Kid's Gear: Help Me Clothe The Ladies

bkrobbie

Observer
Attention, Fellow Parents:

As you're well aware, good gear for kids is not cheap, and my girls (3 and 5 years) are growing like weeds.

I can't quite bring myself to buy new stuff, because it I know it will barely last a season at the rate they're expanding, but there are not a lot of adventure families around here to get decent second hand stuff from.

So, while this is potentially the wrong forum, does anyone have any decent winter gear (specifically, waterproof stuff) for kids that is taking up space in your closet?

If so, contact me and let's figure out some reasonable terms, and I'll relieve you of it. Doesn't have to be "girls" stuff, either, so long as it is functional and good fundamental quality.

Thanks in advance!

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I have some light jackets posted here in the classified section now. Not hard core snow gear. Although, I am quite sure I do indeed have some snow suits and the like that my daughter has outgrown. I'll dig around Sunday evening and see what I have. Here is the link: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48759

And I'm looking for mens small or girls size 8 stuff for my son and daughter (ages 12 and 8, respectively)

bkrobbie

Observer
Hi guys, sorry about the delay (as ever, work intervenes)...

Looked at the link to your stuff nwoods, what I really need is hardcore snow stuff. In the event you find those snowsuits, pm me.

Also, PM'd you, LaOT...

Thanks for the responses guys.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
Just a suggestion but why don't you start a "kids gear exchange" thread come up with some guidelines, similar to the classifieds, and get a mod to stick it to the top of the forum?

davidv

Observer
Sportsbasement frequently has Colombia kids gear for about 1/2 of retail. They are in the Bay Area and online also.

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Just a suggestion but why don't you start a "kids gear exchange" thread come up with some guidelines, similar to the classifieds, and get a mod to stick it to the top of the forum?

This is a fun and very useful idea!
Let's work on it over the next couple of days and I'll stick it to the top.

Regards,
Brian

clarkarcher

Very good idea, I have a 4yr old and have a hardtime finding decent quality stuff at a price that I can justify. I will start looking through the closet to see what I can find.

Awkragt

Adventurer
We're doing really well with second hand stuff right now. She's 6 months old but probably has enough shoes till she's 5 or so. We just jump anytime someone offers free clothing. Also when we have craigslisted other baby stuff, like a swing, usually they've also got clothes to go with it. My wife sorts in all by size and boxes it up for when she grows into it.

Snow stuff though, not as much of that.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
So what are the guidelines?
Each post must include:
  1. Age/size
  2. Gender (if applicable)
  3. Item
  4. Wanted/Available
  5. Price
  6. ?location (for large items)

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
So what are the guidelines?
Each post must include:
  1. Age/size
  2. Gender (if applicable)
  3. Item
  4. Wanted/Available
  5. Price
  6. ?location (for large items)

Condition of item? Willing to ship or not?
This is actually a pretty good idea. I know most of the kids clothes I have gotten rid of were in excellent shape, they had just out grown them.

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
I don't know how feasible this is for you parents who are already swamped with kids, your real job, life, etc but I wanted to throw this out there. If someone in your family has the time to work one or two days a week at REI, employees get 50% off all REI brand products and 20% off everything else, plus an extra 10% off whatever is on sale.

I had a friend who worked there with me several years ago and only outfitted her 4 year old son in REI duds. She was a single mom and lived on a shoestring budget, but at 50% off it was cheaper than shopping for kids clothes elsewhere, other than maybe goodwill. You'd also have some great clothes to trade in your exchange here on the expo!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman