Kia Sorento - worth your consideration

ExpoMike

The wife (this was before we were married) had a Sportage which she said she had great luck with. No issues or problems. She decided to move up to something a little larger and nicer and bought a top of the line Sorento and said it was the worst mistake she made. From day one she had issues, which Kia never resolved. She had it in a number of times for warranty work but a lot of these electrical issues came up after it was out of warranty. They were not offering the 10 year warranties back in 2003. Her sister has had similar issues with her Optima, many of which came up after the warranty was up. She too had issues from day one.

I am sure the newer ones are much better than they were 8-10 years ago but you pay your money and take your chances. A companies reputation is built on what the last model someone owns. Since the OP was referring to 1st gen Sorentos, this is what I can share about them. Buy a newer one, your results can be completely different but that was not what was asked. YMMV

bob91yj

Resident **************
My daughter has a new Sorento, not the same car at all, unibody, front wheel drive, crossover wanna-be.

IHDiesel73L

Adventurer
My daughter has a new Sorento, not the same car at all, unibody, front wheel drive, crossover wanna-be.

It's a shame-I actually went to a dealership to look at a 2009 in person and of course I got swarmed by salesguys trying to steer me to the 2011-2012 models. When I started rattling off facts about the 1st generation models (part time 4WD, low range, 5000lb towing capacity, body on frame design) they all looked at me like I had three heads. Unfortunately the only 2009 they had was higher mileage than I wanted so the search continues...

sorrieboutdat

sorrieboutdat
the base for the sorrie is from the mitsibishi prados 3.5 l v6 -g6cu eng ,box trans case and live axel but even with that every one undrerates them.
they have good entry and departure angles 8.2" clearance which could be lifted a bit more it only has a 106.7 wheel base which should see it get through most sand dunes the only thing i have found so far is the eng lacks some real punch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan