key chime

CodyB

Observer
I'm new to the forum and just recently bought a new 4 door standard bed Tacoma. So far I'm pleased with it, but the chime when the key is in the ignition is driving me crazy. Do you guys know of anyway to turn it off? On my last truck, a Chevy, it was a simply unplugging a wire. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. I've got a list of things to start working on to improve the truck but that little "ding ding ding" sound is enough to make a person crazy. Thanks.

CodyB

Observer
I was sent a link to a whole string of posts on the Toyota Territory Off-Roaders Adventure webpage that explained how turn off the seatbelt chime. The directions I followed are below. Even got a tip on the key buzzer which is a project for the weekend. I'm sure this is old news to most of you guys but I'm quite happy with it.

1) Turn the Car 'ON', but do not start the engine (Leave your foot off the brake). Cycle your trip reset knob until it reads ODO. Turn the ignition back off. Wait a couple of seconds.
2) Make sure seat belt is not fastened
3) Turn the ignition back on, do not start the car (Leave you foot off the break) As soon as you see everything light up, press and hold the trip reset knob and do a long 12 second count.
4) Keep your finger on the trip reset knob. Fasten your seat belt, as soon as you fasten your seat belt, you should see the ODO display go from XXXX miles to "b-on". At that time take your finger off the trip reset knob and press it again. It should cycle to "b-off". You should be all set and turn the ignition off and unfasten your seat belt.

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
Great tip it worked! ( that has been bugging me since day one) thanks for posting that. :victory:

Anymore tips you want to share?

I want to re-program the key fob so it opens all doors at once - I searched and found a sequence but it was not working on my 09 Tacoma

Photog

Explorer
Great tip it worked! ( that has been bugging me since day one) thanks for posting that. :victory:

Anymore tips you want to share?

I want to re-program the key fob so it opens all doors at once - I searched and found a sequence but it was not working on my 09 Tacoma

Have you tried pressing the "unlock" button twice? It works on my 4Runner. 1st press unlocks driver door, 2nd press, unlocks all doors.

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
Have you tried pressing the "unlock" button twice? It works on my 4Runner. 1st press unlocks driver door, 2nd press, unlocks all doors.

Yes, I would like to avoid pushing it twice if I could. :)

I am also wanting to get rid of the beep when it locks and unlocks as well, ( this may take a cutting pliers)

...nothing breaks silence in the woods like a electric door lock :Wow1:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I am also wanting to get rid of the beep when it locks and unlocks as well, ( this may take a cutting pliers)

...nothing breaks silence in the woods like a electric door lock :Wow1:

Strange that it does not tell you how to silence it in the owners manual. I have turned off the annoying lock-unlock beeps on other vehicles that way, but my Tacoma did not beep from the start, so I never looked in its manual.

Dipodomys

Observer
While we are on the subject of electrical annoyances, does anyone have any idea how to make the interior lights turn ON when you open the door rather than doing the slow increase in brightness from dim to full power? I'm sure the Toyota designers thought this was a sophisticated feature, but I find it very annoying. When I want light, I want light! I can do without the mood lighting, thanks very much...Any ideas?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior