mostly decided to keep the LX for at least a year and then make a decision.

mph

Expedition Leader
Always good to look and question....I had a 99 100 Series and drove it all over.
Sold it with 200K. No issues beside normal maintenance. Then, went with a 200 series...Wow! The vehicles are just the best Toyota makes. Is it perfect? No. But, does your 03 do what you need it to? Cause you headaches? I too have looked at Power Wagons. They look like a great vehicle. However, I believe the Land Cruiser will last without problems so much longer than a Power Wagon. The problem with LCs is that they last too long. You might just sick of looking at it:). BTW...My 99 just came back from a 10,000 mile road trip to Alaska by the new owner. 230k on the clock. No issues.

Having said all of that....Life is too short. Get what you want. Enjoy the ride....

BorderCruiser

MPH,

You might be onto something there, they last so long and are so reliable that they get boring. Just like driving a cruiser 60 miles down PINS is almost boring compared to my old Chevys.

This sounds ridiculous and fanboy-ish, but can a vehicle be so remarkable that it seems unremarkable?

You're could be right in that my 03 very well could still be going strong when a newer Power Wagon is at the end of its life, no offense to PW owners. According to many, my 170k miles is just getting worn in. I just got back from a 4 hour each way trip and mpg hasn't dropped and neither has comfort.

Thanks everyone for helping me realize that dumping $40k+ or $600+ a month on something newer just isn't worth it for me. Also showing me I'm not the only one that lusts over shiny new things...

windtraveler

Observer
I went the other direction and am sooo much happier now. Went from a 4 year old Tacoma that I bought new to a 99 land cruiser with <100k last year and couldn’t be happier, then went from a newer Silverado 2500HD to an 06 tundra with <73k. I have a lot less $$$ tied up in super reliable vehicles that, I’m my opinion, are more comfortable and drive better than what I had before. But then again, I prefer “knobs and dials” over “touch screens”.

With the newer vehicles I was always looking for that greener grass. But now with the older ones I don’t have the tendency to look at vehicles, I’m freed up to explore other ways to spend my $$$

CSG

Explorer
I bought my '02 LX470 with 61-62k miles in December of 2009 and it's been my daily driver since. I have no interest in owning another vehicle until this one is no longer reliable. I was just telling my son yesterday that unless electrical systems start going out, I'll probably keep this car for many more years. If I replace it down the road, I suspect it will be a newer used LX. Perfect vehicle for me where I live and for what I want. I could see adding a sports car again as a second vehicle (love me some roadster) but at this stage of life, it's unlikely.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I have a 2014 Ram 3500 Cummins that I bought new (for camper and business use), but I prefer the 100 series in every way. Mine is at 225,000 now, and in 4 years and 50,000 miles, I’ve done brakes, and a single ball joint. You won’t be saying that for many other vehicles once they get past 200,000.

I just bought an even older Toyota (‘89 VN60 4Runner) as we wanted a convertible toy. Could I have gone out and bought a brand new Jeep? Sure, but the older Toyotas are so damn reliable it just doesn’t make sense to spend all the extra money.

Unless you NEED a full-size pickup for something you can’t do with a utility trailer, it’s a silly move to make. You can get an amazing trailer for the cost of 3-4 truck payments!

Tex68w

Beach Bum
OP, I feel like a lot of us suffer from this internal struggle and sickness, I know it's a daily battle for myself lol. I drive my other half insane going back and forth between different vehicles and modifications and mulling over trades and additional purchases.

I have owned multiple Toyota's and Lexus products of varying generations and none have ever given me any real issues until they eclipsed 200K miles. They are boringly reliable and while that's amazing, it's also the reason that some owners get bored.

I have a 2018 Power Wagon and so far I absolutely love it. It's an incredibly capable machine right off of the lot and requires very little to make it bullet proof and improved over its stock form. It took a lot of research and reaching out to PW owners to convince me that I wasn't buying a pile of crap. I am a Ford guy and I have always poked fun at Dodge and Ram's in the past and even though their bad reputation doesn't really stem from any of the late model stuff, it's still a stigma that sticks with most who aren't die hard fans. In the end I am extremely happy with the purchase and short of a JKU/JLU on 37's, there isn't another vehicle currently sold that is as capable as the PW. That said, most don't need a HD/full-size truck or front and rear lockers or a massive V8 let alone a truck at all. We need a truck and therefor the PW made a lot of sense and allows us to kill two birds with one stone so to speak.

If you don't need a truck for truck stuff then I wouldn't bother, but if you do then there's no better option if you want to use it to do off-road and overland/adventure travel type stuff. If you can afford to have one of each and can justify having both then I say go for it, but if not then I would continue to rock your 100-series and realize that you are not alone in your affliction.

BorderCruiser

Tex68w, I appreciate your honesty and input. I, like you, in the past have held a negative outlook on Dodge/ Ram vehicles but I think that has changed in the last several years and really like them now. That PW is an awesome truck and if/ when I ever truly need a truck it will be highly considered. To me they just look how a truck ought to look and the capability is second to none.

Thanks again to everyone who has offered their insight and helping me realize I'm not alone dealing with the struggle.

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
I have to admit my eyes/mind are constantly wandering and searching for the next “thing”. I feel that’s a common trait amongst car enthusiasts, even though I haven’t been able to convince my wife fully, that I’m not the only crazy person out there.

I have been eyeballing the 2500/PW as well lately. I don’t necessarily need a truck and I wouldn’t get rid of the 100 either. In a year and a half I’ll be in a situation where I only have the 100, so a hole needs to be filled.

The search continues...

(Oh look over there, a Kia Stinger )

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears