Kicking around some ideas, 2.8 CRD JK?

NickH

Observer
I'm being stationed in italy for 3yrs come June. Originally I had the idea of bringing home a 25+ year defender but I got a swift kick of reality in terms of cost from a US based defender shop. Rather expensive if you need any major work to be completed. However, a new idea is brewing. Although I wouldn't be able to bring home a CRD JK, I could source the parts to convert one i.e. engine, trans, harness, ecu, etc etc. a 28 mpg jk...:Wow1: IF I could source the parts at a reasonable cost. I might be able to ship parts back in my pack out. I don't really see why not.

Anyone see any unforeseen problems? Should be nearly plug and play if I sourced the correct engine/trans mount. And I wouldn't be dealing with emissions if I tag it in oklahoma. I'm sure if there is a future diesel in the next gen wrangler it will be crazy high.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Sure, you can do that no problems.

Dave from AEV did exactly that for his personal JK, and dieseltoys.com used to do JKs, they don't anymore.

The last diesel engine + 6 speed they had went for $22k - you had to do the install yourself for that price.

-Dan

NickH

Observer
I'll have to price then parts when I get there but I have seen complete rigs for that price. I don't foresee anything close to 22k for parts.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I'll have to price then parts when I get there but I have seen complete rigs for that price. I don't foresee anything close to 22k for parts.

I think if you can get the parts from a wreck, you should be able to get much cheaper than that.
Buying new from a dealer I'm sure would be astronomical.

On sites like www.autoscout24.com I see tons of diesel JKs for around $14k Euro which is $20k usd. Of course, that's the whole JK.

-Dan

corprin

Adventurer
Talk to your auto-hobby shop and see if they are willing to allow the work being done in their shop. Once that has been given the green light, there is nothing stopping you from buying a wrecked JK and swaping EVERYTHING over to a US-Spec truck. Then you are going to have to deal with customs/ntsb/epa when you bring the truck back into the states.

We brought back our Mini from Japan with no real issues... but it was more than 25yrs old.

My advice.

Read the transportation regulations and find out what you are authorized to bring/ship back with you. If I wanted to bring a car back, I wasn't allowed to put my car in gov't storage in the states. Some places require you to bring a car over if you want to bring one back. Once you find this out, either bring something cheap over that you can drive/loose when you leave IT. Hunt down your diesel JK, strip it for all the parts you will be needing for the swap, crate it up, and ship it home. Sell/junk your car you brought, find yourself a nice Defender 110 or Series 109 that is beyond that magical 25yr mark, and bring that home. Once the rover is titled in the US... sell it off. Take that pile of cash you earned, and fund the swap/build with your new drive-train!

NickH

Observer
Customs will chop up anything not stock and non stock when it's 25+ years old. I am still thinking about the defender and selling it like you said.
Talk to your auto-hobby shop and see if they are willing to allow the work being done in their shop. Once that has been given the green light, there is nothing stopping you from buying a wrecked JK and swaping EVERYTHING over to a US-Spec truck. Then you are going to have to deal with customs/ntsb/epa when you bring the truck back into the states.

We brought back our Mini from Japan with no real issues... but it was more than 25yrs old.

My advice.

Read the transportation regulations and find out what you are authorized to bring/ship back with you. If I wanted to bring a car back, I wasn't allowed to put my car in gov't storage in the states. Some places require you to bring a car over if you want to bring one back. Once you find this out, either bring something cheap over that you can drive/loose when you leave IT. Hunt down your diesel JK, strip it for all the parts you will be needing for the swap, crate it up, and ship it home. Sell/junk your car you brought, find yourself a nice Defender 110 or Series 109 that is beyond that magical 25yr mark, and bring that home. Once the rover is titled in the US... sell it off. Take that pile of cash you earned, and fund the swap/build with your new drive-train!

corprin

Adventurer
Customs will chop up anything not stock and non stock when it's 25+ years old. I am still thinking about the defender and selling it like you said.

That's why I was suggesting getting all the parts off a euro-market JK Diesel, crating them up, and shipping home for your swap. I was under the impression they would chop if it's been modified. (see Defender's that have been "rebuilt")

I don't won't to bust your dreams- but 28mpg is not the real world.
Expect the 18 to 20mpg range.
None of my friends is capable to hit 28mpg.

Is the JK that much different from the KJ CRD? I hit 27mpg dragging the expo trailer, and pushing past 31mpg when on the freeway on cruise control.

NickH

Observer
Gotcha. I was hoping I could find everything at a junkyard somewhere and have them crated as you mentioned. We will see I guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears